News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Ki-61 Build  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jake Moon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
1/2A Ki-61 Build
« on: August 31, 2023, 11:58:13 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post!
Attending the NATS this year reignited a long-dormant interest in flying. Though I enjoy judging, attending contests, and being at the field, flying has never been something I've done with any regularity. With this new found excitement for flying, I decided to start small and build a 1/2A scale plane.

The question was: what do I build? I have basically no experience with 1/2A engines, so I'll stick with just one. Also, I've never built a plane by myself from start to finish, so it should be relatively simple. So that got me to a single-engined, inline-engined (no perfectly round radial fuselages) fighter plane. I decided to go with the Ki-61—a classic. I found a Walt Musciano plan for a .09-sized Ki-61 and sized it down 33%.

My version has a 20-inch wingspan and is powered by what I'm pretty sure is a Cox Super Bee.

The basic structure. It's a twin keel fuselage using 1/8" balsa keels and formers. The fuselage is built around a 3/16" spar with 1/8" braces.

The airframe put together. It has a Perfect 1/2A Bellcrank in it. This photo has a clevis for the pushrod connector but I later had to change this to a ball link for clearance. It's a tight fit in there! The first former is the firewall and made of ply. I fitted as much balsa block as would clear the bellcrank between F1 and F2 so hopefully that's enough.

A view from the top. The wing is sheeted with 1/16".

With the fuselage sheeted with 1/16" as well. A first-time builder's mistake is visible between this photo and previous one: I sheeted the wing before installing landing gear! I cut back into the bottom of the wing, epoxied the gear to the main spar, and then braced with a mountain of epoxy and wood.

One of the challenges of the smaller size is fitting leadouts. The plan called for them running the length of the inboard wing internally, which just wasn't possible in the downsized wing. So now there are two cutouts in the fuselage to clear the bellcrank and also some further down the wing where the dihedral meets up with the height of the bellcrank, and then aluminum eyelets in the wingtip.

The part I was most nervous about: the cowl and canopy! Thankfully since they were so small, they weren't too challenging.

As you can see in the photos, the bottom of the nose is glued to the fuselage. And then the top half can be removed. It's a very tight fit to get to the bottom two screws for the engine mount, but with a skinny screwdriver it just barely fits.

That's it for now. This has been a fun and educational couple of weeks of building.
Jake

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:30:56 PM by Jake Moon »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Ki-61 Build
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 01:01:18 PM »
My version has a 20-inch wingspan and is powered by what I'm pretty sure is a Cox Super Bee.
Looking good!  Glad to see you flying.  I think, but not 100% sure is that you have a Cox Black Widow.  They came in silver, gold and black and combinations.  You appear to have a late model combination.  If it runs it will have plenty of power for your plane.

Again - welcome back!

Ken
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 08:33:39 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 04:24:36 PM »
Hi Mr. Jake,
I'm digging your build! I especially like the fuselage construction.

While I'm not advocating "stealing a new member from SH," I do want to advertise another site that is heavy in my four site rotation...they'll LOVE to see this plane. Jump over to CoxEngineForum.com. Create an account...watch your spam folder for account validation email. The admin approves using an "admin*" account, which some email systems flag as junk mail.

I use the same username here, on CoxEngineForum and RCGroups. It just makes it easier to keep up with "who's who" between the three.

I'll be watching this one as you continue! Please keep posting your progress.

Thanks for sharing "small!"

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 03:04:49 PM »
Jakr’s progress has been amazing. I have no doubt this plane
will look great. Jake is an incredible plastic model builder and
a wizard with an airbrush.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 05:57:03 PM »
I too will watch for the finish of this little plane.   Is this the same Jake that used to draw pictures at a contest? D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 03:51:18 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. So much of this is new for me, so the advice is appreciated. Here's where the plane stands: ready for paint!

It's all in one piece with the major accessories in place. I made a few mistakes along the way. I couldn't tell the difference between coverings, so I accidentally covered the whole thing with Polyspan instead of silkspan. It required a whole lot more dope and sanding than hoped, but eventually we got there. The bigger mistake was knocking the bottle of dope off the table and spilling it everywhere. You may also notice some discolored wood around the tailwheel—I was using a head gun to shrink a piece of stubborn covering and promptly lit it on fire.

Here's detail on the radiator.

Landing gear doors were cut from styrene. That's a material I'm more familiar with!

The paint plan is going to be as similar to what I do for plastic models as I can make it:
1. Mr. Surfacer 500 airbrushed over major seams and other rougher areas.
2. Tamiya Surface Primer from a rattlecan over the airframe.
3. Tamiya LP laquer paints thinned with Mr. Hobby Self-Leveling Thinner airbrushed.
4. Auto clear.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 08:29:53 AM »
I got to have a look at this at last weeks contest in Dallas. I have to say Jake is very talented and I would expect this to be a winner at the nats if he chose to fly there. He is good just like his dad.

Dick Byron

Offline Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 08:25:35 AM »
We have paint!

Here's the airframe primed and sanded. I used Mr. Surfacer 1000 through my Iwata Eclipse airbrush over the seams and Tamiya surface primer over the entire thing. I discovered a couple spots where the covering was rough or a seam was bad (wing/fuse fillet, leading edge, fuse behind the cowling) so I had to go back with a little putter and reprime. Sanding consisted of 600 wet, then 1000 dry.

I then sprayed white primer over the leading edge (as it will be yellow) and on the fuselage sides where the hinomaru has a white border. Then I masked the hinomaru and airbrushed Tamiya LP-7 Pure Red. Since I had the paint mixed and in the airbrush, I painted the stab, elevator, and rudder.

Here's the plane as of last night.

Here's the livery I've chosen. It's a pretty famous Ki-61 and was the primary option for the recent 1/48 Tamiya plastic model kit. It's one of few Ki-61s that has useful reference photos.

My order of operations from here will be:
1. mask over the fuselage hinomaru and white border and the red tail
2. airbrush yellow over the leading edge and mask over
3. airbrush bright aluminum over the cockpit and then mask the canopy framing
4. airbrush grey blue over the canopy and mask over
5. airbrush the airframe with mica silver
6. mask and airbrush the blue fuse stripes
7. mask and airbrush the wing hinomaru and mask back over
8. freehand airbrush the green splotches
9. mask and airbrush the nose anti-glare panel

Offline Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 10:54:19 PM »
We're getting somewhere now.

I masked the tail and roundels and then airbrushed the airframe with Tamiya Mica Silver lacquer, thinned 30% with Mr. Color Self-Leveling thinner. This is what I use for my plastic models, so I figured it'd work here too. I ended up using about 25 mL of paint to cover this little guy. I then masked and painted the ailerons flat aluminum.

Confession: I've built hundreds of plastic models but had never done a Japanese or German squiggle livery. I've actively avoided them. But here we are. I used a smaller point needle in my airbrush and thinned the olive drab a little less than the silver point to avoid runs. I unfortunately had some contamination issues in the beginning and had a few splatters. I later covered them up with even bigger squiggles. Eventually I found a sweet spot: holding the gun 3 inches from the surface (which felt insane to me) and extremely low pressure: just 15 psi. I typically do my plastic models with the airbrush 8 inches away and at 25 psi, so this felt so weird.

But it was all worth it! After the green dried, I masked off the wing roundels and painted them red. I used a very thin coat of primer again there. Red is quite translucent, so I could get a much thinner, complete coverage over the silver and green wing with primer and paint vs. lathering the red on. I then painted the anti-glare panel flat black. Then I masked off the canopy area and painted it a 50/50 mix of gunmetal and mica silver. Then I masked the canopy frame with 1 and 2 mm Tamiya yellow masking tape (it's the best) and painted it again with a light blue I mixed.

I won't lie—I'm extremely pleased with this. I was practically giggling when I pulled the tape for the blue fuselage stripes and say how clean they came out. Unmasking is always my favorite part. I'd like to give a huge thanks to Frank McMillan who gave me some great advice on painting scale planes and even sent me some reference material for paint colors.

Unfortunately there won't be much more to update with for a while! I move to Singapore in exactly 1 week. So this will get a coat of clear to seal everything and then go into storage for a while.

Jake

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 11:26:34 AM »
Wow, simply Wow.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »
That’s really nice!
Chris…

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 05:25:03 PM »
You are an artist. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here