News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale GoodYear Racing  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Scale GoodYear Racing
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:51:07 PM »
Before the "move" I saw mention of the Scale GoodYear Racing class.  Is this still going on, and what are the rules?

Thanks!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
Re: Scale GoodYear Racing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
Yes Goodyear is still alive rules can be found on the AMA website. Lately the hot engine is either a NovaRossi or a Nelson. There are also some variations to goodyear on the club level using one ounce tanks and a scar event called formula unlimited using 40 size motors and 300 sq. in wings.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »
Scott
Do you happen to know about what size props  the Goodyears are running and about the RPM  range the engines are turning.
Willis

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 06:55:08 AM »
Hi Willis,
Rpm is in the 30k plus range with a 5 to 6" x 4 to 5.5 pitch prop alot depends on the type and weight of the model. Aircraft weight are approaching the same standards as F2C with models in the 300 to 400 gm. (10.5 to 14oz.) range ready to race. They tend to use alot of the same building techniques as F2C all 4 lb. wood and liberal use of fiberglass and carbon cloth throughout. A wing press is a must, vaccuum bagging of both the wing and the fuselage is pretty much standard. Although you can get away with just using a wing press with different techniques to achieve the same results. My F2C and F2CN wings typically come out right at 100 gm. with a see your face in finish that requires no extra sanding or rework except for the wing edges. The engine of choice on the west coast seems to be a Gillot prepped NovaRossi east coast a Nelson is the motor of choice.

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 05:57:52 PM »
is the rossi .15 same as we ran in 70s?
type R normal rear intake& exaust?

David
David Roland

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:16:49 PM »
In a word, No the Rossi's of today come in either a 5 or 8 port configuration and the cases are considerably bigger than the Mk 1 and 2. An old Mk 1 was timed out at about 158 deg. exhaust and 132 to 135 transfers. In order for a old style Rossi to be competitive today the plane would have to be extremely light and nothing less than one flip pits. I am currently setting up an old Rossi Mk1 for a F2A trainer just to give the engine a second life and teach me how to fly with the plylon I have the right piston and liner, a few props, and 2 pipes to work with. When I finish the plane I will post pictures.

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:16:55 PM »
Scott,

How about some pics of current racing activity to liven things up here? ;D Maybe you could pull those AMA rules/regs mentioned in the other post over here to provide some info?
 C'mon racers, show your stuff! ;D ;D ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 03:02:03 AM »
Hi WWWarbird

Here are some pics of my Ohm Special Goodyear, taken just after it's 2003 Nats win.

The shutoff and bellcrank are Gillott hardware, the engine is a Tim Gillott modified Rossi Mk2. Prop was a carbon 5.75x5. Weight was 21.5 oz. In air rpm is typically about 31.5-32k.
Airspeeds are about 120-122 mph.

Most all of the Goodyear engines Tim has built have been Rossi Mk2 and Mk3's. He built one RB 15 for a fellow in the CA  bay area to use in .15 Rat. The RB is similar to the Nova Rossi series. To the best of my knowledge, Tim has only built one engine of this type. He is not a fan of the Nova Rossi series, mainly due to the excess size and weight compared to the Rossi mk 2 and 3 engines.

Hope this helps some.

Regards, Les Akre

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »
I was actually in error in my original post by referring to "Scale Goodyear" racing.  I have found outr that is was Golden Age Racing where Actual Scale planes of Gee Bees, Wedell Williams, Pete, and such are used with .40 size engines.  Full Fuselage and scale markings.

I found one of my OLD American Modeler magazines the other day that had three drawings of .15 size Goodyear profiles for a 'proposed event'.  It was suggested as a sort of "fun" entry level racing event using stock plain bearing .15s of the day such as the Fox 15X.  I see that "the Event" has really changed!  **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:41 PM »
Is that the issue that had the Gee Bee, Laird Special and I can't remember the other one.  The Flying Eagles of KCK ran that event for several years as an end of season series of races.  I had a GeeBee with Medallion 15.  No match for the Laird Special and TeeDee 15.  I think we averaged about 10 entries for a club event.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 08:31:58 PM »
John,

"American Modeler", July 1960: Gee Bee R-1, Folkerts SK-3, Turner Pesco Special, and Hall Bulldog.

"American Modeler", July 1961: Cosmic Wind, Bonzo, and Denight Special. Note: Denight plans were in a later issue due to space limitations.

"American Modeler", Jan/Feb 1963: Swee Pea II, Leighnor Special, and Long Midget.

These planes got it all started.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »
John,

"American Modeler", July 1960: Gee Bee R-1, Folkerts SK-3, Turner Pesco Special, and Hall Bulldog.

"American Modeler", July 1961: Cosmic Wind, Bonzo, and Denight Special. Note: Denight plans were in a later issue due to space limitations.

"American Modeler", Jan/Feb 1963: Swee Pea II, Leighnor Special, and Long Midget.

These planes got it all started.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH

Hi Bob,

Are any of those plans available anywhere???  The Cosmic Wind "Little Toni" and the Denight Special are two of my favorites! 

I have the magazine with the CW and Bonzo (shows the slight changes to make the Buster, too, I think)
but never have seen the plans.

Thanks!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »
Bill,

I did a quick search on the AMA Plans Service. It looks like some of them may be available from the Pond Collection, now part of the museum archive.

I do have original copies of the following:

Folkerts SK-3
Turner Pesco Special
Cosmic Wind
Swee Pea II

The thing is I'm not in the plans business. The large format copier at Kinko's (at least the one I'm familiar with) does not copy 100%. It factors both the X axis and Y axis, significantly, by different values. I had better luck making bluelines when I had access to the equipment.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »

If you photocopie the magazine reduced plan onto A3 paper in a photocopier set on 'darkish',

Then put the pieces on a window in the light to sellotape together accurately,

you can trace it off  on lunchpaper to build from.

You just need a two foot straight edge to make sure it hasnt all walked of somewhere.

Does Someone have a copy of the Shoestring & Sweet-Pea artical from A.A.M, 1967 or 68

they could let me have a copie off.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
I do have original copies of the following:

Folkerts SK-3
Turner Pesco Special
Cosmic Wind
Swee Pea II

**Gosh, these would be the set for the Cosmic Wind plan so much needed! If anyone has this one, please share. Even if smaller, I am willing to enlarge them.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here