News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:48:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new SSR nearing completion  (Read 3507 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
new SSR nearing completion
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »
Here's a look at my new SSR. It's the same design Mike Greb and I flew in the .36 slow rat days, with the wing moved back an inch for balance. The nose doubler is 2mm carbon plate. Probably overkill for this event, but it made my AMA slow rat at least a half second faster by stiffening up the front end. At the very least, it will keep the blind nuts from crushing the wood!

Dallas rules now allow shutoffs to be fitted in the interest of safety, but prohibit their use during a race. Hopefully, this will catch on in other places as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:14:53 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
Re: new SSR nearing completion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »
Hey Bill

Lookin' good! I see you've decided to go with the "Boredoak" .25 as my pilot calls it, for the motivator. Right now, the two props that appear to work the best on that engine are the 8x5 APC sport, and the 7x6 Taipan. Opening the venturi to at least .312" really wakes these things up.
Shutoffs are always a good idea, certainly makes getting the needle setting less agonizing for the pilot.

Let us know how the test flights go...

Cheers, Les

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
It's ready to test fly whenever the weather will allow.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
Verrrry Nice

I like how you've done the filler/overflow system. Might have to give that a try!

Les

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
We've been using that design for over 20 years for Fox/Goldberg race and Sportsman Goodyear. It works great. I have found that the pickup should be about 5/16" outboard of the spraybar for the best ground vs air needle settings. Other than that, nothing is too critical as long as it fits the airplane, holds the right amount, and is wider at the front to feed properly.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
We flew the new SSR yesterday. It flew well, and went fast. I can't say how fast until after the contest next week, because you never know who's spying! Fully tuned, we could get over 50 laps, so I decided to make a slightly smaller tank just in case. While I'm building it, I took a few pix of how it goes together. The tank body is made of only two pieces. Usually I make a wooden block to form the tank around; this time I was lazy and didn't. The tank is 1 1/4" tall, so I bent the two pieces around a 1 1/4" wide aluminum ruler. The tank is 1 5/8" long, 1 1/8" wide at the front, and 5/8" wide at the back. The bigger tank is 7/8" wide at the back, and all other dimensions are the same as the new tank. A rectangular plate of the same tinplate material is soldered to the inboard side of the tank for mounting. All the tubes stop just inside the tank where they are installed. Since the fill and vent are at the outboard edge of the tank, it is uniflow. It is important that the ends of the fill and vent tubes are above and inboard of the fuel tank to prevent siphoning. The tank can be built bigger or smaller to suit different events. Just as a reminder, one fluid ounce is equal to 1.8 cubic inches, so that's what you need where one ounce is specified.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:14:51 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
Hi Bill

How did you do with the SSR on your first race?

Les

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I wimped out and didn't fly it. It was simply too windy and I didn't want to risk it. That being said, I did fly two other peoples' airplanes without incident, but every takeoff and landing was an opportunity for mishap. For the record, it's running 18.5 to 18.7 with an APC 8x6 and a .320 venturi. We're going to open the venturi a bit more and see how it goes.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
Here's an idea that I predict will become the "industry standard". By slightly modifying a successful tank design, this will give the pitman a repeatable means of achieving a "short tank" of fuel, thus eliminating the concern of having too big a tank and getting too many laps. If a short tank is desired, simply fill through the overflow instead of the fill tube, and you will get about half a tank of fuel, with the corresponding reduction in laps. As long as the pitman can do some quick mental calculations, the proper combination of full tanks and short tanks can be achieved to give the proper amount of pitstops during a race. No more overruns, no more measuring fuel into the tank, no more building smaller tanks. This will work in SSR, Fox race, etc... where getting too many laps can be a problem. I'm building new tanks!

Credit for this idea goes to Mike Greb. I stole his idea and adapted it to this tank design.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
I got a chance to race TWO new SSR's for the first time at the Dallas contest today. The black and red airplane above won with a 5:43, with decent, but not perfect pits. (Not a complaint or a shot at my pit man Mike Greb, I think he would agree with that assessment.) The even newer airplane, which I built for Mike's entry, came in second with a 6:02. Again, decent but not perfect pits, but we had no practice time with this airplane. First test flights were Friday afternoon. This airplane uses the "short tank" plumbing design described above, and we used it to good advantage in the race.

Perhaps more interesting about the blue and yellow airplane is the construction. It is built like a slow combat airplane. The foam wings have wooden spars, leading edges, trailing edges, and tips, but no sheeting. The wings are covered with silkspan, then covered with iron-on film. The fuselage and tail were sealed with thinned finish-cure epoxy, then painted with epoxy primer and epoxy paint. This type of construction goes together very quickly, and ended up a couple of ounces lighter than the red and black airplane.

For the gearheads, the Brodak has a .330 venturi, and the ThunderTiger has a .200 venturi. Both used the APC 8x6 sport prop. I don't have exact numbers from today, but I think the Brodak was running in the mid 18's, and the ThunderTiger was running in the mid 19's (airspeed, not RPM).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:57:16 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »
I like the blue and yellow one. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
Doc, send me a message when you're ready to start building one! ;D

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
Where do you get that carbon plate where it won't cost allot?

Thanks,
MM

"carbon plate" and "won't cost a lot" don't belong in the same sentence!   :)

Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
An 8"x 12" sheet of 2mm carbon fiber by Great Planes is $55 from Tower Hobbies. If you search the internet you can probably find it cheaper, but it will never be as cheap as plywood!

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
Where do you get that carbon plate where it won't cost allot?

Thanks,
MM
try http://www.cstsales.com/Carbon_Accent_Plates.html
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
For maximum stiffness a single thicker doubler on the inboard side is advantageous. It also provides a very firm, crush resistant surface for the blind nuts. Just don't expect to press them in as if the doubler is plywood. You have to drill all the holes for the "teeth" . I use carbon or aluminum pads under the engine lugs as well.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
Consider if the engine bearers were made of rubber. Now flex the engine side to side. The outboard side where the engine is bolted down will experience less deformation than the side opposite the engine. Right or wrong, that's how I have perceived it, so that's why I use a single thicker carbon doubler on the side away from the engine. I do not have any actual data to prove that one doubler is better than two, but I know that one carbon doubler is better than none!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
I am just finishing up a fun type aerobatic plane kit from a well known combat flyer and manufacturer.  No plywood on either side of the nose where the engine bearers are.   The balsa is laminated 1/8 balsa that is fairly hard by most standards with the hardwood engine peices full depth of the thickness of the fuse.   Fiberglas and epoxy both sides.   Will be using aluminum engine pads on outboard side.  Did think about a balsa doubler on the inboard side, but that will be the next one if this one doesn't work.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here