News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Results from old contests.  (Read 1268 times)

Offline bruce malm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Results from old contests.
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »
Anyone know if the results are around for the 1964 & 65  Northwest Championships at Sandpoint Naval Air Station.

Mike Potter and I flew Sr. Rat and came in 1st and 2nd.
We had 2 airplanes  I had designed built on Harter's pans and only one engine a reworked Fox 36x BB. Mike flew and I pitted. I believe the closest behind us in all categories was over two minutes for 1st and 1 min for second. We had a smaller tank in one and needed 1 extra pit stop. Note:I just switched the engine from one plane to the other.  Please note: Mike had never flown against 3 other guys at once and we lost 10 laps  for staying too high as he wasn't quite accustomed to passing everbody so fast and getting back down.

I just don't remember the times we ran and was curious how they would compare to todays speeds.
I do have a new Rodent  kit  an 36xBB that I plan to put together with a top built as close to as I can remember of the one I used.

Of course if I ever really fly it, it will be really short tanked so I don't fall on my keester.

Bruce

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Re: Results from old contests.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
Hey Bruce you weren't supposed to tell anyone about the engine switching, I don't think that is legal! You want them to take our trophys away!      Mike
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:20:14 AM »
I don't beleive there is anything in the rules about using an engine in two different airplanes.  If so my son and I would be in trouble as at one mouse race his engine locked up.  I already had my heat in, so my engine went on his plane.  Just can't fly the same airplane/engine combo.  Besides in all forms of racing I have seen engine changes between heats at contests.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 12:08:42 PM »
I believe Mike and I asked that question and got the same answers. It was the 1965 Northwest regional. Besides that I don't think anybody thought we would be competitive. Most of them had more money, 2 pit men and the Fox Golden 40 Rat motor. I remember a few of the guys coming by and snickering when Mike and I were testing before the races. We were checking the hot start. I carried a can of homemade 25% nitro, one 50% nitro, and a little amyl acetate and acetone. We didn't even have the fancy glove for the glow plug but with the fuel mixture I ended up with we discovered I didn't need it. Just land, fuel and hit that old 8x8 tornado as hard as I could and it would
scream to life. It was really a fun day for Mike and I.

Bruce      #^ #^

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:41 PM »
Current AMA racing rules say that "...engine changing for any reason is permissible, except during a race...."
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
Well then I guess we are safe. #^ The trophy reposessers won't be looking for us.   Mike
mike potter

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
They would have to find me first. Hope to get up to see you and Smotzie this year.
Bruce

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
My brother and I were using the same Combat engine at one contest, since my old Blackhead Fox had blown up the week before.  Then we blew the .40 we had been using on both our Rats.  So we used the Combat engine on the Rats.  2 sets of combat matches; 2 sets of Rat heats/finals. One engine.  IIRC it was a Supertiger .35 combat engine, but may have been a Fox 36X, we were using both in Combat in that era.  Toward the end of the day, it wouldn't hot start so good.  I think we wore it completely out in one day.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here