News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engines for Goodyears and Quikie Rat?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline beercamel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Engines for Goodyears and Quikie Rat?
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

What engines are everybody using for Goodyear and quickie rat? 

I have been out of the sport for 30 years and just getting back in..

1- I have a couple of old ST .15 engines from my former Goodyear racing.. before all these 'new' rules happened.. I don't think they are legal now..    I know NCLRA rules state the Fox BB 15 s-port is legal..   But I don't see many Fox engines used..   What do you current guys use and where do I get it ?

2 - For Quickie Rat (QR) My old K&B Rear rotor .40 are not legal in QR according to NCLRA rules...  Neither is the Fox BB ABC engine..

Thanks in advance.. 

BC
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Engines for Goodyears and Quikie Rat?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
For Quickie Rat, the front rotor baffle piston K&B 40 is the one to beat. If you have a particularly good rear rotor engine, simply install the piston/cylinder/case section in a front rotor engine.

As for Goodyear, AMA Goodyear is almost dead. Judging by where you live, you will probably come here to Dallas to race, so look at our Sportsman Goodyear rules on dmaa-1902.org. Either the Fox or the ST 15 would be legal, provided they are unmodified. If you are looking to start anew, get the ASP 15 from hobbypartz.com for $43.40. Free shipping over $50, so buy two! I sell venturis and needle assemblies for these engines that meet our rules.

I invite you to our contest this weekend in Dallas. We are having racing on Saturday 10/11, carrier on Sunday 10/12, and speed all weekend. A flyer is also on the DMAA web site.

Bill Bischoff

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
For Quickie Rat, the front rotor baffle piston K&B 40 is the one to beat. If you have a particularly good rear rotor engine, simply install the piston/cylinder/case section in a front rotor engine.

As for Goodyear, AMA Goodyear is almost dead. Judging by where you live, you will probably come here to Dallas to race, so look at our Sportsman Goodyear rules on dmaa-1902.org. Either the Fox or the ST 15 would be legal, provided they are unmodified. If you are looking to start anew, get the ASP 15 from hobbypartz.com for $43.40. Free shipping over $50, so buy two! I sell venturis and needle assemblies for these engines that meet our rules.

I invite you to our contest this weekend in Dallas. We are having racing on Saturday 10/11, carrier on Sunday 10/12, and speed all weekend. A flyer is also on the DMAA web site.

Bill Bischoff

Bill,

Thank you for the information and the hospitality!..  I wanted to make a couple of races in DFW.. but I am an airline pilot and I am often on the road in Asia!..  as I will be for this next race..   I leave tomorrow.  I get to DFW often.. I have family and friends there.. So I will EVENTUALLY get to a race!

Its sad to see the event is dying off..  Its a load of fun..  I think the combination of the increased complexity.. increased rule making.. , the cost.. and computer games have all been  reasons for the decline of youth participation.. .. I got out of the USAF here in OKC.. as did two of my childhood friends..   Two of us used to fly all kinds of competitive C/L.. ( my old AMA # was 65271... which is no longer available!  I Checked!) Combat, scale, RR, GY.. and my buddy did stunt..   I also have three friends that are interested.. Two guys I flew F-16s with and another friend who is a Master Machinist at the ALC at TAFB.. so I guess there is a the possibility we can put together a small group here in the OKC area... maybe the Oklahoma Circle Jerks!..

I think I will look at getting the ASP engines.. at 44 bucks each thats difficult to beat.. (That is about what I paid for my ST .15.. except in 1969 dollars!!)  I will check what they cost in China on my next trip..  I may be able to get them for half that price..   If so.. you MAY have a 'contact' for cheap engines!..   the last time I ran my ST .15 they were pretty strong engines.. I will have to cap off the pressure nipples in order to be legal..

Carrier is one event I never got into..  But my kid brother is..  (who lives in Keller)..  He is a former USMC F-18 pilot and seems to have an affinity for this event!..  I may just have to learn the ropes just to beat him at his own game!

Thanks again!

Vince P..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:01:29 PM by beercamel »
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »
Come to Socal to race Goodyear!!
The OC CVA and Magnum 15 (tower hobby) are possibilities with Bills venture and needle.
I had Jed Kusick build me a couple of tanks with all the fixins. Jed can probably also setup a motor/prop combo ready to race.

Good luck

Mike

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Was looking at the rules for the Texas scale racers and wondering if a SS15S Enya is legal. It's a ABC  3 port Schnuerle plain bearing motor.
 I use them in our scale racing here in Mich and they are very very fast.
But they do come with a 6.5 MM venturie stock I am getting a bit over 18,500 with a S2 7-5 prop. Bore the venturi out to 7mm and it goes over 20 K on the ground with the 7.5 prop.

We run both a lap race and also a 16 lap standing start race with the scale planes, the taper wing Cassut I run can do 2.8 sec. lap times and restarts well hot.
You should look into them , you can get them direct from Enya in Japan.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:57:43 PM by Richard Imhoff »
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »
If it is a true plain bearing then it would be legal. I know there is a single bearing version that outwardly looks like a plain bearing engine. Your 2.8 second lap time would be 22.4 for 8 laps, which is right in the ballpark. Just today we had a contest, and the top 3 times for 160 laps /3 pits were 8:33, 8:34, 8:42.

The ASP is available online for $43.40 from hobbypartz.com. At that price it's hard to beat, but it's always nice to have more options. How much do the Enyas cost? Are they readily available? How do you contact Enya?

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
I have bought Enya engines from Bobby Brooks, aka "shtterman" who does business as "The Control Line Store" on E-Bay. Right now he lists Enya 3 C/L .15 engines on his site: the SS15 which is plain bearing, schneurle, I think this is the one Richard is referring to-$88.00, the SS15BB (not legal and does look a lot like the plain bearing version) at $109, and the 15-5S (plain bearing, non-schneurle, more sport than racing), $69.99. He is a reliable vendor and also stocks parts. Randy Smith is also an Enya distributor and may have some in stock. 8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:03:20 PM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
The ASP is no good for our racing as it's plain bearings only, I get my engines direct from enya the cost with shipping is less than Randy's price.
They are some time out of stock but he always has them in a short time if not in stock at the moment.

The lap times I can get are a bit faster than I stated, the best i have got with two different engines is 2.6 sec.  on .012 52.6 lines and the 7.5 master airscrew S2 prop. Tried many props but that prop is the one the engine likes. I have a couple of XX Fox 15's but I don't use them as they are not avaible to the public any more, super fast but it's not fair the the other guys.
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here