News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:19:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foxberg Results - MAAC South East Zone Championships, Toronto, August 23, 2008  (Read 897 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chris Brownhill and the Toronto Balsa Beavers did a great job orgainzing this major event at the usual venue, Centenniel Park, in the shadow of Lester Peason International Airport.  This was sort of an "alterantive Nats" in that the traditional MAAC Nats was not held this year.

Foxberg Racing

As usual, Keith Morgan performed a microscopic technical inspection of all the models and engines and kept watch of the house fuel, which was of a quality product blended by Randy Ritch and provided by Brad Lapointe.

Races were 70 laps (5 US miles) with one stop and 140 laps (10 miles) with 3 stops.

1st - Steve Stefanovich, flown by Peter Hanson - Shoestring - 4:20 and 10:19
2nd - Dan Birks (junior), pitted by Lenny Bourel - Flite Streak - 4:50 - 12:10
3rd - Paul Smith, flown by Brad Lapointe - Giant Kingpin - 4:39 - 53 laps.
4th - Lenny Bourel, flown by Dan Birks - Super Clown - 5:13
5th - Brad LaPointe, flown by Stewart Henderson - Super Fly - 5:26
6th - Gustavo Urtubey - Mongoose III - 7:20.

It was a nice, clean series of races, and generally pretty close.  Maybe it was the temperature and humidity, but nobody was getting the restarts they needed.  Everbody has done better in the past.

Pictures by Stwart Henderson, are now back from the drug store.

1 - Chris Brownhill about to drop the hat to start a race.
2 - Chris' new Buster.  Chris requitted himself from competition although we would have been happy to have him fly.
3 - The Gustavo Team with the son in the pits and father at the controls.
4 - A lot more under-70 people than you'll ever see at a Fox race.
5 - Brad LaPointe The 1st Baron of Beans pitting his new "Foxberg" racer, a Brodak Super Fly with a stock LA25.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:03:48 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Online BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Flite Streak?
Giant Kingpin?
Super Clown?
Super Fly?
Mongoose III?

This is FOXBERG???  ???

Perhaps it should be called "Limited Fox Race" or something, but certainly NOT "FoxBerg".

(Yes, I know of the raging arguments elsewhere.  Z@@ZZZ )

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
We just call it "Foxberg" out of habit.  This event attracts young people.  People who don't remember Duke Fox, Carl Goldberg, or J. Edgar Hoover.  They don't have the attention span to sit out a Fox pit stop.

1 - But see? A Shoestring still wins, as long as it's Steve's Shoestring.  We're getting up a whipabout to raise funds to send him to The Brodak.

2 - The Final Three teams, Stefanovich/Hanson, Birks/Bourel, Smith/LaPointe
3 - Brad's new Super Fly.
4 - One of my looong pit stops. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:11:11 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Right,
   This isn't Foxberg.This is LA .25 Sport Race!Rules are on the Balsa Beavers web site(www.balsabeavers.ca).Please don't confuse this with another event.We fly this locally and use OUR rules.No apologises, it works for us.It is what it is.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Great to hear it is working for you.  When Shoestring racing was started in Wichita Ks it was guite popular.  Only other plane allowed to start was the Ringmaster, but, only til you got your Shoestring built.  Main requirement was entrant had to fly their own airplane and we still do.  We are fortunate enough to have people that know about how to start a Fox 35 Stunt.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Doc,
Why only the Shoestring? Did you find that the other Goldberg planes (Buster, Cosmic Wind) had some advantage? One of the cool things about Formula Unlimited (or any scale racing event for that matter) is that the crazy guy on the handle can imaging his Buster passing that Cassutt, a la Walter Mitty. Kind of blows the fantasy if my Shoestring is passing someone else's Shoestring.

Dave "McSlow" Hull

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
That is the kit/design the Wichita rules called for.  They were very strict in that only one fuel tank could be used.  In other words it was as close to the kit as one could get it.  DOC Holliday

PS: They did let JJ(my son) fly his Buster.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
  The Wichita KS rules have always had the three Carl Goldberg  Profile Stunters permitted.  They are the Buster, Cosmic Wind, and the Shoestring.  All have very close to the same wing area and the same amount of fuselage side area.  We also allowed their clones by other Manufacturers. Once we DID allow an entrant to enter a Ring Master (S-1) .  I don't remember who it was.
  The planes had to be built PER the plans INCLUDING the 3/8ths inch rudder offset called out on the plans.  The leadout guides could be moved closer together than shown on the plans, but the mean  had to stay as per the plans---ie  you could move the rear leadout forward, but you had to move the front lead out rearward an equal amount.  All planes had to run the same tank and fuel and all had to run a box stock Fox Stunt 35 engine.  The stem of the needle could be cut off and bent over to avoid broken needles in the event of a nose over during landing.    most entrants  utilized the Shoestring  due to its appearance---BUT  The cosmic wind was a low wing setup and the verticle CG  was above the leadout guides and that made for some tilt out during flight that resulted in a little more drag  (loss of some speed).  The Buster was easiest to build, mid wing (good) but the wing, being constant chord and flimsy construction led to its being easily warped (speed loss due to warpage)
  I will say this--  many races were won by Busters (Harold Sprague and Doug Harris from OKC )  Also some were won by Cosmic winds--  (David Denny From Potwin KS  My Number one son. and currently Joe Gilbert from Tulsa OK)  So  The original INTENT  was quite effective in maintaining an equality  that equated out into the fact that "getting one's  act together, learning one's equipment, and PRACTICE is what wins races.
  I have been accused of "going to the factory and hand picking my engines"  That is a LIE.  I have hand picked my COMBAT engines but NEVER a stunt 35,  I usually bought mine from their $10.00 reject boxes.  Unfortunately they no longer have that availability and I just order  like everyone else.
  I intend to soon write an article on racing for Control Line World Mag.  It will be mainly  about Foxberg racing.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here