News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plastic Racing Bellcrank  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Plastic Racing Bellcrank
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
I've been using a 2" or 3" Fox bellcrank for most things but I just took one of my slow rat wings apart and the hole for the push rod was punched out pretty big. Was thinking of going to a 3" nylon Brodak bellcrank but not sure if it can take the strain. What do you use?

MM

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Plastic Racing Bellcrank
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »
In the .36 slow rat days, Mike Greb had a couple of Fox bellcrank failures. After that, he started making his own bellcranks out of .060- .080 aluminum. If you are concerned about pushrod hole wear, bush it with a brass eyelet. I might use a nylon bellcrank on an SSR, but not an AMA slow rat. In fact, since I am using buttons on my SSR bellcranks, I wouldn't use nylon there either!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
So your flying wires go through the lead out guide? What do you use for a lead out guide? I used flattened out brass tubing once. Flared the end polished it nice and smooth. Didn't take long the lines wore a groove in the brass that finally cut the down line. Never again, I think internal connections should be outlawed.

MM

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
For my internal connections I make a plastic plate tapped 2-56 for each line then thread 1/2' - 3/4" long pieces of small wire springs into the tapped holes.  Once installed the installation on that set of lines is permanent.  I did try running both lines through one piece of spring but had too much friction between the lines.
I use a 2-56 allen head screw to secure the plate to a slotted rib inside the wing.  The screw can be reached through the slot in the tip rib for fore-aft adjustment.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
Lately I have been making the line exit guide out of maple engine mount material.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
Which way does the grain go?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
chordwise

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
So the lines are sawing into the end grain?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Not yet they're not. (yes, the pictures are two different wings)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
Solld lines should not cut into any material.   At least that is my experience.   Now cable will be sort of like a saw blade, but I've never had one cut thru a lead out guide.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
Solld lines should not cut into any material.   At least that is my experience.   Now cable will be sort of like a saw blade, but I've never had one cut thru a lead out guide.

Not true, Doc. I can show you an aluminum wing tip guide where solids pass through and where they have eaten a slot just big enough to hang up the lines.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Also if you read post #3 you'll see me experience with brass tubing. If they cut through brass and aluminum how do they not cut through wood?

Has anyone done back to back tests to see what kind of gain you get for the trouble?

MM

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
Why not try this method, it's popular in Australia.

The pic shows the general idea.

You wind solid 012" or 015" steel c/l line or similar into a tight coil on a piece of greased 3/32" Music wire or similar. Take it off and epoxy up the outside slightly, just enough to hold it together.

Drill out the wing tip to the OD of the above, The coil will expand slightly towards 1/8" or 9/32". A piece of engine bearer as shown above would work great to enable it to be fitted on "stunter" racer type wing tips

Insert the line guide but only epoxy it in at the very outside of the hole. This is so it can be replaced easily.

The cable ends can be soldered to a small piece of bent wire for the actual connection to the lines contained within a short length of fuel tubing, much like the ones on Russian F2D RTF Combat Models.

These can then be also replaced if necessary. The coil/cable pair rarely wear.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:46:27 AM by Clarence the Circlip »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
We're not allowed to solder our wires to the lead outs here in USA.

The new Fox 3" I just took out of a wing seems to be a much softer alloy than the earlier fox bellcranks. That's a pretty crappy thing to do just make the same part only weaker especially a control system part. Still over priced. >:(

MM

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
We're not allowed to solder our wires to the lead outs here in USA.

MM

I'm not suggesting that you should. What I'm suggesting is the system shown in the picture below. The cable is (low temperature) Silver soldered to a piece of Piano wire that's been tightly bound with fine soft wire. It's very strong and virtually indestructible. The method is almost universally used on F2D combat models.

Why not use blank Printed Circuit Board material for bellcranks? Also indestructible whether you etch off the copper or not.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
That presents as much drag as a proper clip. We want to put our clips inside the wing but the flying wires get damage where they go through the lead out guide in the wing tip.

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »
 Not when the line's connected and the tubing is stretched over the whole connection.

OK I won't trouble you with any more ideas.  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here