News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hot starting a fox  (Read 1081 times)

david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
hot starting a fox
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »
Does any body know if there is anything that I can do to a fox 35 to make it hot start.  I had one that would start on the second flip every time but it broke a rod and destroyed the inside of the motor. I have another that runs great but doesnt hot start.  Any suggestions? Thanks
David

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: hot starting a fox
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
On my FOX racer I had the tank overflow directed at the head to provide some cooling.  Seemed to work, and never had a fire.  The best starting FOX I had a fairly new P/L assy and lasted for one day's racing.

BTW, the best way I found to overcome the FOX starting problem was to go to SSR and use a modern 25.  Less vibration also!   LL~
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
In my limited racing experience, I have had few problems restarting my Fox. biggest key I found, use the RIGHT prop, and dont try for a lean "racing" style run. Run the engine where it belongs rpm and needle setting and it will start pretty good. Oh, carefull breakin is pretty important too.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
About 50 years ago clubmate Dave Balch had a Fox 35 in a Flite Streak. In combat, if you got to it quickly after a "landing" it would restart without connecting a battery.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »
Hi David

Re: Hot starting a Fox 35 Stunt. Here are some things to pay attention to;

1. The P/L fit. New, they are quite tight and require a fair bit of running to loosen up to the point where they seal, but are not so tight as to create too much frictional heat. Some Fox 35 P/L's have even been known to be round! This makes re-starting even easier.

2. If you aren't already, then DO use a uniflow style racing tank with the fuel pickup at least 1/4"to 3/8" outboard of the needle valve centerline. This will allow the engine to run a slightly richer ground setting which is beneficial to the Fox.

3. If you're local rules allow, run an 9x8 APC sport prop. There are better props, but the 9x8 allows the engine to operate in an rpm range that doesn't do so much vibrational damage to the model.

4. Try not to run the engine too lean. Iron/Steel P/L sets such as those used in the Fox 35 do not recover their fit as fast as an ABC P/L would after the engine quits. If you do happen to set it to lean, have a bottle of water handy to douse the head with, and return some of the fit to make the re-start quicker.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Les Akre

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
     A water bottle takes extra time...So try holding the engine with a wet rag during fueling.  Heat sink value seems to be about the same.  Tom H.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
David
Do what Mark said plus make sure the fuel hs lots of castor when possible. also see if you can find a good old silver case fox. I think they came out in the seventies . They are usually good for 500 or more RPM and start better for some reason.
Willis

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
HI Dave,

1. Look ~ 20 posts lower, as the subject was previously covered. Much good info there.

2. Ignore any posts from people who haven't figured out to quickly hot start a Fox, they have no patience & little knowledge.

3. Good Luck & have FUN!

Paul (2nd place finalist, 2009 Northwest Regionals N.W. Sport Race Event)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
yep what Paul said!
he did ok I guess, but I still say I had him covered till I lost my wheel,, sigh,,,

Mark (3rd place finalist, 2009 Northwest Regionals N.W. Sport Race Event)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Well my opinion is restarting a hot Fox is pretty easy. Starting a cold Fox is pretty easy too. What is hard is a lukewarm Fox. That is why you want your pit stops as short as possible. That intermediate stage is a real PITA.

david smith

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »
Thanks for all your input.  I read the other post and that helped me understand what to do.  I just ordered a new fox because the one that I was running broke a connecting rod in flight and Im tired of messing with the other one. I have to try to get it broken in before sig. Thanks every body for your help.
David 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here