News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Classifieds / Re: OS 40 VF
« Last post by bill bischoff on Today at 08:24:31 PM »
I'd pay $30 for the complete 4D carb if you have it.

Bill Bischoff
Open Forum / Re: Balanced turning questions
« Last post by Matt Brown on Today at 08:06:02 PM »
I have done a few things trying to improve the outside turning. It’s better but I still don’t feel like it’s turning as well outside. First thing I did was move the leadouts forward, a lot to be honest! They are now at the point where the fuse hangs about 2° nose down hanging from both leadouts on one hook. I was out flying with Mike McHenry and he looked it over and noticed that both elevators had some warp to them. They were neutral in the middle but a bit of up out at the tips. I took it home and with my heat gun warped them both down a bit at the tips(elevators covered with Monokote). I also used Blenderm tape to seal the hinge lines on both the elevators and flaps. I have not tried any down thrust nor have I cut into it yet to adjust the pushrod. I flew 5 patterns after these modifications. The first two times was rather windy conditions and I couldn’t really tell much difference. I flew three more patterns today and it grooves well but it gives me no confidence that it will make any of the downward outside turns. I intentionally flew extra outside squares and it seems to do fine on 3 of the 4 corners but it’s just very uncomfortable on the down line turn. I don’t have this uncomfortable feeling on my old SV11.  I’m starting to think it may be all in my head stressing over it being a new plane with a lot of time and effort in it. May be time to get Mike to fly it and see what he thinks it is doing. It won’t be setup like what he is used to but he will have a better idea of what it should be versus whatever it is. His current plane is also a Pathfinder albeit somewhat modified.

Thanks, Matt
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Sina Goudarzi on Today at 02:39:36 PM »
Miss Lexington
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by Paul Taylor on Today at 02:34:27 PM »
You are lucky to have a TT 11x4.5. That was the prop for a LA 46 and should work fine on the P40.
You could launch around 9800 just as it starts to crackle.
If you have not run the engine with wrong mix or screaming lean you might just have some lose screws on the motor or muffler. If you did scorch the motor don’t discard it. Just look for a P&L drop it in a go.

Check all your screws first.
« Last post by kevin king on Today at 01:58:07 PM »
« Last post by kevin king on Today at 01:54:25 PM »
« Last post by kevin king on Today at 01:52:52 PM »
Here's more pics of of Dennis' Barracuda
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Today at 12:51:20 PM »
Ken, I recall  seeing only one other picture of a Cuda B&W in a magazine. IIRC, it was all black (or perhaps navy blue). Was that your?
It was Navy blue and silver IIRC but I don't think I ever competed with it.  I was flying out of central Ohio back then.

Ken
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by Colin McRae on Today at 12:00:59 PM »
Kafin

I run an Evolution 36 on my P40 ARF w/ MAS 11-4 prop. The EVO 36 has roughly the same power as an OS 46LA. And I am running 60' 018 lines. And I typically run 10% nitro and 20% oil on my more modern engines. My ground rpm is around 11,500 on the MAS 11-4. (BTW, some have said the MAS props generally perform as if they had less pitch. In other words, a MAS 11-4 probably performs more like a typical 11-3 as an example. Not sure but maybe they flex under load relaxing the static pitch.)

I can't speak to the black oily residue or the health of your particular 46LA engine. But my description below assumes a 'good running' LA engine.

You also have an 'after-market' venturi and NVA. That setup, not being OS stock, might be contributing to some engine run issues, but not sure. If the venturi is too large for instance, that could contribute to an engine run or performance issue.

When I have a new model/engine combination, I don't start with a particular ground rpm. It is actually the last thing I just document for reference after I get the engine/model setup running how I like.

I have run all the various size OS LA engines. They all have worked great for me totally stock. I use the stock tube muffler with the internal baffle installed. And I run muffler pressure on the LA's.

I always start with a 4-pitch prop, usually an APC sport prop. And I start with a prop diameter that suits the model size. In the case of the Brodak P40 ARF with 46LA, I would start with a 11-4.

The LA engines like to run fast for best performance. I personally don't set the needle to try to get a 4-2-4 break on the LA's. Just like the OS owner's manual says, I find peak rpm on the ground (i.e.: if I go any leaner the speed starts to fall off). Then, just as the owner's manual says, I open (richen) maybe 30 deg or so just when I notice the rpm to just start to decrease a little. OS calls this the 'optimum' engine speed. Then I fly the model.

If the model is flying too fast for my liking, I might try a 3-pitch prop. If too slow, a 5-pitch, etc. Totally trial and error. I even try different manufacturers props. MAS, BYO, etc. until I find the prop that flies the model best. In the case of my P40, I ended up liking the MAS 11-4 best.

Then to adjust lap speed, I might play with the line length. (I might also tweak the rpm just a bit, but not more than maybe 200 rpm either way. I still like a relatively fast 2-cycle on the LA's where they seem to perform best based on my experience.

When trying different props, I still set the needle again to 30 deg or so off of peak rpm on the LA's. The ground rpm will be different for each prop I try.

Once I finalize the engine/prop combination I finally document the ground rpm so next time I fly I know were to set the needle.

There are always some tweaks on the above, but this is the basic procedure I have used on any new model/engine combination. It has worked well for me to date.

Also BTW, I run a 46LA on my heavy Vector 40 (62 oz). After numerous prop tries, I ended up with a wood BYO 12-3 which seems to pull the model best. The BYO design is a very wide prop. And I fly the model on 64' lines. My ground rpm is right at 10,000.
« Last post by Dennis Saydak on Today at 11:39:56 AM »
This morning Wes Eakin pointed out to me that the canopy on Wynn's Miss Lexington was very similar to the Barracuda.
Thanks for the picture Dennis because that's pretty much what I recall and I feel good about that!
I was also unaware that Mr Peck was a military guy or was that a nickname?

The article introduces him as Kentucky Colonel Peck, so I'm assuming air force?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here