News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 25 Years Difference  (Read 500 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
25 Years Difference
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
Thought you all might enjoy this shot taken 8/8/09 at the Flying Heritage museum (Paine Field, N of Seattle) after demo flights of these two birds. Hard to believe there's only about 25 years separating these designs. This was the last demo of the season, pretty spectacular. The rest of the collection is extremely nice as well.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 25 Years Difference
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
Nice picture! Thanks.

That was the era that my father grew up in. He was trained in Germany as sheet metal expert.  He came to the USA after WW I and was working in the metal fabrication arena.  He became a self trained metals expert because new stainless steel and new aluminum products were coming out monthly.  Each sales brocure on a new metal was a text book on metallurgy. Collages didn't teach this stuff because it didn't exist.  Once the ball got rolling it was very steep down hill.

Reminds me of 40 years ago when I first went to work, my company took its first delivery of an integrated circuit. Over the next 10 years I became a logic designer. It was the same as Pop described it - every data sheet on a new circuit was a text book.  Makes you wounder what is next!!  D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »
John
When I started in electronics in 1953 everything was vacuum tubes.  A tube manual gave you a set of bias curves to scale off of for designing the circuit that you were going to use the tube in.  About half of a page per tube type.  You had to bias a tube OFF to control it.

Then Transistors came in and they allowed for smaller black boxes.  You had to bias them ON to use them.

Then came Intigrated Circuits (IC's).  The first of those came with a sheet that included a schematic of what was inside the IC.  By looking at the schematic you could figure out how it was going to work.

Then came Micro Processors and, as you said, A book with each design to tell you how to use it.

Wonder what is next?
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
And as I learned the last few years I was in the field with phone company.  When went bad there was no repairing it in the office.  Just replace with new plug in board.  Even got to where we didn't use a scope any more.  Just follow trouble locating manual according to diagnostic print out.  What really made it interesting was when we had a marginal board. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »
Doc
You mean like replacing an obviously defective part to fix an intermittent problem?

Seen this done more times than I can count.  Never did see it fix the problem.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here