News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B 40 RV racing engine  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K&B 40 RV racing engine
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
Hello All,
I am looking to revive a sick K&B 40 RV racing engine, which crashed at 120mph into tarmac. The shaft is bent and the rear housing broken, so if anyone has any bits lying in the box, let me know! I should think these two items  are the most vulnerable, so maybe a clapped out complete engine?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: K&B 40 RV racing engine
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
have u found your K&B 40 parts yet
rad racer

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Yes, they're on their way!  ;D

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »
Should be allot of parts left for these engines since they outlawed them in racing circles over here.

The story as I heard it was when they were making the Q rat rules for the nats they heard Byron Bednar had a SuperTiger G40 rear valve that turned in the low 15's so they outlawed rear valve engines. What they didn't realize is that engine was on a pressure system with unrestricted venturi and was slightly slower than my K&B 4011 front valve that turned in the mid 14's on pressure. So without any real knowledge or testing they used exclusionary tactics and drove another nail in CL racings coffin.

MM

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Unless that happened in the late 70's or early 80's when Quickie Rat was being developed, that's simply an incorrect assessment.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
You're right, Bill. Complete and utter BS.

As you know, we developed the rules for TQR strictly here on Texas as a local event. We flew it for several years, went through several iterations of rules until we settled on the current set on about 1980.

Later on, like several YEARS later, we heard of the NJ flavor that allowed ANYTHING to be used. And we discussed it and decided that if the NJ guys wanted to fly the event that way, then they were free to do so, but just don't call it "Quickie Rat" since it wasn't. As I recall, that discussion was during the time that TQR became an NCLRA event. (When was that? mid-to-late 90's?)

But the engine rules we have today is a MAJOR reason the event is the best and longest-lived racing event we fly in the U.S.

If there is writing on the wall for CL Racing, the pencil is being held by those who won't compete, won't contribute, but WILL throw stones at those who do.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here