News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goodyear scale racing  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Goodyear scale racing
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
A question, what would be the interest in a scale racing class using the goodyear designs that arte out there and an engine decided on by the racers. no high performance stuff, just engines like in clown racing ( Foxes, LA's, etc. ) and using similar rules. Sig has two designs kitted and there are others available as plans or kits ( Dumas Ole Tiger ) that would work . ???   

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Goodyear scale racing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:43 AM »
It seems every area of the country has a GY-type event quite similar to what you described.

Southern California has "SCAR Goodyear"

Texas/Kansas has "Sport Goodyear".

Etc, etc, etc...

These events seem to be popular since the $ investment and ultimate performance is relatively low. That is a big encouragement for 1) non-racing types to try, and 2) old pharts that can't do the fast stuff any more.  ;D

The problem with the kitted Goodyears is that they are .... well .... not very good models. Typically they were designed and constructed like a big 1/2A instead of a true racing  model. Construction is just too wimpy for decent performance and longevity when actually being raced. Gear placement is wrong. I don't think anybody that is racing today is using one of the kits in any form.

As to engines: please take another look at Clown Race as it is widely flown. Only in those locations where a ultra-low performance version is dictated by local rules is anybody using  a Fox or an LA in any competitive fashion. Typical Clown engines are quite high performance, quite often current F2D engines or converted RC car engines. And a competitive Clown is a a test to fly for 7-1/2 or 15 minutes.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
They used to have Goodyear "A" and "B" in Canada, with "A" being unlimited and "B" was the "low performance " class.  "A" eventually exterminated itself with high-cost, high-speed, limited availablity engines.  The refugees infiltated "B" and muddied up the line between A & B to the point that that died, too.

The currently popular racing event over theres is LA25 Sport Race.  ONE ENGINE is the only proven way to run a lost-cost, high participation racing event.

Brodak Clown Race works pretty well with LA15's.  Around here, in addition to the basic Clown and Circus Prince, we allow the Black Hawk Custon Special, which is pretty much the same.  Top speed is about 75 MPH.  Unlike the typical Goodyears, these planes can be raced over short grass.

The old Brodak Clown Race allowed any engine up through .19, but all-out speed needed to be compromised to get laps on one ounce of standard fuel.  They went up to 95 MPH. Management went to the LA15 to eliminate crashes, line tangles and other mishaps, but the results have not shown much of  a difference. 

You have begun by saying you don't want another UNLIMITED event.

LIMITED engine events tend to be riddled with loopholes so the winners are still pretty near unlimited, and furthermore, the menu of legal engines always boils down to ONE WINNER.

So, in conclusion, ONE engine is the way to go.  The OS Max LA15 is generally the engine of choice.  But any other readlily available (if there is such a thing) would do just as well.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
Hi Doug,

I don’t think you are talking about “Scale” racing when you mention the Sig kits as they are profiles. 
Bill’s comments about Sport Goodyear are correct from my very limited knowledge.

I think it would be great if these classes all had a displacement or something to distinguish size in the name.   Goodyear 15 and Goodyear 35 (Foxberg) makes a lot more sense to me.

I am in Colorado. My buddy (Rich) and I joined the local club after attending a meet this last Sept where they held a Foxberg race. I had never seen any Control Line racing before but I liked it. When we inquired how to get started the Sig kits and the .15 class were suggested as well as the Fox BB 15.  We followed this advice and have built planes and purchased motors for the upcoming season.  At the last meeting we talked further on this and it was brought up that historically races for this class are hosted when Colorado, Kansas, and Texas get together. Meaning.. they don’t fly this class here normally. Apparently what was suggested for us to build is not going to be fast enough to be as competitive as our Flatlander Friends. (I can say that as I was born in Ks)

The Kansas and Texas clubs have rules that allow internal controls and are not restricted to a Fox BB 15.  So to make a long story short we thought we were building for a “Spec” class if you will.  This part is a little disheartening but in the long run I think if the two of us newbies are a little slower at first it will help with our learning curve.

I personally would like to have a “Spec” class.  Call it “B” or call it Spec Goodyear 15.   As the class is not ran regularly on a local level that tells me that there are participation problems.  Perhaps the “Spec” class.. *Read that as “Easy” class is a good idea.

As far as my opinions I come from an extensive racing background with cars. I am always one of the organizers/rule writers. However now that I am going to do a little plane racing I would prefer to step aside and let the folks with the vast experience run the show. Racing is Racing however and issues with “Car Count” are the same as “Plane Count.” Hence my thoughts. The KISS method goes far here.

SIG Kits: I like them. The one issue however is that they are built for an Old Fox .15 angle plug engine as far as the hardwood mounting goes. While my buddy Rich was building his and discovering this the hard way, I borrowed the plans and scratch built my Shoestring. I spaced the hardwood for the newer Fox BB 15. It has turned out nice. What you also find is that if you build one this way exactly as drawn,  the Sig kit is a smidge smaller than the drawings. Inside of the black line vs the outside. In places the lines are wide.   I also used Midwest 1/8 regular ply instead of light ply that Sig puts in the kit. It is what I had and I really didn’t know any better.

My plane is heavier than Rich’s. Perhaps this will all be a good thing as I am told that I will “Wad up” a few airplanes during the learning curve. We have club members here who have generously agreed to help us with that learning curve BTW. 

While I was figuring all this out my Sig kits were in the mail. Now that I have them I have decided to build them up with the As Designed Angle plug .15’s so that I get some practice with a slower airplane. Learn to pass, pit etc.  My only goal is to run clean and not get in the way on my first race day.

Given all of this I still feel a little in the dark on what a fully competitive Sport Goodyear plane is.  I still really don’t have any idea how durable they need to be.

Bill Lee stated:   The problem with the kitted Goodyear’s is that they are .... well .... not very good models. Typically they were designed and constructed like a big 1/2A instead of a true racing  model. Construction is just too wimpy for decent performance and longevity when actually being raced. Gear placement is wrong. I don't think anybody that is racing today is using one of the kits in any form.

Based on this and not in an effort to hijack your thread Doug..I would like to ask Bill to further quantify the following.
1)   Construction is just too wimpy.
a.   What do we want for construction?
2)   Gear placement is wrong.
a.   Wrong how? What are we after here?

Right now I like the following when considering a “Spec” class
1)   Solid wood
2)   External controls
3)   Stock motor that is readily available. Fox 15BB or the earlier mentioned OS15. Just pick one.
4)   Scale 1.5” to 1’
5)   And nothing that lets the airplane get far away in appearance from an actual 1-1 Goodyear-F1-Midget racing plane.
6)   No fast fill tanks
7)   I was against the complexity of a Shut off but am told that it makes it easier to go home with an airplane in one piece. That sounded like good advice.

There are still a lot of fancy things that could be done here in the “execution” of the airplanes construction that would make the Bench Racing before and after the event fun as well…

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
Mark, I will make one statement here as I have argued the point from day one.  Shut offs should be required on all of the racing classes bigger than 1/2A.  It makes getting needle settings and trying different props so much easier.  Also when a pilot gets in trouble he can shut down and maybe save several airplanes.  If you could go back and find the articles of scale racers back in the early days of it you can see how construction was done back then.  With todays high performance engines the construction from back then will not hold up to the rigours of racing this day and age.  Racing as you know is an all out event to go as fast as you can and have better pit stops than your competition.  I have made suggestions in the past and have almost been tarred and feathered.  One event in particular thinks speed can be controlled by the venturi size.  They are going just as fast as before.  It is like when they made the rule that only 10% nitro fuel commercial blend can be used in competition.  So you set up your equipment to run on one brand of fuel only to find out the contest organizer has gotten a different blend.  But, until I find a dedicated pilot that doesn't tear up equipment I will do like I did in the early days, build and set up a plane anybody can fly.  Also I only worried about the stability of the plane and not all out speed.  The pit stops in the early days is where we wond races. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »
Howdy Doc,

Already in agreement on the shut offs. Made sense already and now you have added more details to the argument that make me believe that its a good decision.

You mention construction "back in the day" and compare it to what is needed today to hold up to the faster engines. What is the construction of today?
I have a good idea of what was done in the past.  What are the faster engines?  I have no idea.

Also.. what are the "rigours of racing in this day and age"  Again , I have no idea. You could say that "the plane needs to be strong enough that you can hit the pit man in the chest instead of landing it.... cause thats a fast pit stop"   Of course Nascar is going to fine you for that. LOL  (No..I'm not a fan of that kind of racing...but it was funny)

Anyway.. pretend I know nothing..as that is closer to the truth than I can make you believe!  Are folks building these things heavy.. and fiberglassing everything up?  Do you expect planes to survive an "endo" and keep flying. You guys are old hands at this. School the Rookie and tell my why a Sig kit wont work.

Your a flat lander. I expect to meet you this summer. Tell me just how bad I am going to get beat so I know what size tissue box to buy when I come out to fly.
I'll have more fun if I know this going in.

Thanks and looking forward to the information. 

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
Mark, if you fly for the fun of it you won't be crying.  I remember when I told my son, "The goal is to finish a race".  The first time we got it all together was a thrill.  But, there were times the old brain fade would kick in.  Shut offs let you contro your pits stops.  Usually the guys we fly with try to cordinate pits stops so we aren't getting in the way when someone wants to make one.  But, you know burnt plugs and broken props change all that once in awhile.

I haven't checked the AMA site yet, but there should be some plans listed for scale race.  The Little Quicky is my favorite.  I go with 1/2 balsa for the fuselage and a hardwood strip running full length, usually level with the stab.  Of course rudder is ply 1/16 with balsa laminate.  The wing is solid wood the thickness of the airfoil.  It has hard wood leading and trailing edges.  Some have metal motor plate big enough to hold the engine, shut off and fuel tank.  Then sometimes it is only the engine and shut off.  Used to use K&B Epoxy paint with light weight fiber glass for the surfaces in stead of silkspan or tissue.  The wing joint gets a double lamination of the cloth.

If you are in the Denver area, you might look up Dave Rolley that lives in a little town that is just east of there.  There is also Greg Settles that live right in Dinver.  Anyway I think the SIG racers are good for learning, but, need beefing up for the Nelson .15 and Rossi .15.  Those of us that have them are using APC props when we can't afford the fiber glass props.  Maybe if you PM Bill Lee he can give better advice than I have given.  
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
something like plain bearing (non schnurle ? ) 20s only. fixed prop (8x6 ?)
and 5 or 10 % nitro should get something doing maybe 90 mph.

Or  run it speed limited , maybe 'regularity trial ',-NOMINATED race time.
Closest % is 1st ?Saves running and panicing on pit work .

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
Thanks Doc.

I am assuming that there is no gliding at all of these planes. While I understand that for a fast pit you need to get on the ground ASAP, but it sounds as if due to the weight of the plane you dont have a choice on this either.

Dave Rolley, Yeap he has been alot of help! Good guy.

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
I have had to have the pilot lead the plane(whip) for over a lap when the plane ran out of fuel on the next to last lap.  As stated it takes practice which I don't get enough of.  I have set planes down in less than a quarter lap, but, pit man has to be awake and I had to move fast.  Planes slow down quickly if you move out of the circle quickly.  To get extra distance you need to learn to move around the circle keeping lines tight and no up or down.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
Mark,

On the off chance Dave Rolley didn't point you toward the NCLRA web site, check out this link to Wayne Trivin's Tribute Web Site: https://nclraorg.ipower.com/WayneTrivin/Goodyear.html

Also, John Ballard's Lil Quickie is available from the AMA Plans Service. It is plan # 390 and was published in the December 1982 issue of Model Aviation.

As for the power off glide, a Goodyear / Scale Racer does just fine. The learned skill is to get them down as quickly as possible to minimize the in lap - pit - out lap time as much as possible.

Finally, the main construction issue with a modern racer is structural stiffness. The Nelson and Rossi engines wind so tight that a really stiff airframe is needed to absorb the power. The SIG type model will simply shake apart.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »
Great info. Thank you all.

Is there interest in a limited or Spec "B" Goodyear?

1)   Solid wood construction
2)   External controls
3)   Stock motor that is readily available.
4)   Scale 1.5” to 1’ (Allowances to increase tail area for a model that flies well)
5)   No fast fill tanks
6)   Shut offs highly recommended.

(Found this in another thread:   I will be interested to see how the "Limited Stock Engine GY Event" turns out. The SCAR members have talked about doing this very thing with Fox engines.)

What engines are currently ran in the Sport Goodyear class as raced by Texas, Kansas, and SCAR?  Nelson, Rossi, and ?
Are there others and how do these compare to the BB Fox15 for power? I am assuming that there is a very big difference.  I hunted around on the net for prices. Speed costs money and I am sure that you get what you pay for.  Do they need to go that fast and if its the same for everyone wont it promote close "Racing?"

Mark

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:53:27 PM by Mark Misegadis »

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:35:38 PM »
Mark,

Here are the rules for the Wichita Kansas Class II Goodyear:

http://www.nclra.org/SouthCentral/Wichita_GY.htm

The Dallas Sport Goodyear:

http://www.nclra.org/SouthCentral/DMAA_SGY.htm

SCAR Goodyear:

http://www.microair.info/SCAR/SCAR-GY.pdf

The engines are relatively low-tech by modern standards but give good performance on suction and the events are run with the intent of 3-up racing.

In Denver we have been running the Wichita KS rules.  These rules are currently used in Denver CO (every other year, Labor Day contest), Topeka KS (Memorial Day contest), and Wichita KS (second weekend of August).  The Wichita rules allow Nelson glo plug heads the Dallas rules do not.  Stay with a 1/4-32 thread glo plug and you can run the model in Dallas (Labor Day contest).  I haven't seriously looked at the SCAR Goodyear because a Goodyear model doesn't fit in the model case I use for the airlines.

These events are generally supported by the referenced locations for the rules and are reasonably successful.  Most locations are not interested in changing the event for one more competitor because the requested change will usually alienate more of the local members than it folks it will add. 

If you want to start an event from scratch, go ahead.  But it will take a while to build up the kind of contest support described above.

Bring you models out and let us help you. You'll be ready for the Labor Day contest in September.

Dave

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
Hi Dave!    Thank you for jumping in here… And as our local racing guru.. “Its about time you added something to this thread!”

After speaking to you last September I researched and found the Kansas and Dallas rules. While different documents they appear to enforce the same when holding an event.
The SCAR Goodyear link that you provided isn’t working. I would really like to see those rules as well. Perhaps there is a new location for that document out there?

Responses to items in your post below:
DR> I haven't seriously looked at the SCAR Goodyear because a Goodyear model doesn't fit in the model case I use for the airlines.
MM> So.. its bigger than 1.5” to 1’ for scale then I take it….

DR> If you want to start an event from scratch, go ahead.  But it will take a while to build up the kind of contest support described above.
MM> I am interested in the possibility of a “limited” class. While not from totally from scratch but rather lower tech and cheaper to compete in with highpoints like in my previous post and the draft set of rules that Rich Jones ran past you at the last club meeting. I don’t have any interest in promoting something on a national level. If it works however then anyone can cut and paste to their area. It doesn’t appear to be anything new however and I am not the guy who started this thread.. so .. there is some interest I would say.

DR> Most locations are not interested in changing the event for one more competitor because the requested change will usually alienate more of the local members than it folks it will add.
MM> I am not at all interested in changing what folks are running and don’t think that I suggested this anywhere in this thread. Look at this rather as a Feeder Class for the more expensive and faster planes. As a newcomer I know there will be some planes that will be sacrificed to the asphalt gods. Cheaper and easier to build planes will get me as well as others flying again sooner rather than later.

DR>These events are generally supported by the referenced locations for the rules and are reasonably successful.
MM> Great! I look forward to it! What is a typical plane count for one of these events?

More Questions from me: If I am asking too much you guys should just PM me. This is a good place to learn and I am a little enthusiastic.

1)   What engines are currently ran in the Sport Goodyear class as raced by Texas, Kansas, and SCAR?  Nelson, Rossi, and ?
2)   So far in the rules as I read them there is no reference to the building material of the plane. This means to me that should I want to build an all Carbon Fiber plane it would be legal. Is this true? If this is the case then I am sure someone is doing this already?? Of course in a limited class this would not be acceptable due to the material cost.
3)   Douglass Babb – What are your thoughts on any of this as this is your thread?
4)   Paul Smith – Sounds like this has already occurred in a similar form in Canada?
5)   Doc - Any further thoughts on something limited?
6)   Dave Hull – thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who has provided information. This has been a helpful topic for me but I am sure just a rehash of old info for many of you. I appreciate that help the I have recieved from this community and look forward to the summer season!

Mark

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Hello Mark

"1)   What engines are currently ran in the Sport Goodyear class as raced by Texas, Kansas, and SCAR?  Nelson, Rossi, and ?
2)   So far in the rules as I read them there is no reference to the building material of the plane. This means to me that should I want to build an all Carbon Fiber plane it would be legal. Is this true? If this is the case then I am sure someone is doing this already?? Of course in a limited class this would not be acceptable due to the material cost."

I have an airplane set up for the SCAR Goodyear rules. It uses an Moki .15 ABC sport combat engine. Others I have seen competing in this class have used: O.S. .15CV, Fox .15 BB, Moki .15 Sport, O.S. .15FP. Other suitable engines for this class are: Super Tigre G-15's and X-15's, K&B series 73 .15's, O.S. .15LA's, Norvell Big Mig and AME .15's, and Tower Hobbies .15 to name a few.

If starting your own Sport Goodyear event, the first place to start is to determine the airspeed for the event. If most everyone in your area is primarily a Stunt flyer used to 5 second laps, then even an 80-85 mph Goodyear will seem fast. However, 80-85 mph is actually a fairly comfortable speed to race at with a little practice, so you might want to consider that as a nominal speed to shoot for.  An O.S. .15LA should put you comfortably within that speed range.

I have copied the Scar Goodyear rules, and posted them below. You will find that your second question is answered within these rules.

SCAR SPORT GOODYEAR RULES - 2002
OBJECTIVE:
The objective of this event is to provide a forum for team racing competition that allows for
racing with relatively simple and inexpensive, yet realistic appearing, profile models of actual
[racing] aircraft. The Supplemental provision for "ALL SCALE AIRCRAFT" is included for fun
and not intended to give a "RACERS ADVANTAGE". Please participate within the basic intent
of the rules.
Revised supplemental rules for 2002, item #2. Basic Model Rules
1. Basic model rules governing 'profile', landing gear, scale and accuracy and cheek
cowls as per the AMA Scale Race class. This includes painted canopies, race numbers and
AMA numbers.
2. Supplemental rules t2002]. Any scale aircraft may be entered in this event as long as the
following criteria is met. This allows for "Warbirds", Racing Biplanes, Civilian Airplanes, Crop
Dusters or any other "Strange Aircraft" that you may wish to build.
A. All divisions of rule #1 apply to all models, except for (1/8 scale'
B. Minimum wing area must be 150 Square inches. Bi-plane wing(s) area total is min. 150
sq. in.
C. 3-view drawings may be requested by the Event Director. Burden of proof is on
competitor.
D. Stabilizer/Elevator may be increased to +25% of wing area.
E. Scale landing gear per the AMA rules definition will be enforced.
3. 1 ounce maximum size fuel tank.
4. Fuel shutoffs allowed.
5. No pressure refueling systems or MFV's. All refueling to be performed through a
maximum 1/8 inch I.D. tube.
6. Fuel tanks cannot be recessed into the model.
7. All controls (bellcrank, leadouts, pushrod, control horn) must be externally mounted,
although mounting of bellcranks through the fuselage is permitted.
8. Models must be constructed of wood. The use of carbon fiber, glass fiber, Kevlar and
the like shall be limited to reinforcement and/or finishing of the model only.
9. Lines shall be 52'-6" +/- 6" from center of handle to the center of the model. Minimum
line diameter shall be 0.012 for solid, 0.015 for stranded.
10. Models and lines shall be pull tested to a loading of 25 pounds prior to competing in an
event.
11. Any engine may be used that did not have a listed retail price exceeding $150 U.S. as
of January 31, 2000. Proof of retail pricing lies with the competitor desiring to use a specific
engine by presenting evidence showing:
(a) General availability (published advertisements, etc.) at or below the stated limit.
Or
(b) In the case of an older engine, a dated advertisement at or below the stated limit.
12. Organizing clubs may opt to limit an event to diesel or glow engines only. It is
preferred, however, that events held as part of a
sanctioned competition, or, events that are open to non-club members, shall allow both
diesel and glow engines to compete.
13. Glow engines shall be restricted to a maximum of 10% nitromethane in their fuel.
Organizing clubs may opt to provide standard glow and diesel fuel at a race.
14. The organizing club may use either of the following race formats: [set time or set # of
laps]
A. All races to be 15 minute moto's. No final round, with the team recording the greatest
number of laps being declared the winner of the event.
B. Heats of 7.5 minutes shall be used, with the 3 teams recording the greatest number of
laps in the heat races racing in a 15 minute final. The team recording the greatest number of
laps in the final shall be declared the winner of the event. OR
A. 100 Lap preliminary heat (1 heat only) No mandatory pit stops required. Top three heat
times proceed to final.
B. 200 Lap final. No mandatory pit stops required. Fastest time wins.

Cheers, Les Akre

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »
Mark,

All Goodyear classes that I'm taking about are 1/8 scale (1.5 inch to 1 foot).

The current "sport" Goodyear events are the "limited" event you are looking for.  The "sport" Goodyear events are flown on 52 feet lines, with engines limited by price, construction details, or require specific named engines. They generally do not allow pressure fuel feed systems, quick fill systems for the fuel tanks, or hot glove (quick contact) systems for the glo plug. The model speeds are generally in the 80 - 90 MPH range with a few (very few) going in the 95 MPH range.

The AMA event is AMA Scale Race (event 317), and is often referred to as Goodyear. Other than the scale requirements, the engine displacement, and general racing fuel requirements the event is an open design race event.  AMA Scale Race models run in the 120 MPH range.

Why the name Goodyear? The full size air racer class was originally sponsored by the Goodyear company
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/10/stuff_eng_bruun_goodyear.htm

The full size air racer class later evolved into the modern Formula 1 class
http://www.airrace.org/classF1.php

There is a whole different set of events that fit under the description of "big" Goodyear using .35 displacement engines and usually based off of the Goldberg series of models that are in the 390 sq in wing area range.  That is not the event I'm talking about.

Engines:

Get one of the Fox 15 Ball Bearing (BB) schneurle ported engines.  It is an Iron piston/Steel liner engine that will run well on the specified fuel.  If you look closely at the Wichita KS rules you'll see this is the only BB engine allowed.

Fuel systems:

Suction.  1 ounce tank.  No fast fill.  In fact most rules specify that you can only fill through a tube that is no more 1/8" OD.

Shutoffs are often permitted.

Materials:

Make the model out of any material you want.  For the "sport" Goodyear events the advantage is a model that can handle the abuse.  Super light or super strong doesn't  by itself confer any real advantage.  Double the horsepower and that statement changes.  Most folks start with balsa structures (like the Sig kits) and then learn that composite structures (mixed materials) using balsa, basswood, and good quality plywood with some type of resin and cloth finishing system are probably the way to go.

Designs:

Every manufacturer has to make compromises in a design to put it into production.  It is also very likely that the production design does not evolve as the event evolves.  This is what happened with the Sig Goodyear kits.  It doesn't make them bad.  It simply makes them not as suitable as they could be.  Several folks have mentioned designs that would be considered better.  The Little Quickie, the Stardust, and the PoleCat come to mind.  My old model is a Stardust.  My current model is a BooRay.  My next one might be a PoleCat.  Although I have a soft spot for the highly modified Cassutt called the Mariah.  There are many Goodyear designs (model and full sized) out there.

I haven't been home for awhile and do not have access to my files of information.  So I can't give specific answers (what design shutoff should I use) right now.  Catch me at the meeting on Saturday.  I'll bring my Class 2 Scale Racer again so you can look at it.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
Dave mentioned the Fox .15 BB as only ball bearing engine allowed in the Class II Goodyear we fly.  I have been asked why?  Mainly the plain bearing .15 is hard to find and we discovered by trial and error that the plain bearing engine was faster.   I won the the very first race the Sky Devils had with a SIG Shoestring and the plain bearing Fox .15 Schneurle.  I have tried to get more people to try it, but,  if they can't win why try.  Oh I get upset when things don't go right, but in my later years it is the fun of flying three up and just finishing with decent pit stops that makes it fun. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Happy New Years Eve,

The "limited" reference has me totally confused. The rules dont read limited. Perhaps more limited than the AMA 317 class but not per what has been suggested in this thread.

DR> The "sport" Goodyear events are flown on 52 feet lines, (I see this) with engines limited by price, (Where?) construction details,(Where?)  or require specific named engines. (Where?)

Anyway.. I plan on just having fun and not building anything that is too over the top to keep the ratio of flying to building more equal.

Stay Safe and have a good Holiday folks.
(No pun intended Doc!)

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
Only limit is specified plain bearing .15 or 2.5cc diesel.  Price was never a limit.  That was in the original rules as I had a hand in drawing them up while a member of the Sky Devils.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »
Mark,

A "limited" event implies with respect to something.  The base event the sport Goodyear events are limited when compared to is the AMA Scale Race event.  Perhaps that is the source of your confusion.

SCAR Goodyear rules limits the $ value of the engine.

Wichita Class II Scale Race rules limits the engine construction by requiring the crankshaft to be supported by plain bearings or requiring a specifically named ball bearing engine that is pretty much stock.

Have a good one,

Dave

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 10:26:05 PM »
Mark,
The best thing to do is to get your new scale racer out to a circle and enjoy learning how to start it, fly it, and practice racing it with no one else on the circle. Don't know your experience level, but racing requires techniques and skills that are quite different from most other control line activities. Other experience helps, but can also handicap you in certain ways that won't be obvious at first. Take a racer to the field if you can and they can quickly get you past these areas. The So Cal Air Racers (SCAR) require that a team demonstrate that they can perform the racing techniques before allowing them to enter the race. Especially important is pilot technique during takeoff and merging into traffic. This is one of the more critical areas since a pilot that does not get to the center and climb fast enough can hit a pitman in the next pit. I must have entered my Mouse plane in 3 or 4 races as a pit man until they let me transition to pilot. (Pitman is harder!)

I would not worry about top speed until you can complete a race consistently. It is surprising how hard it is to teach a pilot how to put the airplane in the pit man's hands each time. Similarly, it is difficult to teach a pit man not to release a plane after  pitting when there is a conflict that will result in a tangle or collision.

We have a Father/Daughter team that flies what appears to be a stock SIG Shoestring with a sport engine in our SCAR Goodyear event. She is young, but has flown against the fastest guys in the club. My second racing plane was a SIG Buster--that I am still flying. The wing is just balsa and Monokote. I did reinforce the fuselage. Folks say the Shoestring flies better. At high power, my Buster hunts, but I have made improvements and have another in the works to try out. It is great for training the pilot to fly, not just hold the handle. In fact, the current rotation rate for the pilots in SCAR GY using the better engines is way too high to learn racing unless you detune. There is no point in going really fast to the site of your unavoidable crash....

I like flying Goodyear because the planes are fun to watch. The scale aspect does make them a little harder to fly and handle on the ground. Few of them drop like bricks (with one notable exception which we won't talk about), but glide well enough for a trained pilot to whip back to the pitman, generally airborne and above any lines in the pit behind you. This is a must skill for the pilot!

Glad to hear we have more racers, and good luck!

Dave "McSlow" Hull
SCAR

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
Thanks Dave H,

I will  be taking the advice and will just run these two Sig Kits for awhile with the Fox BB 15's that I bought for them. I will reinforce them some based on what I have received in advice from this thread. From there I just want to learn to fly smooth so that I can stay out of everyone’s way.  After that I will finish up the scratch built Shoestring and perhaps get a little fancier in hiding the controls etc. Thats about it though.

Thank you for the Read and Response.

Mark

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »
Mark,
We are always excited about another pilot, or another team. Racing is a lot of fun, so stick with it, and if we can help, just ask.

A comment you made needs a bit of follow-up. Once you can execute all the maneuvers required for a race while flying by yourself, then you need to practice with a second pilot in the circle. At that point, it is great if the second pilot is experienced, because they can coach you real time and talk strategy, etc. They can also help keep you out of trouble, maybe saving a plane or two. But once you are flying 2-up, you need to get rid of the idea that you have to "stay out of the way."  The other guys are expecting you to race, not stay out of their way. (And if you find any that tell you that you need to stay out of their way, chalk it up to them trying to psych you out before the race. Don't fall for it!) You need to be right in there, bumping shoulders so they know where you are, and so you are not running around like a wild man trying to keep up. (Staying right in the center makes it much less work for the pilot.) So what if you are slow at first--it is their job to pass. Just like you shouldn't be bending over all the time to "stay out of their way." Again, it is their job to pass and not whack you in the head. If you are racing hard, and doing everything just like everyone else, they will know right where you are and what you are likely to do. Make them beat you; don't volunteer to lose.

For example, you may be slow or even way slower than the others when you first start. Don't try to go any faster than your pilot can keep up the plane. But if a fast guy blows a plug and you don't make any mistakes, chances are you have just knocked them off. If you give away a couple of laps by "staying out of the way," they might pull off a winning plug change....

Good Luck!

Dave "McSlow" Hull

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
This is really a great post and series of answers. Those SIG kits are outdated, for sure, but I think they can get you going. The Fox15BB is a no-brainer- it is accepted everywhere, runs up to 20K on the easily found APX 6.5x5.5, starts easily. On the Phil/Dale Sport Goodyear team, we fly the "Polecat" as designed by Mike Greb. We've flown "Ricky Rat", "Little Gem", with external controls and OS15s, too. After almost 10 years, the Polecat and Fox15BB is our weapon of choice. Our leading edges are hardwood, as is the tail group. Everything is glassed with epoxy finishing resin. The joints where the flying surfaces mate with the fuse are double glassed. The canopy is inletted and plywood installed. These planes sometimes end up making hard landings, real hard. For the motor to run its best, the nose has to be as stiff and strong as you can make it. Glenn Lee still makes epoxy racing wheels, which are nice, but not a must. His titanium landing gears are no longer available (I think) but a strong dural gear gives a better roll into the pits, less hopping than the wire gear. The gear must leave the fuse in the "scale" location, but where the wheels touch the ground can be altered to improve takeoff and landing roll. I think "heavy" is not only ok, but desired. It's always windy at Racing time, the extra weight on the strings allows better whipping into the pits. The pitman's job is to fuel and start, not run halfway around the circle every time.....that just isn't tolerated by pitcrew! For long, anyway. I'll try to put  a couple pix here, but may not succeed, if you go to the DMAA-1902.org website, (Bill Lee, moderator) there are contest reports with many photos, some are Sport Goodyear, maybe they will give you some ideas.
Thanks for joining us, we can use the help!     dale gleason

Sorry for "showing off" with the trophy picture, but, by gum, we worked so hard and it's just so cute, I couldn't help myself!    dg
Found the "Polecat" in flight.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:25:25 PM by dale gleason »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
Just goes to show what can be had with hard work and practice.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »

The above video from a down under NATS is a real testimony to pilot practice.  Realize that the Austrailian rules allow whipping, which ain't the case in the US.

How those guys ran the whole thing with crashing is beyond me!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
Hey Guys.. just a quick read while I am at work here. I appreciate the information and all the help!

On that Vid...I have to ask. Are breathmints required? If not.. they should be! I am going to show this to my Wife and I'll have to let you know what her reaction is to going out and playing with the boys like this!

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
When I know I will be the pilot in a racing event, I don't take a bath for a week.  The other pilots give me more room. LL~ LL~  Now for breath mints that is another story.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
Another note about the Australian racers, there was a comment made by someone from down there that all three are accomplished F2C pilots.  Their rat races are 10 minute heats with one pit, and 20 minute finals with two pits.  Airplanes with big tanks, and iron men flying them!

And Doc,

"When I know I will be the pilot in a racing event, I don't take a bath for a week."

I always wondered why everyone managed to stand upwind of you! LL~
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Dale,

Can you post some closeups of your plane that show the tank? Nice little plane!

All,

I brought that video up for my Wife this morning. It was pretty funny to watch the look on her face. She asked.."Are you sure you want to do this?"   I laughed and told her not to get jealous!

Seriously.. those guys are fantastic!!!

Doc,  We will have to make sure we haul you off for a dunk in the Solvent Tank prior to the race!!!

Mark

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »
Re the above picture of the inflight "polecat": The tank is wider at the front than at the back. Centrifugal force causes the fuel to pool "forward" in flight and the fuel pickup enters the tank at the forward/bottom, barely extending into the tank (1/16th), The filler tube and overflow face into the "relative" wind. It is a Bill Bischoff designed tank.
dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here