News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dallas Rules GY times  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dallas Rules GY times
« on: July 28, 2019, 06:58:53 PM »
What is a good time for a competitive Dallas rules GY? 8 lap intervals.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Dallas Rules GY times
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:45:16 PM »
What is a good time for a competitive Dallas rules GY? 8 lap intervals.

Poor: 24 seconds
Usual: 23
Good: 22
Really good: 21
McCollum: 19  ;D
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:05:45 PM »
Just how much arm do you let John get away with down there in the Land of Longhorns?

Divot McSlow

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »
John flew my Quickie Rat at Tuscon one year and helped me a lot.  ahe doesn't use arm like I have seen some people do.  I remember first time I met him in St Louis team trails foe F2C.  Used arm for first lap and rest was up to the plane.  He is an honest pilot in my opinion. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 04:39:12 PM »
Poor: 24 seconds
Usual: 23
Good: 22
Really good: 21
McCollum: 19  ;D

According your chart above, I would qualify for federal funding.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
Doc,

Your post has got me laughing good. Thanks!  I flew against John a number of times at the Cabin Fever contests over the years. He used just about every trick in the unpublished pilot's handbook on me. The first few times I got schooled. After that, not so much. His trick of last resort was once everybody got airborne and into the center, to repeatedly claim that he was an old man, and I should take it easy on him--all the while he was stepping back to fly the backside of the circle and whipping like crazy to set up a pass. After all, it's only illegal if they call it....and you still get two good fouls, right?

Now most of the time, since John builds some good engines and some good planes (like the Gold Rush for Quickie Rat), he had no real need to whip. But it sure made things more fun and exciting. (Go watch the Aussie event where they are racing some BIG planes and whipping is encouraged. That was some of the most "manly" racing I've ever seen....)

Good times. Glad to hear John is still enjoying it.

Divot McSlow

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:00 AM »
Doc,

Your post has got me laughing good. Thanks!  I flew against John a number of times at the Cabin Fever contests over the years. He used just about every trick in the unpublished pilot's handbook on me. The first few times I got schooled. After that, not so much. His trick of last resort was once everybody got airborne and into the center, to repeatedly claim that he was an old man, and I should take it easy on him--all the while he was stepping back to fly the backside of the circle and whipping like crazy to set up a pass. After all, it's only illegal if they call it....and you still get two good fouls, right?

Now most of the time, since John builds some good engines and some good planes (like the Gold Rush for Quickie Rat), he had no real need to whip. But it sure made things more fun and exciting. (Go watch the Aussie event where they are racing some BIG planes and whipping is encouraged. That was some of the most "manly" racing I've ever seen....)

Good times. Glad to hear John is still enjoying it.

Divot McSlow

The only accurate thing I can see above.   :(
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »
To clarify, John McCollum is not running in the 19's with an ASP. He was using a G15 at the time, with .012 solid lines and internal controls. At that same time, some of the best Foxes were running in the 20's. Most of the ASP Sport Goodyears run between 75-80 mph (22.5-24.0 sec). They are required to have external controls, and .015 stranded lines are now required for all.

As for John's flying, I can't confirm or deny what Dave says since I wasn't there. I will say it is very inconsistent with what I have observed and experienced.

Bill Bischoff

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
I just can't help it!  There once was an 18 second Sport Goodyear. Still is, but, alas, its crew crew has fallen aged (Lazy?)

And, more importantly,

John McCollum flies by the rules, a gentleman competitor.

dale g

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:34:40 AM »
I'm not as good as I used to be, and I never was...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here