News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TR times  (Read 1516 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
TR times
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »
Scott
 Have you heard any practice times from our TR team at the worlds?
Willis  ???
Or anyone?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:07:35 AM by Willis Swindell »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: TR times
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
Only reports I've seen is from Derek on the stunt team.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
Willis,

Dave Fischer and Steve Wilk turned a 3:19 in their first heat race.
I have not heard avout Dick and Tom or Walt and J.E. I will post what I hear
as it comes in most of my info is coming off facebook
The number 1 french team turned a 3:05
The official site to check is http://www.bumacofly.atw.hu/
when and if he starts posting information.
Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
Update on times at the WCH as posted elsewhere on the internet

F2C - Round 1
1st is OUGEN/SURUGUE French team 3.05.0;
2nd is SURUGUE/SURUGUE 3.06.3;
3rd is BONDARENKO/LERNER 3.07.5;

Fitzgerald Ellin 10th 3.13
Simons Potter 15th 3.21
Letchford Walton 18th 3.22
Wilson Poschkens 19th 3.23

From Steve Wilk via facebook
Round 1
Perkins, Albritton 3:30
Lambert, Fluker DNF
Wilk Fischer 3:18

From the Barton Forum
Rob Fitzgerald and Mark Ellins have just posted a 3.02 in Rd 2!!

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »
That is getting fast.  That is 100 laps with pit stops fellas.  I think the good teams are making less than 10 second pit stops.   n~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Willis Swindell

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
Scott
Thanks  for the information .
Willis  H^^

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
Doc,
Pitstops must be well under ten seconds for the times shown the laps times are running in the sub 17sec./10 laps
therefore the pit stops are under 5 sec.It would not surprise me to see a sub 3:00 heat before the end of this contest.
There are a few teams turning lap time below 16.5/10 laps.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
It's a good thing the FAI went to the larger diameter (.35mm vs. .3mm) lines to slow the models down. :) The current heat time record is 3:00.8 set with the .3mm lines.

If the model is doing 17/10 in traffic, the start is likely 2-3 seconds (lean over or kneel down, grab model, and one flick), with total impact of a pit stop being about 5 - 9 seconds (time difference for 10 laps with a pit stop and 10 laps without a pit stop).  That points to 1/4 - 1/2 lap shutdown and landing.  The mechanic probably has his hands on the model for about 3 - 5 seconds.  The pilot barely has time to reset to the proper launch position once the mechanic has the model.  Obviously a single flick per pit stop.  A single flick costs 1/4 - 1/2 second.  Each following flick is something like 1/2 - 3/4 second.  Frustration sets in after about the third flick and the time for each flick seems to increase (BTW, you are already out of the race).  HB~>

100 laps @ 17/10 = 170 seconds
start = 2 seconds
2 pit stops @ 8 seconds = 16 seconds

Total = 188 seconds or 3:08

That is an impressive time.

Newer tank technology allows for starting while still filling. Older tanks would allow the mechanic to start the engine but the window of how long before the mechanic released the valve or the engine shutoff again was very small.  Whether the tank directly support starting while filling or the mechanic is timing the flick, timing of the flick is utmost because the pilot is going to take the model as soon as the engine starts.  If the tank isn't full when the engine starts, too bad.  The model is in the air.

Not only do the times reported reflect very good equipment, it represents excellent teamwork between the pilot and mechanic and an outstanding demonstration of  piloting and mechanic skills.  The same equipment in the hands of a lessor team can easily turn times in the 3:45 - 4:15 range.  :'(

Dave

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
Pictures from the WCH go here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fesselflug/

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »
Yes that is the way we would time pit stops.  Fly ten laps for a time.  Then ten more laps for time with a pit stop.  The pit man can only get so fast.  It is up to the pilot to get it to the pit man so he can do his thing.  And some of these were close as the prop must be stopped before the pit man can grab.  That is unless the rules have changed. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Flipping while filling is the norm in F2C now, fun to watch!  Pressure refuel rigs and finger valves are neat.  Diesels only though, IMO, having an alcohol bomb strapped to my arm, the one with the hot fingers, doesn't appeal to me!
Gliding time to the minimum is necessary for all racing.  I've found gliding laps taking between 7-10 seconds, Clowns and SSRs being the slowest.  A gliding lap is a lot of handicap to put on yourself.  Takes a lot of practice by the pitman to be ready for 1/4-1/2 lap shutdowns, and a lot of pilot familiarity with the airplane.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
Don,
With a half lap shutdown a pit under 5 sec from the time he shuts it off until the engine start is pretty common these days. But you are right both pilot and pit have to know their equipment and practice, practice, and more practice. <=

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
This just in the provisional results through Round two are here
http://users.atw.hu/bumacofly/wch/dokumentumok/f2c_results.pdf

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
In F2C, a powered lap can be in the 1.7 sec time range.  A gliding lap is somewhere between 3 - 6 seconds.  So it is important not to glide any further than necessary.  The mechanic can't touch the model while the prop is turning.  So that adds an additional thing to consider.

For a race that is not the World Championships, most teams have the pilot hit the shutoff over the mechanic or within the next 1/4 lap past the mechanic.  The pilot transitions to the outer part of the flying circle and starts dragging back on the model to slow it down.  Roughly 1/4 lap ahead of the pit location the pilot heads for his pit position on the pitting line.  It could be a spiral arc but more likely it is a diagonal chord between the two points.  The pilot needs to pass over the previous segment boundary at least 1 meter in the air (39.36 inches) and then land in the pit segment.  A medium arm extension should put the middle of the outboard over the pit line at the mechanic.  Once the mechanic has the model in hand the pilot shifts slightly forward, plants the push off foot, crouches, and gets the fingertips of the non-flying hand on the ground.  If the mechanic is reasonably good, the engine will start about the time the pilot's hand hits the ground.

This sounds jerky.  For a team used to working together and both members trust each other it will seem almost like a smooth motion.

BTW, ever notice the lines at the wing tip of a F2C model always seem to have a bend at the leadout guide?  That comes from the inertia of the flying lines when the mechanic makes his catch.  The model is moving at a real good clip when the mechanic grabs it and the lines whip forward from their trailing position to some distance ahead of the model.  Some mechanics have softer hands than others but the model comes to an abrupt stop.

For a World Championship race, the starting point for the above sequence starts somewhat later in the pit lap.  Perhaps 3/4 to 1/2 lap from the mechanic. ~^

Dave

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
Is this what you call a line bending catch?
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »
From the look of the muscles in your forearm, I'd guess you were working hard!  I can't imagine catching a model weighing 2x what the current model weigh going the speed they are when the get to the mechanic.

The worst blood blister I've gotten came from a wing catch for a Mouse Racer.  Only weighs 6 oz but the pilot was excited!

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
The pit man is supposed to give a litle when catching.  Gives time to clamp down on the out board wing.  With enough practice can be done without looking at the plane the last couple of feet.  At the 2004 champs I was blown away at some of the pit stops.  But, like you say, todays equipment is nothing like the stuff we used back then.  I was still trying to get under the max weight.  The fiber glass shells helped in that department.  Notice the fuel bottle in the pit mans hand.  That was hi tech back then.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Willis Swindell

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
The pilot has to give also if he doesn't you loose the wing.
Willis

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »
They have started posting the standings:

http://bumacofly.atw.hu/wch/results.html

Dave

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Giving a little on the catch is an understatement. My 16 year old son while getting better about landings has a tendency to get caught up upin the moment as do I. For him learning to bleed off the speed has been a chore and yes I have a picture somewhere of a wing giving way under a hard catch. This picture is about 2 years old but it does give you an idea.
On edit: The second picture is Ron when he was about 5'10 now he is 6'1" with big feet to match he is a up and coming pilot now if I can keep those pesky girls away.  HB~>
Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
F2C third round results are up on the results page:
http://users.atw.hu/bumacofly/wch/dokumentumok/f2c_results.pdf

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
There are no 1/2 lap shut-downs in F2C.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Willis Swindell

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
For some reason I can’t open the PFD files for the scores, could some one tell me where our  teams are and some times.
Thanks Willis

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
For some reason I can’t open the PFD files for the scores, could some one tell me where our  teams are and some times.
Thanks Willis

I cracked the cypher:

1st, 3:02
12th, 3:14,
USA, 16th, 27th, & 32nd, 3;19, 3:25, & 3:29.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
There are no 1/2 lap shut-downs in F2C.

Bill

Well, probably not intentionally ...  ;D

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
Scott, don't tell him about the ladies competing at the 2004 Worlds.  Especially in F2C.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here