News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5th Annual Tucson 1/2A MEPS  (Read 677 times)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
5th Annual Tucson 1/2A MEPS
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
The 2011 1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Scale (1/2A MEPS) meet, at Tucson, flew for record on Sunday, October 10th. I'll try to post "some" images from it, tomorrow. (It's getting late tonight.)

Rules and results can be found at ccmaconline.org.

A seemingly simple concept, but with hidden challenges that drew several fliers, some fairly notable stunt people, as regulars. Their models ranged from beautiful to almost unbelievable.

After a week of howling wind, Saturday (tuning and static judging) and Sunday (flying for score) enjoyed truly great weather: mid-80s, near-calm winds, crystal blue skies.

More tomorrow... (note to Wayne W.: Mike Keville told me you were among those asking for pix. I hope what I'll post will serve you.)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: 5th Annual Tucson 1/2A MEPS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
Results are also seen below in the Contest Results section.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
Some photos, as promised (threatened?)

\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »
More  info about these 4 pix:

Sergio Vargas flew his B26 model on two Black Widows. It flew very nicely, but was not able to max the flight score of 10 laps all engines running. One flight: an engine stopped well into his 9th lap.

Ed Culver came down from Wilder, Idaho, and flew this lovely DeHavilland Dominie (RAF version of the Dragon Rapide). Pix don't do credit to his craftsmanship... Poered by two TDs on bladder pressure. Placed First in "Limited" class - for models without throttle or other in-air functions.

Lou Wolgast's DeHavilland Comet took 2d in Limited. Here, he's enjoying some shade while working on the model.

On the other side of the judges' sunshade, Sergio, on the left, and Glen Allison work on their models. I thought I'd taken a picture of Glen's very neat OV1-D Mohawk; didn't find it on my memory card. Other models visible include Leroy Black's FW-191, with which he took 1st in Unlimited Class; Ed Capitanelli's USMC F-7-F Tigercat and Ed Culver's Dominie on the 'stand.'
\BEST\LOU

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »
 Thanks for the pics Lou. y1 Hopefully we'll get to see some more.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
We have more photos, courtesy of Rickii Pyatt, but they may be too large to post here (and I don't know how to reduce their size).  If you'd like to see them, I could forward her e-mail with attachments.  E-mail me at vsc-guy(at)cox(dot)net.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
Amazing that 1/2A Scale is so simple yet so complicated.   Keep threatening myself to build one.  Had the P-61 Black Widow that was converted rubber kit that got me a first at the only scale meet it flew in.  No throttles.  Had Babe Bee outboard and Golden Bee inboard and it flew great.   Last time I tried to fly it put the gear up thru the top of the plane.   All the glue joints had come apart or was parting.  So be warned.   Also I still love those mountains. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here