News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:33:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: red skin  (Read 1346 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
red skin
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
any body ever heard of a class b team racer called the (red skin)  i think veco made it.

roger ???

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: red skin
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Good classic design.  Not competitive with modern designs.  There was one flown in BTR at Cabin Fever last weekend.

Someone, I don't remember who, has partial kits and plans for it.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »
any pictures?

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:03:19 AM »
There used to be a nice yellow one hanging in Royal Six Hobby Shop in Detroit.
Paul Smith

Offline raglafart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:41:31 AM »
Action Hobbies/Laser Works do a laser cut kit for them, they were excellent value and I think someone else does a kit with tank wire parts and more.
Hope they are competitive in Vintage B.
Cheers John
John Goodwin

AUS 21261

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
  Bill Schmidt has a wonderful set of plans that you can build the Redskin from. If interested,  E-Mail me and I will give you his address and phone #  as he does not have a computer.

Bigiron    <mdenny4@cox.net>
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
I have a Redskin on the hook that I haven't figured out a shut off set up yet.  Also the tank.  I was going to put the new Fox .25 in it.  Too many other things going on.  But, now I think of it.  The "Dude" kit I picked up from Dankar has a small shut off that looks doable.  Too bad we lost Ken Smith as he was trying to get B-Team Race going with a speed limit so it would be easier for pilots to get into racing.  No avail as the racing guys do not want speed limits.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »
In theory, the .29 engine coupled with a 1 ounce tank was supposed to effectively limit speed by crippling "gas hog" engines and forcing a compromise.

Today, Clown racers with .15's and 1 ounce tanks are getting about 42 laps on 52' lines.   I guess a .29 on 60' lines must have been in the 25 lap range at best.  It better have quick starts 'cause there will be a lot of 'em.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
Paul,
Perhaps the 1 oz. tank hasn't worked as a universal speed limiter, but it does reduce the amount of time the pilots have to dance during fast 3-up racing. As you pointed out, someone will end up spending a good deal of time in the pit with a fuel bottle....and with fully cowled, inverted engines the flippity-flippity period can be unpredictable. In short races, more fuel stops actually makes things harder, since it is more likely that two guys will come down at about the same time. In longer races, things get more spread out and it gets easier. The features that the pilot really is after in modern B-TR is a light (LIGHT!) plane and one that grooves well but can still maneuver when required. These features help avoid the high flying when the differential speeds are large. Oh, and the one feature we would like to do without? The propensity to roll in on takeoff and wind up the lines or chase the guys in the center! Extremely non-optimal....

Responding to other replies, I wouldn't sell the Redskin design short. If I remember correctly, last year one placed at Cabin Fever. You might want to make the wing more rugged, but I bet one with a competitive engine and the innerds set up right wouldn't have anything to apologize for. Remember, in B-TR anything can happen, and in my experience does, and regularly. If you don't blow up, if you don't burn up, and if you don't catch on fire; if your don't wrap your lines around the prop shaft; if you don't leave your landing gear laying on the asphalt while landing; if you don't break a prop in the pit; if you don't lose a plug (or three); if you don't break the shutoff; if you don't lose the P/L; if....nothing bad happens to you, you are definitely still in it!

Dave

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
Paul,

"I guess a .29 on 60' lines must have been in the 25 lap range at best".

A decent BTR today will go at least 35 laps on the one ounce tank with no "funny fuel".  Add the funny fuel and the magic 47 laps/tank is feasible.  Why 47? That eliminates one pit stop in the 140 lap race.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
Good classic design.  Not competitive with modern designs.  There was one flown in BTR at Cabin Fever last weekend.

Someone, I don't remember who, has partial kits and plans for it.

Kit = Dave Shrum . Oregon . $ 65 I think .

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
I have a very pretty Larry Richards kit of that model.
I should build it. In NCLRA rules do you need a shut off and some one design engine? I have forgotten.
Chris... 

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 02:27:53 AM »
I have a very pretty Larry Richards kit of that model.
I should build it. In NCLRA rules do you need a shut off and some one design engine? I have forgotten.
Chris... 

Short answer: yes and no.

Long answer: see the rules at http://www.NCLRA.org/

Bill Lee

Edited to add the "yes". Thanks. Don. CRS most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:21:10 AM by BillLee »
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
NCLRA BTR rules

#3 Engine.  Any single bypass up to .29 cu. in., or any engine up to .28 cu. in....
#6 "Shutoffs are mandatory".

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
Thanks guys.
Chris...