News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shoestring for Scott...  (Read 1811 times)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Shoestring for Scott...
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:18:11 PM »
 Scott Jenkins spotted this Shoestring model in the background of one of my other posts and asked if I could provide some more info, so here goes...

I don't know if this model was intended to be an actual race model, or just a semi-scale Shoestring. I picked it up, as is, from a guy in St. Paul, MN a couple years ago who wanted to sell it. He had had it given to him, as is, from someone else. The guy said make him an offer, so I did, (a ridiculously low one I thought), and I brought it home. It's a REALLY cool model, but I have no idea what kit it may have been. It's got a 28" wingspan, and whoever built it back in the day did an excellent job, but never finished it. This is obvious because the fillets around the wing are not sanded, and it clearly has never seen fuel. The engine is a brand-spanking new Torpedo .19, never run! As you can see, it's got metal wheel pants, L/G, and cowling. The L/G however is made of to light of a material, because as it is there is no way you could ever land this thing without bending it.
 My plan is to most likely just re-finish and paint it, and then just have it as a display model at some point...yeah, just what I need, another project! ;D ;D ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Shoestring for Scott...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:13:53 PM »
That model is a Berkeley Shoestring that was kitted for use in Team Race or Scale.  It is pretty near exact scale.

A great idea is to finish it as you describe and use a period Veco or Froom spinner that fits the nose ring, and a Tornado or Top Flite prop.

The kit has very detailed and accurate decals and instructions on the plans on how to mix the dope so as to come up with the scale chartreuse color. The red trim with the kit decals ought to make a beautiful replica of the 1949 Ast Bros. racer.

Chris...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:56:08 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
Yep,  A really nice looking build of that Berkeley Shoestring!

It seems that Chris, and I, have a soft spot for those old Berkeley kits! Right, Chris?? !!  j1

That LG will fool ya, I flew some of the old Berkeley kits way back when, and they did ok.  Heavy from the kit wood but looked real nice!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 10:31:52 AM »
Hi Bill,
Yes, I do like those old kits.

I was too young to buy them when they were current, and my Dad always said they were too small so he didn't buy them for me. Now I just have to have them.

I am copying my originals and reselling them, sadly. Need dough.

Isn't there a trick to harden aluminum by blowing carbon from a gas torch over the aluminum and then heating the torch up and just touching the aluminum until the carbon burns off? I think this hardens the alloy.

Are the wheelpants soldered together, Warbird? Cool ship.

Chris...

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »
 You guys aren't the only ones who love that era. When I got the offer to come check this thing out and see if I would want it, I didn't even know what kit it was, but it was coming home with me once I saw it!
 I REALLY like all those old Berkeley kit designs, I wish someone would re-issue them with todays kit manufacturing technology. I really want a B-25! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
You guys aren't the only ones who love that era. When I got the offer to come check this thing out and see if I would want it, I didn't even know what kit it was, but it was coming home with me once I saw it!
 I REALLY like all those old Berkeley kit designs, I wish someone would re-issue them with todays kit manufacturing technology. I really want a B-25! ;D

The B-25 would be nice!

My "Holy Grail" of the Berkeley line is the B-17.  j1

A guy pulled up to our flying site 35 years ago with a mint one in his trunk.  He refused to sell it!

Chris, and I, accidently were biddingon a Little Stinker a while back on ebay.  I dropped out...... did you get it, Chris?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »
I think it was too high for me.
I went for a couple paired together and incomplete, ended up with enough wood to copy the whole kit, and a doubles of a lot of things. No Little Stinker decals though, missing in both kits.
Chris...

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:20:16 AM »
the trick with aluminum and a torch is for anneling (soften)aluminum and is a method used when hand hamering race car bodies when it work hardens.works good with lotsa pratice.
David
David Roland

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »
Gotcha,
Thanks David.
Chris...

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 10:37:48 PM »
Gotcha,
Thanks David.
Chris...
[/
quote]

You want to look in a book on alloy, varies with the type.
you want to harden it, not soften it.   Some one said soap rubbed on it, hot, going brown , was the right tempreture,for one type. then dipped in water or oil to harden.

the old Rover 90 - 75 Car (P-4 ) manual had a section on welding alloy for panel repairs .                  M.S.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »
I think it was too high for me.
I went for a couple paired together and incomplete, ended up with enough wood to copy the whole kit, and a doubles of a lot of things. No Little Stinker decals though, missing in both kits.
Chris...

Chris:
Received the Stinker parts this minute, from the Mail Lady (Femail Man?) Jewel-like, and sooo befitting this Valentine's Day! IOU. Big time.
Mike

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
Hi Mike,
Just saw this post. I have returned from training so I can now look at something other than manuals and profiles.
Glad you got the stuff, now we need to make the decals.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here