News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tempest  (Read 1476 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
Tempest
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
Scott I was wondering if you ever found the picture of our fleet of Tempest we use to race?
Willis   f~

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: Tempest
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
that thing pulled like a bear. real fast also ~~>
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
Willis,
I had forgotten about our conversation about the Tempest I will look this weekend and see if I can find those pictures. Your right Joey Now that I think back on it we probably could have moved the lead outs forward. Mine did pull like a flying cinde rblock Mark use to complain everytime he flew it plus it was a bear to pit.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »
The lead outs were fine don’t you remember Walt Williamson laying on his back shooting pictures as we flew the Tempest over him?
Willis

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 08:18:52 PM »
all i remember is a sore arm for a week

Willis Swindell

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:45:30 AM »
Joey
You flew Jimmy’s red one it was about 10 oz heavier then the rest The 5.8 K&B didn’t help  in the weight department either. My white tempest was the lightest. In later years we used it in fox racing. We still have it hanging on the wall.
Willis  f~

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:36:25 PM »
make the kid do all the work. j1 j1

Willis Swindell

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »
ya a six foot four inch kid.
Willis   **)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 05:17:01 AM »
you know i had a blast flying at all them racing contest  with you and john.

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
Here is the beast hanging up in the back of the garage.
I remember the version before this one. It had a problem when I hit the shut-off. I told Willis that it felt like the bellcrank was hanging up on something in the wing. Every time we would it check out, the controls were smooth as silk. Finally the beast got the best of me the last time I applied down elevator to shut it off and it pancaked.  We checked the controls and again smooth as silk. I then grabbed a handle and hooked it up to the lead-outs and started pulling with Willis hold on to the fuselage. Low and behold, the metal (Fox) bellcrank started to bend with considerable pull, (about what I thought it was pulling during the flight). Then I grabbed the pull scale and when the bell-crank started bend, the pull scale read 90 pounds. No wonder my arm hurt at the end of a contest. Then I found out why Willis Swindell, Jimmy Welch and Scott Jenkins like to be the pit men. They were pretty good too.

John Tate

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:44:43 AM »
Hi John,
I will look for those photos this weekend and thanks for the compliment. My Tempest was probably the heaviest of the three. The few times I flew it, I knew that hangin in their for 140 laps was a real chore.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here