Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Rat Racing and Team Racing

LA 25 Racing,, Ontario & Michigan

(1/3) > >>

Paul Smith:
The popular new event up here in the Northwest Territories is LA 25 Racing.

Pretty much like the old Fox Sport Race, except with an LA 25.  It has drawn much more interest that the Fox because competative engines are AVAILABLE to ALL.  This is in contrast to Fox Racing, where a small number of experts have been able to get descent performance without getting busted.

Maybe some day 'tricked up" LA's will emerge, but it hasn't happened yet.

The original plan was "ARF Streaks only", but the current thinking is that airframes don't mean much so just use any sport plane, fox racer, or slow combat design.

Scott Jenkins:
I bet it won't take them long to find the right purpose built airplane for this event.
I see a foxbat about to emerge with a LA 25 in it.

Scott

Paul Smith:
Maybe so, but whatever shakes out, I'm sure I can build it with bench stock and with no  new money.

I could not bring myself to spend $76 for an ARF Streak (the original proposal).   I consider that product flimsey and over-priced.  Others are welcome to it.  If it comes to this, I'll build my own AFR Streak.

Les Akre:
Some good sport race designs for the LA25's are the Artesian and Super Fly. The Mongoose is also a good design, but can be made better by reducing the wing thickness to the allowed 1". The Artesian was designed and kitted by the late Dick Peterson from the Seattle area. I currently campaign two Artesisan's and they are great racing airplanes.

There is one other design that makes a good sport race airplane and that is the Vulture, which I think is actually a profile carrier design.

I'm in agreement with you on the ARF Flightstreak. One of our club members bought one to use in our sport race event, and quickly found out how flimsey they really are. The fuselage is Built up, not solid. He found the fuselage area around the motor mounts crushed very easily. Also, the thick blunt forward high point airfoil of the "streak" is good for stunt, but the purpose built 1" thick airfoils with thinner leading edge and highpoint further back are better for racing.

Les

Paul Smith:
One further note:

The purists in Toronto had their races on the main paved circle, with limitied success.

Other races in Detroit and Dresden were flown on the grass Combat venue.  Much better success !!!  Beginners (to racing) were more willing to enter and experts weren't afraid to fly with them.

My old Fox racer got mid-aired by an AFR Streak.  It cost me almost a minute to get the flipper glued back on.  The ARF Streak was disintegrated.   If this happend on concrete, two LA 25's would be added to the body count.

Furthermore, the LA 25 is also good for Speed Limit Combat and Old Time Stunt, so even if the event doesn't fly, the engine will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version