News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super tigre G21/40 Ringed  (Read 947 times)

Offline Les Akre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super tigre G21/40 Ringed
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
Is this engine comparable in top end H.P. to the K&B 4011/8011 series, or is it primarily a sport/stunt engine?

Les

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super tigre G21/40 Ringed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
The G21/40 used to be the King of rat, in the golden age when anybody could buy one and have an equal chance (along with 20 others) of winning.

Then those RV engines came along and there was new top dog every six months.  I started building a pan rat with a K&B RV 40, but took too long to finish it.  Mine is called a "Series 70".  It was 30 MPH faster than the G21/40, but I was too late.  It still wasn't enough.  I still have the plane. Flew it this year. Still fast, but not was enough.  Now it's Formula 40 Speed job.  Rat went to 15's.
Paul Smith

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
I can't answer the H.P. question but all the G21/40's I've seen were lapped piston engines and not rings.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
Do you mean the G21-40 that is the "little brother" to the G21-46 of Stunt fame? I've been in Texas over 25 years and I don't ever remember seeing one of these used in Quickie Rat. I'm assuming that's what your thinking. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I would have to think that they were not competitive with the K&B and OS, or you'd see people running them. Perhaps Bill Lee could chime in on this one...

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
Hi Bill

I'm always curious about the different engines that qualify for use in TQR. Our club used a lot of G21/35's for fast combat in the 70's, but I've never seen anyone use a G21/40 for anything locally. I don't know if it was because they are not as powerful as the K&B's, or if it was an availability issue. I've used the O.S. 40H. My example wasn't anywhere near as fast as my K&B's, so I set it aside. I was thinking of obtaining an G21/40 for testing, but the collectors crowd has the prices on these jacked way up, and they're kind of scarce too. Was just a thought...

regards, Les

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:49:50 AM »
I bought two ringed G21.40's in the early 60's.  Both were raced heavily in pan rats.  One was crashed on the pavement and the other is in a stunt plane.

When these enignes came out, they domianted Rat, Class I Carrier, and RC Pylon.  Nobody bothered to put one in a stunter until they got squeezed out of the performance events by the newer RV's.

Incidently, the engine was found to be OVERSIZE and ILLEGAL.  AMA protected World Engines and its cutomers by stretching the definition of "40" to .4028.  The rule saved my two engines and the models I built for them, but I never quite accepted the principle of making the rule fit the engine, rather than the opposite. 
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
21 / 40 is small bore 21/46. theres ' variations ' Liner O.D. early and late like silencer lugs. Bolt pattern to heads differant to 46 .

Pistons cuttaway fore and aft under, you can see with piston at top , thru ex port. This screws em a little with silencer-ex. is fed back a bit.

Their good for a lotta things, Will swing a 12 x 6 on 4 mm intake on straight no nitro fuel,on the 9 mm intake , c/case pressure and a 11 x 4
its good for doing manouvres upwind in a stunt ship.

Same set up on 20 % nitro its " ive never seen fuel go into an engine so fast " from a 3 decades comp flyer !

Abouta 4 - 5 mm intake for stunt , 11 x 5 prop or trimmed 12 x 5 , and 10 % nitros something like it , stdish muffler. youll get a OS 35 silencer on the non muffler lug one , or if someones shaved the lugs. works good.

9 x 7 for combat, 8 x 8 or 8 x 9 for wottle she do , I guess.

If the old bearings are a bit noisy under punishment , its probl nitro corrosion , and itd pay to fit new QUALITY ones,
after tearing it down and seeing if the rests up to it .

or send it to ME !   H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here