News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foxberg at the Brodak expands...  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Foxberg at the Brodak expands...
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:08:15 AM »
As posted by Alan Brickhaus, and also Brodak's site, the rules have been opened up.

It was: Fox 35 Stunt on Shoestring, Buster or Cosmic Wind, only three options.

Now:  Also Flite Streak, Lightening Streak, Brodak 25, and LA 25, a total of 15 combos.

--------------------------------------------------------

If this gets back to the Racing ED at Brodak, how about answering this:

How do you use a Cosmic Wind and comply with these four rules?

Cosmic Wind is permitted.
Built to the plan.
2 ounce plastic tank.
Tank in front of the wing.

You can't build it to the plan without having the tank over the wing.  You could make a special tank, but that's against the rules, too.  You could just build something else, but the rule sayes you can use a Cosmic Wind.

My suggestion is to change the rule,

TO: Tank where the plan indicates.

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
Re: Foxberg at the Brodak expands...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »
Paul;

I'm probably gonna ruffel some feathers here but thats OK. What was wrong with the rules the way they were?
 Looks like the easiest way to solve the tank problem is to go back to the original game plan. If it ain't broke don't fix it.  OK before everyboby locks and loads here remember that this is just MY OPINION.

"Billy G"   D>K H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
SO FAR............. I have not participated in racing.  Foxberg is one that I would look at, though.  Why?  Becuase the planes are still available, and the Fox 35 is still available...........

Whatever the reason for the change is in the minds of  the event CDs, I guess.  I would question why the inclusion of other engines when the original "rules" engine is still in production, and not that expensive.  ??? ??? ??? ???
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:42:59 AM »
The engine allowance is probably to attract those who don't want to use the vibration machine but want to race.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »
The engine allowance is probably to attract those who don't want to use the vibration machine but want to race.

I guess so............ but it has seemed to work for a lot of years as a class.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
  They do not vibrate  bad if you break them in properly and balance the props.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
2 ounce clunk tanks in front of the wing,,,
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:55:51 AM »
I wish we could track down the Event Director and get some relief on the "clunk tank in front of the wing" rule.

I was thinking of falling back from a Cosmic Wind to a Flite Streak, but that can't be built to the rules either.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
I guess so............ but it has seemed to work for a lot of years as a class.

TRUE,,,

I enjoyed Fox Stunt 35 events, both Combat and Racing for about 15 years.  It didn't cost me much.  There were plenty of surplus Fox 35 to be had, both my own and those layed off by guys who stepped up to rich kid engines.

Eventually, most of those engines were worn out.  Faced with the need to buy new Fox 35's, sticker price $100, or LA 25's, at about $70, the will of the people was to go with the LA.

I owned about ten Combat and Racing planes set up for Fox Stunts.  But I had the technology to downsize the engine mounts and buy a couple of LA's.  It was that or don't fly.

Paul Smith

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »
  I suggest you look at the plans again.   The mounts extend another 1 1/2 inches ahead of the center spacer shown in your picture.
  AHEAD does not mean above nor below the wing LE  It means FORWARD of the LE and that forward is in relation to the direction that the plane is "SUPPOSED" to be moving.  It can be higher or lower than the wing as long as it is forward  of the wing LE.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
The last three years this event had 8, 6, and 7 entries.  We'll know the answer in June 2007.
If everybody with an opinion had an airplane in the race, it would be one heck of an event.
8 entries in 2007 would have to be posted in the "win column".

It's Mr. B's contest and I'm a bit relieved that I can still use either my Fox or my LA, and not have to buy a Brodak 25.

I had to build a Twister, a Skyray 35, and three 1/2A Skyrays for a one-time trip to the Sig.   
It's good to own the field.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:52:53 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »
Paul,
I hope you really never bought a Fox 35 for $100!

Just quick review of some common sites today, Tower is selling them for $60, Lonestar Balsa for $54 (no muffler--but who needs a muffler for Fox Racing). Finally take one of those old worn out Fox35's and trade it in along with $50 for a new one from Fox.

So you see, this is less than the $63 Tower price for an LA25RC (add a few more bucks for a venturi since I don't see the LA25 CL listed anymore.

And of course this is less than the Brodak 25 $99 list and discounted someplaces to $90 I think (if you can get one).

Now don't get me wrong, I have all 3 engines and appreciate each them for what they are, but lets keep the comments about costs accurate!

<<<Opinion on>>>
My own attitude is that Fox Racing had its heyday. The Fox part was the challenge, and finding a good pitman. I was always able to get mine to restart just fine. However it is hard to compete with a typical Goldberg/Sterling/Skyray model against the Mongoose. I really don't think the LA25 is the salvation. I bet it will be discontinued in the upcoming year as OS goes through another product cycle.
<<<Opinion off>>>

Finally you can certainly fly non-Sig models at the Sig CL contest. I was flying my Brodak P-40 in P40 and Pampa Stunt--although you clearly need a Skyray in the Skyray Fox race. Yes they do encourage you to fly Sig models by allowing the exceptions for Classic.

Online Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
Does Brodak want racing people to come and race ?
The last time I was there I got the impresion that the racing was intended for sport flyers and the racers should stay away
Fred Quedenfeld jr

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
Does Brodak want racing people to come and race ?
The last time I was there I got the impresion that the racing was intended for sport flyers and the racers should stay away
Fred Quedenfeld jr

Hi Fred,

Interesting.......... I didn't notice when I was there, but then I wasn't directly involved in the racing.  There is a maximum amount of effort expended towards having fun, so maybe that was it?  Not being critical here, just curious.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
I remember a comment in a promo for a past Brodak event, "No Rossis, no pro racers"   Although pro wasn't really defined.

Since the event is on the other coast for me, I'm never going to attend, but thought the note was made to restrict it to those who fly for fun.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »
I remember a comment in a promo for a past Brodak event, "No Rossis, no pro racers"   Although pro wasn't really defined.

Since the event is on the other coast for me, I'm never going to attend, but thought the note was made to restrict it to those who fly for fun.

Thanks, Don.  I never saw that. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 05:05:50 AM »
The 2007 Brodak Fun Fly flyer has a box outlined in dashed lines on the third page....

"...If you are a serious experienced racer please do not consider entering these events...."

This is identical to the warning that was included in 2006.  Unfortunately, I can't see it on the web site version.

The 2004, 2005, and 2006 result sheets indicate the same people entering these events every year, so obviously, experience at the Brodak itself is OK.

Since both Clown and Foxberg are run by unique rules, one could make a case that nobody has any experience outside the Brodak, and is, therefore, eligible to compete.  Bring it !

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:40:37 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here