News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:49:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Shoestring-Launching issue  (Read 3098 times)

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Shoestring-Launching issue
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
I flew a newly built Sig Shoestring for the first this evening and found that it seemed to like to turn in/roll at me on the launch.  I noted that this happened more when I was running higher speeds with a 7x6 APC prop than when I overloaded it with a Zinger 7.5x7 woody or with a Taipan 7x4 plastic.  The plane was flying on 52'x.015" lines with a Fox 15 for power and I have about 5/8 oz in the wingtip.  On landing I do not have any tension issues and the wings stay level.  I have balanced it by adding about 1/2 oz to the tail to keep it from diving towards the ground on the power off part of the flight (this seems to work fairly well).  I spoke with another flyer who has recently built one as well and he said that he has encountered a similar condition with his airplane, but only has one flight to base this on.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BTW this is for the Lansing leg of the Tour d'Michigan.  That area club thought that this would be a good entry level type airplane to run in a speed event where you are timed for 16 laps from take off.  Except for the 1/4 to 1/2 lap of freeflight this airplane seems to perform very well.
Thanks,
John Paris
John Paris

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Shoestring-Launching issue
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »
I will have to dig a set out and measure to be sure but memory says we used .008 X 52ft solid lines on the .15 sized Goodyear's back in the 70s.
We ran ST or Rossi .15 engines.
Is your engine a stunt type Fox?
You might want to try .008 stranded as solids are a pain to maintain.

The Good year race planes were mostly sig Shoestrings and Busters.
Very docile and easy flying airplanes.

WMW
David Roland

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:24:17 PM »
There are lots of things that can contribute to this behavior.  

Before you start trying to change the model, how are you launching the model?  Many folks are flat-footed and relaxed, then signal the pitman for release and then try to catchup to the model on the takeoff roll.  That works for large slow models.  It doesn't work for fast models and definitely doesn't work for small fast models.

Hit You Tube and search for "F2C" and you'll find examples of what I'm describing in the next paragraph.

You want to be about 1/2 step in front of a line stretched from the model to the center of the circle.  Your body is facing in the direction you are going to be moving with your arm extended to the side toward the model an the lines tight.  You should be slightly crouched with a comfortable stance.  Your right foot is placed so you can push off with it like a runner would and your left foot slightly forward so you are balanced and ready for the first step. Forget signals, you want to pull the model out of your mechanic's hand as you step forward, pushing off with your right foot.  The mechanic releases as you pull.  The mechanic does not push or turn the model.  A one hand release by the mechanic is probably best. Once you start moving, keep going.  Then use the length of your arm to sweep the handle forward and perhaps slightly up (but not up over your head).  If the model is light on the lines pulling your arm into your body as you are stepping (smartly) around the pilot's circle should take care of the lightness and give you a good launch.

If that doesn't work, check that the wheels rotate freely and the LG placement.  Sig used to show the wheels way far forward which can cause the problem you've described.  For ideas on LG placement look at the pictures in this forum from the recent Dallas contest.  "2009 Charles Ash Memorial Racing Results" There are lots of pictures of Goodyear models to give you an idea for LG and wheel placement.  

If the LG/Wheels are right and you are still having problems then it is time to look at the leadout placement vs. the CG.  But I'll leave that until you've looked at the other possibilities.

Dave

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
I will have to dig a set out and measure to be sure but memory says we used .008 X 52ft solid lines on the .15 sized Goodyear's back in the 70s.
We ran ST or Rossi .15 engines.
Is your engine a stunt type Fox?
You might want to try .008 stranded as solids are a pain to maintain.

The Good year race planes were mostly sig Shoestrings and Busters.
Very docile and easy flying airplanes.

WMW

The powers to be are leveling the field by restricting us to the Fox 15X or Steel Fin designs for this event.  We are also restricted to 0.015" x 52' for flying lines.  Mind you, I am not having issues with the restrictions on the event, just concerned about the turn on the launch and if there was a way to deal with it while staying within the rules.  Thanks for the response.
John
John Paris

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
More tip weight will  help. The British have a much better solution to the dreaded two-wheel turn-in problem. They use a mono-wheel gear. Presto, no more problems!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
John, why do they limit the event to an engine that is no longer available?  That is unless someone has a large stash somewhere.  When the Sky Devils started Class II Goodyear we limited the engine to plain bearing types.  In time it bacame apparent the the Fox .15 Schnurle plain bearing was the hot setup, but, the bearinged engine was easier to get.  I won our first event with the Sig Shoestring and Fox .15 Schnurle plain bearing.  Have not won anolther event since.  But, as stated the pilot has to stay ahead of the plain on take off and landing.  Pit man should not have to look at the pilot.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »
Doc,
One of the local guys has been getting some of the Fox 15s off of the bay to have ready for this event.  Unfortunately he was unable to attend due to a conflicting event with NASCAR.  In any case, I think that he was making the engines available for $20 or $25 if you did not want to get in on the bidding.  We had toyed around with letting it be open to to all plain bearing 15s but since there is a general difference in performace in what is available out there, we decided that there were enough Foxes available that we could give this thing a go and keep people on the same level.

As it turned out for this event there were only 2 entries, me and one other guy and we both had Shoestrings.  Although I know this is a racing forum when I asked the question I figured it would be the best place to get info on these type of airframes even though we ran the event a bit more like a speed run.  The airplanes were timed from take off to the end of 16 laps to get what I believe was a mile.  I watched his launch and it did turn in and the wing rolled a little bit toward the center of the circle, but it was back on the end of the lines by 1/3 of a lap or so.  Mine did much better with no additional changes other than taking off more downwind than during my practice session.  Interestingly his airplane was flying without tip weight and I had 5/8 ozs on mine and they looked about the same in level flight from what I could tell.  If I recall correctly there was no mention of tip weight on the plans either.

For what it is worth he finished the timed portion (16 laps) in 1:12 with an 8x7 MA and I finished in 0:55 with a 7x6 APC with both of us on 10% fuel.  For me it was a worthwhile project and I hope to see more pilots out there next year.
John
John Paris

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
John,
If you are up alone, it is speed--not racing! ;D

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »
You have arrived at the ultimate in limited performance, not enough power to get off the ground.

Those engines went out of use for a reason.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »
Where the lead outs are positioned makes an incredible difference in the takeoff.   Generally the stock position gives a good take off run but moving them forward gives you a better hight speed run.   I once spent a dozen flights with an adjustable lead out guide getting my goodyear plane at the best balance between take off and high speed.   In the end I settled for a little forward of stock and stepping back quickly to the middle of the circle to keep tension on take off.
Bob

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »
How about putting a little deliberate drag (bind) on the outboard wheel?  It sure works to turn it in when it's on the inboard.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »
'sota Modeler and friends,
The only problem with that plan (adding drag to outboard wheel) is that you will have to add up control to keep from nosing over on takeoff. I had the inboard wheel drag on takeoff in racing practice last week on my SIG Buster. It chewed a prop down to the hub and got a really good shaft run out of it. The vibration busted the tank, too. I have probably 1/2 to 1 ounce of tip weight, and I had my arm in it good so it didn't roll in. The pilot really has to have initial tension before release, like Dave Rolley said. Being ready to apply tension isn't good enough for a plane that will really accelerate.

I assume that we are all talking about flying from pavement?

A little extra tip weight isn't going to slow it down. We add extra tip weight when it gets gusty.

We run either .015"x52' stranded or .012"x52 solid (faster) in our SCAR Goodyear. We have also raced these (SIG Buster and Shoestring) in AMA Scale using .014"x60' solids, but it was very marginal on takeoff without adding more tip weight. I "freeflighted" mine a couple of times during a race before I lost partial control and buzzed the prop. I forgot the extra tip weight.

No way would I even sport fly this combo on .008" lines. One thing to watch is if you get a "torque roll" on takeoff, and the plane cuts across the circle, the yank when it hits the end of the lines again will be hard. Good sized lines may prevent a disaster.

I will be interested to see how the "Limited Stock Engine GY Event" turns out. The SCAR members have talked about doing this very thing with Fox engines.

Dave "McSlow" Hull

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
Dave, I guess I forgot to mention wingtip weight.  I still do that to all my racing planes even tho my son is pretty quick.  I think it helps in landing also. 

The one engine rule is great until someone figures it all out.  Or like now we someone that is blue printing engines for Class II Goodyear competition.  Or if you have the bucks to buy a half dozen and use the best one.  But, in reality it is not always the fastest planes that wins.  It takes practice and more  practice, besides reliable equipment.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
John,

Can you post some pics of your Shoestring? Are you runnign the stock landing gear or did you build some racing gear?

I made all the parts off of a set of SIG plans as my neighbor was building one. Mine is an exact copy of the plans with the exception of my changing the motor mounts to fit the wider BB Fox .15  It appears the Original plans and kit are set up for the angle plug Fox. (makes sense)
My neighbors plane is actually a little smaller than the plans in many areas.

The plan really doesnt show kicking the tail at all. Should this be done to keep the line tension or is everyone just putting angle only on the engine when mounting it instead.

What should these planes weigh when completed?  So far I am pretty happy with the way mine is turning out as I learned a little from my buddys plane while he has been assembling it and it helped me plan ahead during the build up.

The Control line club in Denver here says that they run this class every other year. (which will be 2010) When we (my flying buddy Rich and I) were interested in racing they suggested this as an easy class to get started in. (watching the FoxBurg event during this discussion)

I am more than looking forward to the event and want to make sure I have a stable machine for my first venture into winged racing.

Mark

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Mark,
As soon as I get back from Brazil I will get some shots.  Basically it looks exactly like the one on the box except that I went for a white canopy instead of silver.  There is no rudder kick on this one as I was trying to get the max speed out of it.  The landing gear is in the stock place as well.
John

EDIT:  Here they are
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:19:56 PM by John Paris »
John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »
I attached the pictures to the previous post.  The system did not show it as an update, at least on my end.
John
John Paris

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
Qu
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
Okey Doke,

First off.     Good looking plane.

As I am new..I have questions:

1) Do builders ever kick the rudder on racing planes?
2) Same question for the motor?
3) Off Topic.. They always call the color on the plane Chartruese.  Sorry.. but that is Green.. These planes are always Yellow. Photos I have found.. Are Yellow. I guess I dont need an answer on this.

Forget 3.. lets talk 1 and 2.

Nice Pics. Mark
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:53:31 AM by Mark Misegadis »

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
That is yellow chartruse. It's not the green chartuse, but the yellow color. It's a mostly yellow color.

The color was chosen by the designer's wife. Women choose colors based on their subtle, classy abilities of design. Men would've painted the airplane red with black trim and then it'd looked like Bill's Stunter.

The airplane was never yellow, but yellow chartruse; then apple green in the 60's, then the light blue and orange Gulf scheme 60's-70's, then the '77 white with balloons and clowns as it sits in the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here