News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:18:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Pilot  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New Pilot
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »
To All,

My son is 12 soon to be 13 he was introduced to flying a while back and was so so about it. Last weekend I asked him to go with me on a flying session then ask him if he wanted to fly we tried to get his 1/2a running but to no avail it would not start, fuel pick up in a reed valve tank had come off. Anyway my good friend H. David Wallick got out a 15 size goodyear racing type trainer and ask Ron if he wanted to try it. With a little trepidation he said yes, he was afraid of crashing. We told him just not to worry and fly it anyway he wanted, fly hi, fly low, do whoop de do's, whatever. within five laps he was running it around the circle right on the deck then would go up and down at will. I could not hide the big smile on my face. I pulled out a F2CN and ask him to give it a go. Up and away he went at a crisp 24 sec. for 10 laps. The landing was a bit rough but no damage to either him or the plane. We then advise him that the plane had a shutoff on it and versed him on how to use it. Within 5 landings he was putting the plane right in my hand. Next week I am going to hand him an older F2C to start practicing with, that will do at best 19 sec for 10 laps. I will back off the compression to start him off but will crank it in within a few flights.  I suspect he will be flying 2 up before the month is done, dang he catches on fast. Now if I can just get him to grow another 12 inches by this time next year, the way he eats it should not be a problem.

GUYS NOW I HAVE A PILOT WITH GOOD   
                                              DEVELOPING SKILLS

"Whoopee"

I have waited for this for 12 years, some of you may have an idea of the elation I have right now.       

Scott Jenkins
AKA pit man and very happy Dad

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: New Pilot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
That is great, Scott!
Keep us informed on his progress.
Chris...

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
It does not get any better than this !

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »
Very nice circle, Scott.

The boy looks as if he's a pro already!
You certainly look the part, there. 8)

I expect that you guy's trying out for the Team, or competing at the Nats will produce a positive effect for the rest, promote those Jr's!

Hats off to you, Scott. Tell your boy he looks great out there.

Chris...

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Chris,

No Team trials this year he is not quite ready for that needs more 3 up practice which is very hard to get these days maybe the Nats in the coming year he should grow at least another 6 inches by then <=
Then by the next team trials he will be ready #^
We are giving a demo this weekend to a group of young marines to try and drum up some more juniors in our area. Pictures to follow.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here