News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Fly screw-up. Possible fix??  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Super Fly screw-up. Possible fix??
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:29 PM »
Well I made a dumb move on the Super Fly the other night.  Sleep deprived from too much work, and trying to make some progress on the fusealage- I accidently swapped the nose doublers - one with engine cut-out ended up on the IB side. This results in my having to invert the fuse to get the engine on the OB side. Thankfully the wing is symetrical so it still fits the cut out with the Leadouts coming out the correct end!

I had already glued the basswood top and bottom caps on the fuse- with the top one stopping at the stab leading edge. I had used the stab mount area as my reference line when laying out the wing cutout, so I kind of need to mount the stab there to keep the incidence between wing / stab correct.

Soooo- what problems might I encounter if I mount the stab on the bottom of the fuse, and put some plywood tip plate / sub rudders on the ends of the stab with imbedded wire to act as the tail skids.
I can beef up the stab / elevator with glass / epoxy and add some triangle stock at the mount to increase strength. Checking CG of bare airframe w/o tank, gear, finish shows it is nose heavy, so the extra weight of beefing up stab should pose no issue.

I think structurally it will be OK, but dont know how it might affect the flying qualities.
All thoughts, ideas, theories, conjecture, jabs, jibes and comments are appreciated.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Fly screw-up. Possible fix??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »
couple more pics
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
 Hi Bill,
          I would cut out the doubler to fit the engine and then I would make a 1/8 aluminum plate on the inboard side to cover the booboo. It will also make the engine mount stronger at the same time.
 Al

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
It wouldn't even need to be aluminum. An 1/8" ply plate would be at least as strong as stock, and maybe a little easier to deal with.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »
Hey Bill, No need to have your world, or the fuselage turned upside down, we've all done this before!

Just cut out the outboard doubler so that the engine will fit, and add a full depth cheek cowl on the inboard side to firm up the front end as per the plans. make sure the cheek cowl covers 25% of the wing chord. This will strengthen the wing joint as well.

Cheers, Les

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
Do as Les says.   But if you are just flying for sport the way you have your stab/elevator may work for a while.   Other wise it may be getting knocked off every time the pilot lands and/or when the pit man catches it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
Talk about a Dooohh! moment;  sometimes the obvious escapes me. Make a cutout on the correct side. Sheees- I can hardly believe I had to be told that.

Thanks for the reality check guys- sometimes I can't see the tree 'cause I'm worried about getting lost in the forest.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
Cutting a splice say 2 in long over the spar and flipping the back half over'd do it .
just a cut at an angle , same Ea side . So youve a front and a back fuselage untill
there fitted. Glue on both faces to get total adheshion .Keep a window open ! ? mw~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
Talk about a Dooohh! moment;  sometimes the obvious escapes me. Make a cutout on the correct side. Sheees- I can hardly believe I had to be told that.

Thanks for the reality check guys- sometimes I can't see the tree 'cause I'm worried about getting lost in the forest.

We,ve all done that at one time or another.  Wait til you put the controls in the wrong wing.   Never let my brother forget that one.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »
Doc- if i ever put the controls in the wrong wing i will finish the plane and give it to Leo Mehl -he flies the wrong way around!
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here