News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Fly lives up to name- it flies!!!  (Read 757 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Super Fly lives up to name- it flies!!!
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
Managed to get out of work before dark, constant wind of last 3-5 weeks finnaly took a break, and the Super Flywas ready. Loaded up and headed to Maloof Field. Light wind - not straight into sun, lets go. Set up the stooge, hooked up the Tutor II and put up 1 flight just to get ready.

Swapped lines to Super Fly, squinted at elevator and it was moving right direction. Hooked it to the stooge, sits almost level with 1" prop clearance on the stooge.

Fired it up and ran 1/4 tank, played with needle, held it to see how much vibration, etc. Shut down, checked it over and found the elevator horn to pushrod bolt back 1/2 way out. Tightened it up, checked it over again - looks ok- check stooge, and fire it up again. Leaned it out pretty good, then backed of about 1/4 turn- maybe 500-700 rpm ( no tach).

On release it rolled briefly- then was off and climbing. outside wing a bit high for 1-2 laps, and needed to hold some down ( maybe 1/3 handle) to get it leveled out and cruising.
Flew smooth, fair line tension- not a lot, and needs the elevator trimmed- but once leveled out it was moving pretty good, no stop watch but about a count of 3 mississippi, well maybe 4- we'll see!

Engine got a bit ragged for 1-2 laps then shut of clean, didn't drop the nose too much, and I whipped it past straight upwind to the downwind side, about 2/3 lap. Landing Gear is a bit wobbly- I have to think on that a bit.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Super Fly lives up to name- it flies!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
Well at least you have something to work with.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here