News:

• May 18, 2024, 08:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SuperSlow at ABQ  (Read 724 times)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
SuperSlow at ABQ
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »
I've read over some of these threads on SSR and have been looking forward to the ABQ for some time now. This will be the 4th visit for four years straight. Racing seems to be catching on...look at all those flying machines in the pictures!

I'm interested in the propping out for the SuperFly type plane....., some using APC 8x6s all the way down  to 7s. What are some good props and typical RPMs that Race guys are seeing with LAs, OS,  ThunderTigers and Brodaks?

When I flew Bill Lee's Fox racer four years ago, it had a Fox 35 and I think it went about like our Sport Goodyears, about 85mph? But at a Dallas contest earlier this year the same ship went 100mph with the Brodak 25! I've got a ThunderTiger .25 that has  flown in its Vintage BTeamRace "Dude" only three times in ten years..... I think it needs to fly some.

Heading for the Wichita this weekend so I'll be seeing Melvin Schuette at MBS so maybe someone can tell me what props I need to tell him I need?

Finally, here's "Thanks" to all the ABQ folks for running this meet, it is always friendly and fun,
dg

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
Re: SuperSlow at ABQ
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
Hi Dale

I've Flown and tested all the engines you've listed. I settled on the APC 7.8x7 for the O.S. .25FP and LA. My T.T. GP .25 liked the APC 8x7 sport prop the best. The Brodak likes even less load. I used an APC 8x5 Sport Prop on this engine, while Dave Hull's Brodak likes the Taipan 7x6 the best. The ground RPM's for the LA, FP And T.T. were between 14,400-14,600. I've not bench run or tacked the Brodak yet, so I have no #s for that engine. Prop choice for an SSR depends somewhat on how clean your airplane is. One of the fastest combination's I ran was an modified Artesian with O.S. 25 FP with the old style APC 7.8x7. and a .315" diameter venturi with O.S. FP needle valve assembly. If your T.T. has a fairly tight pinch at TDC it should work well for you.

Regards, Les

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »
Thanks Les.

Looks like  the APC 8x5 and 7.8x7 will be good to try  in the beginning.

I think in the past Tom Hamblet has used the same size props at the higher elevation at ABQ as here in the Dallas area.  I'm curious as to pitch/diameter requirements at the higher elevations. It will be fun finding out, got a long way to go.

Again, thanks for the reply,
dale g

Offline Gary_Marchand

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
Hi Dale, Glad to hear you are coming to Albq. Looking forward to seeing you and Linda again. Don't forget to remind me to bring out the Brisket.

Don't know much about racing, but can tell you that Double Eagle Airport is about a mile from our flying field and same elevation-hence same weather. Right now, which is about the time we would be racing, it is 82 degrees, 28% Rel Humidity, and the barometer is 30.16. Little high as we have your high pressure parked over us. Anyway, that comes out to ~8000 ft density altitude with an air density of .0602 lbs/ft-cubed and a relative density of 79%. Since you will be flying over asphalt, I figured it for 92 deg and 102 deg. Raises density altitude about 500 feet for each 10 degrees with a corresponding decrease in density and rel density.

Got the airport info from usairnet.com and the density altitude calculations from wahiduddin.net/calc. As a retarded pilot (oops, retired) you can maybe make some sense out of all this. I have been told, by oldtimers that live in the area, that you need more pitch, along with nitro, to get the same stunt run as down in the flatlands. Don't know, just know that on my stunt ships I run 6 pitch up here and 5 pitch at Tucson.

Want some fun, look up Los Alamos airport's numbers and figure it's density altitude.  Bring all those Texans with you. You have heat, we have heat and altitude. Make it more fun! See you soon.
Gary
Forever a beginner - Gary

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here