News:

• May 04, 2024, 11:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Forum / Re: My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by EricV on Today at 11:23:10 AM »
I’d go with the APC 11-4 or 11-5 if you need more speed.  However the black residue is corrosion in the engine and says it’s about done.  Common in humid climates or near indoor humidifiers very long.  Ask me how I know….

Dave

Dave is probably right, but being the eternal optimist, you might check that big muffler and make sure you have the interface smooth and flat and there isn't a vibration/ loose rub going there that is making the black metal.

EricV
Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Dennis Saydak on Today at 10:59:33 AM »
Thought that picture looked familiar. I built one in 1967.  Slightly larger stab mounted in line.  Johnson 35s (I was just a kid and didn't know I was supposed to be using a Fox 35). Flew extremely well but had a short life when a clevis broke on the elevator flap connection.  I-Beams realy *spalt* better than D-Tubes.  Nothing left to rebuild.

Ken

Ken, I recall  seeing only one B&W picture of a Cuda in a magazine. IIRC, it was all black (or perhaps navy blue). Was that your?
Classifieds / Built / Flown CL planes for sale near Spokane WA
« Last post by Paul Wescott on Today at 10:50:25 AM »
Mr. Phil Tallman is still trying to sell some CL models on behalf of a departed flyer.

I do not have contact info for him.  Please use RC Groups PM to get in touch with him.

Open Forum / Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Last post by Les McDonald on Today at 10:33:29 AM »
This morning Wes Eakin pointed out to me that the canopy on Wynn's Miss Lexington was very similar to the Barracuda.
Thanks for the picture Dennis because that's pretty much what I recall and I feel good about that!
I was also unaware that Mr Peck was a military guy or was that a nickname?
« Last post by Dave_Trible on Today at 10:19:44 AM »
I’d go with the APC 11-4 or 11-5 if you need more speed.  However the black residue is corrosion in the engine and says it’s about done.  Common in humid climates or near indoor humidifiers very long.  Ask me how I know….

Dave

Engine set up tips / Prop suggestions
« Last post by frank mccune on Today at 09:23:37 AM »
       Hello All:

I would like to have prop suggestions for the following engines:

MVVS 1.5 diesel
         MVVS 2.0 diesel
         Irvine .20 ci. Diesel
         Irvine .40 ci  Diesel
         OS FP .40 with Davis conversion

These engines will be used for UC Stunt flying.

Tia,

Frank

Open Forum / Re: Elevator horn/pushrod connection
« Last post by Tim Wescott on Today at 09:10:30 AM »
I just widened the fuselage in the back.  Widen it more than you think you need -- I widened mine, got it looking nice on the outside, checked fit, then widened it again because I was too timid the first time.  Mine is going to look -- awkward.
« Last post by Ken Culbertson on Today at 08:58:24 AM »
I ran an OS46LA on my profiles a few years back.  Slightly larger plane (620 Squares,58oz) MAS 11x6 at 9500 on 62' lines. I ran a fast 4 on 5 or 10% and had no power problems.  I am not familiar with your weather so you should rely on others for the fuel mix.  My experience with the LA46 is that it likes to be loaded.  I had very bad results running higher RPM lower pitch props.  The 11x5 should work but you might try the 11x6.  Pix is just to show you the size plane it is pulling next to a much smaller Nobler ARF.

Ken
Open Forum / My P40 Maiden Flight
« Last post by Kafin Noe’man on Today at 08:16:42 AM »
Finally, my P40 has made its maiden flight.
Good flying airplane in general (very authoritative and stable in the air), though I still have to find the perfect prop and engine setup combination.

I currently put
OS LA-46
TT 11x4.5
Nitro 5%
60ft lines eyelet to eyelet

I did experimenting several launch RPM:
9500ish — gives me 5.6 sec lap times with just okay power
9750ish — gives me 5.0 sec lap times with good power, but sags at some point.

I’m still not happy with how the engine runs as it shows very dark/black fuel residue which can also be an indicator that the engine is on too lean side.

I’m going to try other prop sizes.
Will try putting APC 11.5x4 first, then 11x4, and lastly 11x5.

What do you guys think? Which prop size should be the first try?
Engine set up tips / Re: O.S. Max-s 35 wants to shut off?
« Last post by Brett Buck on Yesterday at 11:25:08 PM »
I don't have much experience with idle bar glow plugs.

I happen to have this idle bar plug, but not sure of the manufacturer or heat range. I saw a picture of a Zinger plug and it looks very similar based on the electrode tip being pointed. I also believe K&B made the Zinger plugs once upon a time.

The plug is a long-reach idle bar type. Can anyone please let me know if they know the manuf and heat range?

I will try it out on my OS Max-s 30 next time I am out flying my Banshee.

Thanks in advance

Looks like a Thunderbolt RC plug. Should work if it is not too frosted up and free of taters

Brett
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Advertise Here