News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Today at 12:40:37 AM »
May be time to get Mike to fly it and see what he thinks it is doing.
Great idea. Just make sure Mike doesn't know what he is looking for it is not too late.  I love having really good fliers fly my planes from time to time.  I always preface it with how well I think I have it trimmed, even when I know it isn't.  That way I get honest feedback.
Good Luck - ken
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by kevin king on Yesterday at 09:54:12 PM »
Kafin, What kind of fuel are you running? How much castor oil is in your fuel? Some off the shelf fuels only contain 16%. Maybe that's the cause of your black exhaust residue. 
« Last post by Brent Williams on Yesterday at 09:26:56 PM »
What line length? 
I ran that Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 on my LA46 and it was a magical prop!  We launched it around 10,200 RPM and it would settle into a fast 4 cycle in the air.  Very consistent and reliable setup.  Regular OS needle valve with a bit of fuel tubing to seal the needle, and the smaller OS .257/6.5mm venturi.  63ft lines total (c-c).  Lap times were around 5.25 if I recall correctly.  Loved that setup.  Burned up many gallons of fuel with that combo. 
« Last post by Air Ministry . on Yesterday at 09:07:25 PM »
Whadus the propweigh . Stoopid 12 x 6 master free blades 1 1/2 ounces . For Comparison . Bin wondring if the lectric motor ' Gyro ' effect , does something . but then their props are light . So maybe its about even .Perhaps .

Proportionality , atmo density & falling out of the sky .

you notice this when your wing loads 20 oz. sq. foot .  :P  So the cooel of the evening or moaning , if its up in the 30's ( 85 in real money ) theres not as much traction , atmosphereically  . So keep to the cool , initially .

« Last post by Air Ministry . on Yesterday at 09:04:52 PM »
Relevators . Yea , twisted ones are known to happen .  :-[ Even careless ? placing in the car , where it sits on the end of one . Usually I get a piece of chipboard , clamp , & a packer .
Ive got peg marks in all the goodyears just now . Big plastic clothes peg ones . Prudent blokes put 3/32 balsa or somesuch underany pegs ! the cheap chinese clamps go pang , kapow
and fly though any nearby open panels , if you give them any work . SO WATCHIT THERE .

Fling ! we'll get shot , for this , but DO OUTSIDES FROM INVERTED .
high even . If you see how much ya gotta angle the andle , to get FULL DOWN , Comfortably ! , youll know how much to hit . To hang it ona wire . Parta my test , is hang on full up , hang on full down .
At 30 + feet up , and BE READY to step back , leap back , back off . panic , abort .

It SHOULD whip round even , even flinging a tip . But on a bad day , the slipsteam'll Get Ya . Which can result in Right Angle Turns ! Free Flight across the circle , and plain ' Hard left & BANG .
but a good un'll go around 3 or 4 times . Maybe with enough breeze to clear the air . ANY should go round ONCE , 1` 1/2 or 2 if you STEP BACK regular like .

THAT see's it " Turns Even "

Then you hammer it thru some squares , up say 20 foot . Outsides from inverted . One Round Initially . To see if its o.k. . Then same crevate ? , Step Back as you do repeats . Say SIX . a few laps brether & digest the action .Then see if it does it the SAME  from upright on insides . Then YOU KNOW .Course youve gone 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, , going around insides & outsides , to see the speeds the same . A count of ten 7 see how far you got . Or sumint .

If its NOT LOOSE in the upper vertical eight , you should be home & hosed . THAT is a good early TEST . with a be ready to panic provision . but if it sails round steady , half the battles won .

the PROP can have a huge influence on the turn . thinned light smaller ones or three blades toin beda . Outside Triangles too , as a ' trim check ' . initially at adequate altitood .

COMBAT the trick was whack on Full Up , Level . bith ways up , & V c v . so THAT was your MINIMUM cruise hight for the " Turn Into the deck "  get rid of the oppo , trick .
Thisis like BRAKE MARKER TEST , for outbraking Hondas . You get a Max run full wellie clean corner exit , at the hirpin stright , so you get top whack . About somewhere ,
You hit FULL ANCHOR ( with nobody near ! ) and wait till its down to gorner entry speed . If your not there yet , brake later ( and NOTE THE SPOT ) if youve sailed past the corner entry ,
 it may pay to try earlier , next time .
This is the same principle . so you KNOW where it is . Then if nobodys spilt oil , the tempertures much the same , your BRAKES hold the same get up , after a few laps , etc and so on . The hondas are stuffed .

this is why you try it cool calm & collected , quitely & unfussedlly , patiently & pre planed . one stwepata time . a pre flight test plan . nuffin tado wiff da schedule , like . Testing the PERFORMANCE ENELOPE .
Finding the ragged edge . unless its Marty Smith . Then you might have a bit of bother .

Classifieds / Re: OS 40 VF
« Last post by bill bischoff on Yesterday at 08:24:31 PM »
I'd pay $30 for the complete 4D carb if you have it.

Bill Bischoff
« Last post by Matt Brown on Yesterday at 08:06:02 PM »
I have done a few things trying to improve the outside turning. It’s better but I still don’t feel like it’s turning as well outside. First thing I did was move the leadouts forward, a lot to be honest! They are now at the point where the fuse hangs about 2° nose down hanging from both leadouts on one hook. I was out flying with Mike McHenry and he looked it over and noticed that both elevators had some warp to them. They were neutral in the middle but a bit of up out at the tips. I took it home and with my heat gun warped them both down a bit at the tips(elevators covered with Monokote). I also used Blenderm tape to seal the hinge lines on both the elevators and flaps. I have not tried any down thrust nor have I cut into it yet to adjust the pushrod. I flew 5 patterns after these modifications. The first two times was rather windy conditions and I couldn’t really tell much difference. I flew three more patterns today and it grooves well but it gives me no confidence that it will make any of the downward outside turns. I intentionally flew extra outside squares and it seems to do fine on 3 of the 4 corners but it’s just very uncomfortable on the down line turn. I don’t have this uncomfortable feeling on my old SV11.  I’m starting to think it may be all in my head stressing over it being a new plane with a lot of time and effort in it. May be time to get Mike to fly it and see what he thinks it is doing. It won’t be setup like what he is used to but he will have a better idea of what it should be versus whatever it is. His current plane is also a Pathfinder albeit somewhat modified.

Thanks, Matt
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Sina Goudarzi on Yesterday at 02:39:36 PM »
Miss Lexington
« Last post by Paul Taylor on Yesterday at 02:34:27 PM »
You are lucky to have a TT 11x4.5. That was the prop for a LA 46 and should work fine on the P40.
You could launch around 9800 just as it starts to crackle.
If you have not run the engine with wrong mix or screaming lean you might just have some lose screws on the motor or muffler. If you did scorch the motor don’t discard it. Just look for a P&L drop it in a go.

Check all your screws first.
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by kevin king on Yesterday at 01:58:07 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here