News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:54:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox Burg racing...  (Read 1305 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Fox Burg racing...
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:07:08 PM »
Any good links for a newbie?

What are the rules?
How is it done?

Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Dave Rolley

• Commander
Re: Fox Burg racing...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:20:11 AM »
Ah, the wonders of Fox racing...

There are two major flavors of Fox racing:

1)  Fox 35 Stunt and a 300 sq inch profile model  http://www.nclra.org/Rules/NCLRAFoxRace.html

2)  Fox 35 Stunt and a Goldberg Shoestring, Buster, or Cosmic Wind (the roughly 360 - 400 sq in models)  http://www.nclra.org/SouthCentral/index.html

Of course there are sub-variants under each of those major groupings.  For instance, in group 1 there is http://www.nclra.org/Rules/SSR.html  The difference being it allows any .25 engine (LA 25, for instance).  In general, the LA 25 is an easier engine for the beginner pitman to handle than the Fox 35.  Especially when hot.  Basically, expect the rules to look the same at first glance but to have local detail differences.

If you are looking at this as a local event, find as many sets of rules as you can and pick the ones you like for your group.  It is counter-intuitive, but to a point, the more restrictive the rules (everything stock, including the tank) the more likely no single team will dominate based on equipment.  However, there are two problems with absolutely stock everything.  Defining what stock means and many folks don't have a stock engine.  For instance, all of my Fox 35 engines have been modified over the years.  Not for more power in a racing sense, but modified just the same.  So you need to keep the needs of your local group in mind as you settle on the rule set you adopt.

If you are looking to pick up an event to have something else to fly when you go to a contest, contact the folks that organize the contests you attend to find out what their local rules are.  No use traveling a couple of hundred miles to find out you model doesn't meet their rules in some way.

Most of the time, models in Group 2 will fit into the the Group 1 rules.  Since we are talking a Fox 35 Stunt powered model, if that is the case go ahead and enter.  You won't be at that bad of a disadvantage.  That is basically how the event is run in Denver.  We advertise the NCLRA Fox Race and everyone shows up with some variation of a Foxberg racer.  Everyone gets in some racing and has a good time.  Which is what we are after.

Dave

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
Thanks this helps some.
I need to check out the links.
I hope I can get my son into it.
Paul

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
  Rootbeard,  Give me a call on the Ma Bell on this subject.  I got some stuff that can help you.
   (316)838-8494
  Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »
Ty,

I second that!

My son started out with a Mouse Racer.  He is the pilot and I'm the pitman.

Today (10 years later) we still fly Mouse.  But our primary event for 2 years has been F2C.

It is a great way to spend time with your child, whether they are a teenager or an adult!  Both in the shop and on the circle.

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here