News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 25 for Veco Redskin?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Fox 25 for Veco Redskin?
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:47:33 PM »
I'm going to be building a Veco Redskin as a winter project. Since the K&B .29 the plans call for is somewhat hard to find, I'm thinking of running a Fox 25 BB Schnuerle since I can reposition the exhaust port to match the K&B, at least keeping the look of the plane. Will this engine work OK in the Redskin? Does anyone have experience with this engine as a sport racer?

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
Re: Fox 25 for Veco Redskin?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:09:50 AM »
The Fox 25 will probably fit alright but it is lighter than the K&B so watch your moments   ;) when setting up your plane, if you really want to have a competitive motor a Webra 25 or 28  y1 another motor to consider is a OS Max 25 Ball Bearing. Right now the Webra 28 is the go fast motor but they are hard to find. The R/C helicopter crowd use to use them alot if you find a heli engine you will half to rework the head I think it is square.  ::)

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
The Fox 25BB is claimed to be pretty strong, but I  don't know how it compares to the Webra. It is an iron piston motor. If you are still interested, you can pick up the CL version (without muffler) from LoneStar Balsa for $50 (look under the special deals).

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:52:16 AM »
Alan,

The stock webra will win hands down the stock fox is no match, with extensive rework just maybe, if you chrome the liner, bump up the crank timing 35/65 and up the cylinder timing, 156 exhaust, 132 to 135 transfer ports. piston fit is everything if it will not restart hot in one or two flips,you lose.   

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline bob lindsay

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »

Ken , My plans call for a Veco 29 . That I have , but I plan on using a Fox 25 .
         Cheers Bob Lindsay. #^

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 07:39:43 AM »
Bob - I found a 29R on EBay, but it's going into an airplane my grandfather built in the 60's. I like the Fox because the exhaust can be rotated to the same side as the 29R so the Redskin will still have the correct look, but with a modern engine.

Scott - What model Webra? Where can I buy one? How fast will the Redskin fly with a stock Webra?

Thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »
Webra 28 is today's engine of choice for BTR.  Bill Lee had a supply recently, might try getting in touch with him.

The only minus we've seen to BTR of date is the airplane pulls like a son-of-a-gun (about one pound per ounce of weight).  But with the airpspeed and the line length there's not anything you can do about it except build as light as you can.

Don Burke
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
There was a very pretty Redskin at the recent Cabin Fever contest in Tucson. Not sure what he had under the cowling, but it moved right along. My teammate has an old Redskin kit stashed away and I'm hoping to get some templates. He probably won't pony 'em up until I finish my long neglected Firecracker B-TR....

I can relate to Don's comment on the line tension. Our entry was a bit portly, and if we ever get it up to speed it does tug a bit. Not close to the Formula Unlimited, though....

Dave "McSlow" Hull
So Cal Air Racers

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »
Berts airplane had a Webra.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here