News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goodyear Fuel tank  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Graham Collins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Goodyear Fuel tank
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »
Anyone know of an online source for plans/description/setup of a fuel tank suitable goodyear racing.

Thanks,

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
Re: Goodyear Fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:15:14 AM »
Graham,

What do you want to run most Goodyears are run with a pressure type tank although a uniflo will work.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
Hi Scott,

Uniflow is what I want to use. I have used bladders and wedge type and rectangular uniflo types and clunk types but I never used or build one of the "coffin" shaped type I see on good year racers. I don't fully understand how they are set up and what makes them work. Similar to the other types but not 100% sure.

pictures and drawings always help in the understanding, pictures in magazines and on the net don't answer my questions and there is no one around where I fly that can answer the question.

cheers, Graham

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »
Graham: I'm not a racer so the type of tank you want I am not familier with. But if you check out www.rsmdistribution.com and go to there tanks if you see what you are looking for go to tank accesories and they have kits for all there tanks. Hope this helps. :! :!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »
Graham,
I can shetch you up a tank as soon as I get the half a project done. By the way, I do not think you can buy this type of tank most I have seen are hand built. The coffin style tank is easy to build you just need a good soldering iron and a little patience.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:21:10 PM »
That would be great Scott.

Sad thing is that I recall numerous published articles on this topic from many years ago but I didn't keep the magazines.

I am finding bits and pieces on the net but nothing complete. same goes for fuel cutoffs.

cheers, Graham

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:45 PM »
Basically the fuel pickup and the uniflow go in the corner of the coffin (isn't it actually a half coffin?), Fast fill at the back.  I always put the fast fill at the front, but if you get a really hard catch with a fairly full tank, a front (rubber) fast fill can get turned inside out.

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
Hi Jim,

Now it is starting to make sense. I think I have it figured out, dead simple actually.

Thanks, Graham

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 08:07:51 PM »
My cut-offs were quite crude (crude but effective!) I used a pivoted wire sitting on a shoulder with a rubber band doing the tension.  Full down pulled the wire off the shoulder and did the cut off.  The disadvantage was if you caught on fire, the rubber band would burn and and you had to replace it.  I kept a spray bottle of water at hand, others kept small fire extinguishers.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
where can the fast fill(duck bill) vales be found for our size?
i can find big one local--big enough for a pan rat with 100ft wing span but no small ones.

Thanks
 David
David Roland

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
For rubber fast fills go to    MBS Model Supply  via Google.  Melvin & Brenda Schuette are the owners and have a lot of things for control line.  Tell them DOC sent ya.   Now for the tank.  I made two tanks for TQR in which the rear of the tank is wide enough for the fast fill.  The front of the tank is a quarter of an inch wider.  The pick-up is in the lower front outboard corner of the tank.  The vent is in the upper inboard corner of the tank.  I have to set the planes off slightly rich, but, they come in within a lap or two.  Does not seem to lean out towards the end of the tank either.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 03:14:15 PM »
Instead of a rubber ducky you can get a fast fill that is rebuildable and will last almost forever inverted landing are kinda hard on them. I will be out of town till next week but if you are interested pm me next week.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here