News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repeal of F2C Wrist Strap rule  (Read 1361 times)

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Repeal of F2C Wrist Strap rule
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
Hello;

As most of you know, the Plenary passed a rule back in March that mandates wrist straps for F2C. This rule has been discussed here and many other places since that time. The supporting arguments have been made, and the reasons why this is a bad rule have been identified.

The rule was passed as a "safety rule" in a year when there was no F2 Technical Subcommittee meeting held. As a "safety rule" it has an effective date of 1/1/2010.

This rule will be addressed at the Bureau meeting this fall with the desire to have the Bureau delay implementation until the entire F2 Technical Subcommittee can discuss it at the March Plenary. The Bureau is comprised of the president and various other elected officials, plus the chairmen of the various technical subcommittees. It is obvious that getting the Bureau to address this problem and take action will rest highly on the support or lack of support by the F2 Technical Subcommittee Chairman, Bengt-Olof Samuelsson.

I am asking you to do two things.

First, please write to Bengt-Olof at

bengt-olof.samuelsson@lottingelund.se

and ask him to please support delaying implementation of this rule when it is discussed at the Bureau meeting this fall. Perhaps if B-O hears directly from folks all over the world he will reconsider his previous support for this dangerous rule. I have already done so and will send a copy of my e-mail to anyone who asks to see it.

Second, please visit this site:

http://www.wrlee.com/WristStrapPetition/

I have prepared an electronic petition that everyone who wants to see this rule overturned for F2C should sign. Rule-change proposals to that effect will be submitted for consideration at the 2010 Plenary.

Your support in this effort is appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Repeal of F2C Wrist Strap rule
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
I race just enough to realize the downside of such a rule. In the heat of battle, a faster plane passes underneath a slower one, a big mistake, and it occassionally happens. You're the faster plane, who ya' gonna' call? Your handle is above, the lines are below, your ship is winding everyone into a cocoon- so you hit the shut-off. But it fails to operate, or you're flying Goldberg or Foxberg or some event that doesn't specify shut-offs. Strapped with a lanyard, (get it? "strapped with a lanyard"? hoo boy!) you are basically helpless as the line tangle commences, with a possible cut-away. But without being encumbered with a lanyard, you quickly reach around the other pilot, take control of the airplane with your non-flying hand, avoid the tangle possibility altogether, and face the music for  passing underneath, no one hurt, no planes lost.

This proposal must have come from a non-flyer, or am I missing something?

E-mail sent.

dg

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:54 AM »
Hi, Dale;

Yes, you're missing something.  ;D

The proposal was made by the French Aero Club and was supported by at least one of their World-class F2C teams. It boggles my mind that that is so! But then you hear the rationale:

"Pilots become too aggressive when they know they can switch hands to get out of it!"

If the problem is overly-aggressive pilots, there are a dozen ways that the F2C Judges can control the situation, and this  rule is NOT one of them! It has introduced a significant safety hazard into F2C (and any CL Racing event which bases the rules off of the FAI F2C rules).

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:03:32 AM »
Changing hands proved to be an effective way to avoid and clear line tangles and we used it all the time in COMBAT until wrist straps were mandated in ALL events.  Due to this rule, countless lines and airplanes have been destroyed, and matches have been ended prematurely, depriving us of the fun of flying out the match.

The logic in COMBAT and RACING is identical with the only exception of the ability to minimize damage in racing by triggering the (mandatory) shutoff.

The safety rules MUST be consistant across ALL events.  Flyaways shutoffs and wrist straps in ALL EVENTS or NONE!
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »
Changing hands proved to be an effective way to avoid and clear line tangles and we used it all the time in COMBAT until wrist straps were mandated in ALL events.  Due to this rule, countless lines and airplanes have been destroyed, and matches have been ended prematurely, depriving us of the fun of flying out the match.

The logic in COMBAT and RACING is identical with the only exception of the ability to minimize damage in racing by triggering the (mandatory) shutoff.

The safety rules MUST be consistant across ALL events.  Flyaways shutoffs and wrist straps in ALL EVENTS or NONE!

As usual: Nonsense.

Paul, one of these days you need to look at issues sensibly instead of always trying to "get back" at someone for some imagined problem.   n1
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »
Bill, you are America's voice in the FAI, with more FAI rules power than the whole rest of the USA combined.  I can't imagine why you would feel a need to ask for support - just exercise your vast power.

It's not just me - the entire world of F2D blames the USA and specifically YOU, for the shutoff rule.  If F2C gets an unwanted new rule, so it goes.  It's a lot easier to just install one little wrist strap than retrofit a whole fleet of models wth a still unproven "safety" gizmo.

Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
Bill, you are America's voice in the FAI, with more FAI rules power than the whole rest of the USA combined.  I can't imagine why you would feel a need to ask for support - just exercise your vast power.

It's not just me - the entire world of F2D blames the USA and specifically YOU, for the shutoff rule.  If F2C gets an unwanted new rule, so it goes.  It's a lot easier to just install one little wrist strap than retrofit a whole fleet of models wth a still unproven "safety" gizmo.

To repeat an earlier post: Nonsense.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
I don't normally enter racing events but  did last weekend (Fox Race).  The pilot of the fastest plane stumbled and momentarily lost control of his plane.  It dived under mine and started passing it while the pilot was behind me. He recovered his balance, realized what was happening and quickly reached around my left side with his left hand and transferred the handle from his right hand to his left thus averting a sure crash.

His quick thinking, flying skill, and NO WRIST STRAP saved both planes and made for some exciting racing action.  After this happened I thought of this post and now I realize why many racers are concerned about the rule. FWIW: the quick thinking pilot's plane went on to win the event but mine came in second, I will race again! 8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:27:58 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
Pete,

You are right, sir.  That works well in Racing.  It used to work well in Combat, too, until the practice was banned in the interest of SAFETY.  Now we just tangle the lines and wreck airplanes. 

But the powers that be decided we couldn't be trusted to switich hands without letting go of the handle now and again and maybe hurt something. 

So, in the name of SAFETY, we use wrist straps in ALL events, except Racing, at this time.
Paul Smith

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:40 PM »
Due to a massive brain-fade, I was unable to fly the racing event Pete alludes to above, however, I was afforded a great view of a great race. All Fox 35s, Slow Rat type ships, one experienced crew and two new rather new at it. But, they all finished their 100 lap finals and all flew very well, a little rusty at the start, very good flying/pitting at the finish. A great show in ABQ, dale g

ps- the entry of Tom Hamblett WILL be resored to airworthiness, it's the least I can do!   :)  dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here