News:

• May 17, 2024, 05:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Choice and Hot Restarts  (Read 2447 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine Choice and Hot Restarts
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
This isn't really about racing, but I figure that if anyone knows the answer it should be you guys.

For the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon I had the notion that I'd just put in as many consecutive flights as I could manage with one guy on the handle: short-tank, start, fly, shag the plane, repeat.  But with an FP-20, it turned into: short-tank, start, fly, shag the plane, go shoot the breeze with the RC guys until the engine cooled enough to start, repeat.  Instead of my imagined "lots" of flights, I think I managed about six in the two or three hours I had available.  I'd like to do better next year.

I have, in my collection, an FP-20, a couple of LA-25's, and a couple of old OS 25Ss.  They all bolt onto my Ringmaster, and I've got at least one good engine of each type.

Which one would be best for my imagined flight scenario, and what should I be doing with fuel, plug, battery, whatever, to make sure that restarts are as quick and as sure as can be managed, and that I don't damage anything?

TIA.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Choice and Hot Restarts
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
Don't run your engines so lean.   A good fat four cycle or rich run.   Mine were needled just enough so I could do an old time pattern until we decided to short tank and go for number of fights.   Then it was richen the engine a little.  Of course we are using the old reliable Fox .35 Stunt.   Another alternative is the old electric finger which was used on a couple of planes this past year on engines that were not Fox.  But, when you race Fox stunt engines you learn how to restart a hot engine.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
A racing trick for starting hot engines is to pour some water on them to cool them off quickly. Seems like it shouldn't be getting that hot, though. What prop are you using?

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
9-4.  It seems perfectly happy when running, and it does pretty much the same thing even when I run it fairly rich.  It just doesn't like starting unless it's cooled way down.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
Tim, i too have an FP-20 on a flite streak that lacks a lot of compression, runs great when started, but is hard to start and really hard to restart hot. I would suggest the la 25, slow combat fliers restart them hot quite easily!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
Starting technique sometimes has to change for a hot motor, too.

Many like to be flicked when cold, bashed when hot. That extra impulse energy comes in handy in overcoming the will of your cylinder charge to sneak past the piston.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Joe Just

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »
Tim here is a "tip" I have used many times hen I was able to race.  Get a clean rag, saturate it wiuth alcohol while the plane is in the air.  Catch the plane with the rag in your hand, covering the motor with the rag.  Then remove it fuel up and in most cases you will find the engine cool enought for a re-start at once.
Joe

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
I handled the FOX re-starting by directing the tank overflow onto the head fins.  Was lucky I never had a pit fire.
I cured the problem by going to Magnum 25, then Brodak 25.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
In all honesty here, if you REALLY want hot restarts why not try a Davis Diesel conversion head for the LA 25 or if you simply must stick with the glow what about one of those clamp on heli cooling rings for the head?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
I myself don't think the LA's will take the punishment of be dieselized. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
If the LA won't start hot as a glow then it's not going to start any better hot as a diesel.

The crucial variable is piston and liner fit.

;)

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
One thing that hasn't been touched on, but is very important to this discussion, is are you running a muffler on your 20 FP? Mufflers change the restart characteristics of most engines that once restarted fine when run without. Most racers do not run mufflers and their restart sequences are predicated on that. Since it is a "Sport" airplane you were flying, and the current Sport/Stunt etiquette is to run mufflers, I thought I'd ask.

One of the fellows in our club decided to try a muffler on his Fox 35 powered sport racer one year a the N.W. Regional's. As I recall, he had trouble restarting, but it sure was quiet. When the muffler was removed, the restart characteristics improved. He eventually found a restart procedure that worked with the muffler, but ended up not using it due to an uncompetitive airspeed loss. The muffler also acts like the big old heat sink that it is, and if your engine gets really hot, it tends to stay hot for a long time.

Merry Christmas to everyone, Les

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
Yes, it's using a muffler.  And, it'd be for flying in a state park that's pretty sensitive to noise issues.  The club works hard to stay on their good side, so the muffler needs to stay on.

Thanks for thinking of that issue -- I'm not sure if I can find a way around it, but it's certainly something I'll need to keep in mind when I weigh folks' answers and try things out.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
Could be the engine is not quite broken in yet.   When out flying, using the mechanical stooge, I have no problem on restarts as soon as stooge is hooked up and plane refueled.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
I myself don't think the LA's will take the punishment of be dieselized. 
Ah, yeah they will.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
If you're not in a racing event, just use an eclectic starter.

For an investment of under $50 for the starter, battery, and charger, a lot of previously shot engines will come back into service. 

I used to be a hnad-flipping fanatic, but mufflers made hand-flipping more futile than Earther weapons.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
If the LA won't start hot as a glow then it's not going to start any better hot as a diesel.

The crucial variable is piston and liner fit.

;)
Yep, and the mechanical reason is that the use of kerosene as a fuel base as compared to methanol will result in far less latent heat loss from evaporation effecting the piston's fit.
(The piston shrinks rapidly and well before the liner when presented with a rich fuel charge upon restart.)

I would still put my money on a diesel starting better after a run than a glow - all other things being equal.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 02:59:56 AM »
Yep, and the mechanical reason is that the use of kerosene as a fuel base as compared to methanol will result in far less latent heat loss from evaporation effecting the piston's fit.
(The piston shrinks rapidly and well before the liner when presented with a rich fuel charge upon restart.)

If that did happen wouldn't the outside of the liner be cooled first by the fresh charge before the piston, thus shrinking it onto the latter?

Isn't the Ether even easier to evaporate than the methanol? What role would it's latent heat of vapourization play in cooling the p/l in a diesel?

Are you confusing heat and temperature?

Wouldn't the loss of heat be insignificant c/w the overall heat energy of a warmed up engine?

Why don't you bring your LA 25 with DDD diesel head out sometime to Whalan and we'll see how long it lasts on an APC 7 x 7, it's a normal racing prop for 25 class engines..

So many questions!

;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:39:39 AM by Ray Fairall »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
If that did happen wouldn't the outside of the liner be cooled first by the fresh charge before the piston, thus shrinking it onto the latter?

Isn't the Ether even easier to evaporate than the methanol? What role would it's latent heat of vapourization play in cooling the p/l in a diesel?

The ether content is what - 33% at most and the diesel stoichiometric ratio is about half of what a glow is so while ether may be the better choice the amount available for the task is far, far less.
Are you confusing heat and temperature?

No, are you? I mean, what a question, for this application they are the same thing.

Wouldn't the loss of heat be insignificant c/w the overall heat energy of a warmed up engine?

No, the incoming charge will hit the inverted cup of the pistons cavity long before it hits the liner and further the piston eclipses the liner totally on part of its stroke thus blanketing any effect.
Plus the liner has the benefit of being cooled by the outside world, the piston has no such luxury.

Why don't you bring your LA 25 with DDD diesel head out sometime to Whalan and we'll see how long it lasts on an APC 7 x 7, it's a normal racing prop for 25 class engines..

So many questions!

;)

Don't have one mate and even if I did racing bores me.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »
Now my son loves racing, the faster the better.  Especially when it is three up.  He says stunt is boring to fly and watch.  I did a lot better at racing than any other event as long as the rats were around 115mph.  Carrier was my other event.   Even tried a diesel in carrier.  Hard to get airborne when the deck is lined up with the wind down the tail of the plane. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:29 AM »
The ether content is what - 33% at most and the diesel stoichiometric ratio is about half of what a glow is so while ether may be the better choice the amount available for the task is far, far less.
No, are you? I mean, what a question, for this application they are the same thing.

No, the incoming charge will hit the inverted cup of the pistons cavity long before it hits the liner and further the piston eclipses the liner totally on part of its stroke thus blanketing any effect.
Plus the liner has the benefit of being cooled by the outside world, the piston has no such luxury.

Don't have one mate and even if I did racing bores me.

For heavens sake Chris get a life!

This is just BS and nonsense with no connection to reality.

::)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here