News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clown racing  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
clown racing
« on: August 14, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »
what engine is the hot setup for clown racing?
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
Re: clown racing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:04:55 AM »
Joey,
I understand that alot of the guys are using F2D combat engines Fora's and the Profi with success another is the OS max 18 car engine or a 19 Nelson if you want to spend the bucks.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
Russ Green had very good runs with a second hand Nelson 15 with a fai combat sized venturi. At the Nats he had  166 laps in the heat.  Had some gloplug problems in the final.

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
thanks guys
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 03:37:25 PM »
How fast do they get these things going?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:05:48 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:19 AM »
Yep this event is going the way of all the other fun type racing events.  Special engines.  That is one of the things Wichita, Kansas (Wichihawks) had going for their Shoestring Racing.  Goldberg Shoestring built as close to the box stock as possible with Fox 35 Stunt for power.  It was three up racing that even us old farts could fly.  In which the entrant had to fly his own plane.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 11:26:47 PM »
The Moki 15 sport engine is a good choice as well. Not in production anymore though. I used one to turn 340 laps at this years N.W. Regional control line competition.

Any engine that will turn low 19's for 7 with about 48-50 laps range and good pits will get you consistently over 300 laps.

Regards, Les Akre

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:48:05 PM »
Yep this event is going the way of all the other fun type racing events.  Special engines.  That is one of the things Wichita, Kansas (Wichihawks) had going for their Shoestring Racing.  Goldberg Shoestring built as close to the box stock as possible with Fox 35 Stunt for power.  It was three up racing that even us old farts could fly.  In which the entrant had to fly his own plane.  Later,  DOC Holliday

Hi Doc,

I agree with the sentiment you are alluding to.  A 'fun event' quickly becomes a full blown competition where money rules.  FoxBerg 35, Clown, and even Goodyear have all gone "big time".

I can't complain since I have never entered a racing event.  Not because I woldn't like to, but mainly because I don't have enough money left over from my CLPA ventures to get a competitive engine for any events today.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
Bill,

You are right with part of your comments and wrong on other parts.

Foxberg, as it is run in Kansas, is not a big dollar event.  It is still the Goldberg or Goldberg derived kits (Brodak) with a stock Fox 35.

NCLRA Fox Race harkens back to the very beginnings of AMA Slo Rat with a 300 sq inch wing and a stock Fox 35.

The NCLRA has a new event for folks that got tired of flogging a Fox.  It is called Super Slo Rat (SSR).  It is basically the same as NCLRA Fox Race except it allows the use of a stock plain bearing .25 engine.

None of those can be considered big money events.

NCLRA Flying Clown Race requires a specific design model and allows any engine up to a .19.  Glo or diesel.  But you are limited to a 1 ounce tank. 

Right now 2nd hand F2D engines seem the way to go.  But that may change.  I have seen one Clown Racer with a recent F2C engine on it, but it turns out that does not mean certain victory.  It seems that in racing, the fastest model doesn't always win.

As to Goodyear, man it was over the top more than 30 years ago.  Full length tuned pipes, megaphones, weird fuels.  You name it.  Where it sits today is a shadow of where it was when it was its most complex.

The problem with control line racing isn't racing.  The problem is two-fold.  There is no progression between the events and there is no one keeping the faith for the beginner events beyond the local level.  Once the event is flown at the Nats, Nats level competitors want to fly it.  And they want to fly it at the Nats level.  And that is a far cry from the person that just wants to get their feet wet in racing.

So the key to entry level racing?  Race entry level at your local contests and enforce the separation between the entry level folks and the experts there.  For instance, no expert teams allowed.  If the experts want to race either the pilot or the pitman has to be an entry level competitor.  Make a club rule (and enforce it) about the engine(s).  if you have folks coming in from out of town, let them know about the way you run the event.

I've often thought we should do something like have reed valve Mouse Race for the normal teams and then run a second reed valve Mouse Race event at the same contest with its own set of trophies.  Only in the second event the pilot and pitman have to reverse their roles.  The pilot pits and the pitman flys!  For most teams it might be the first time the pitman has flown in years!

We lose control of our events because we allow someone else to take control away from us.  However, there are plenty of exampleswhere clubs have decided that they are going to stabilize an event regardless of what the national level rule making organization decides to allow.

You want a beginner or entry level event?  Pick one, find some like minded folks, and go for it.  And then control the event to meet the needs in your area.

May I suggest either the Wichita Kansas Class II Scale Race (Goodyear):

http://www.nclra.org/SouthCentral/Wichita_GY.htm

or the NCLRA Fox Race, SSR, or F2CN:

http://www.nclra.org/Rules/index.html

Dave Rolley

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »
Thanks, Dave!  Entry level events sure don't seem to stay entry level for long.  <=

I have seen the same thing happen to events in stunt that were designed to increase participation and it wasn't long before they became "practice flights" for  top level flyers.  Profile Stunt is an example.  I guess it's the nature of the beast.  I am, and have always been, for competition.  In Stunt we do have the skill classes, which have helped tremendously IMHO.  Maybe racnig and speed could eventually evolve into some kind of similar situation, but numbers will have to increase for that, I guess.  So it's the dog chasing the tail I reckon.  More participation needed is lways the situation.

I guess I sounded somewhat cynical, but that wasn't really intended.  We have very little racing around here, in fact only one contest that holds any.  With such low participation, there just isn't much choice as to choosing events.  You have to enter what few events are run.

I have an idea to propose to our club.  After looking at the link you gave for the Witchita event, it seems that those are very close to what I am thinking.  It revolves around the original early '60s Goodyear idea.  Limit engines to stock LA 15s, or a similar low cost one, and a scale profile Goodyear plane.  Who knows, it might "fly".

Thanks, again,
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 09:50:48 PM »
Good evening Bill,

Yeah, the problem is if it is simple enough for the entry level modeler, it is easy to compete in.  Well, maybe that isn't the problem.  The problem starts when some says "We oughta allow ...." and the powers that be over the event respond with "That sounds OK to us, go ahead."

For years I argued that the Topeka and Wichita clubs should allow more engines into their Sport Goodyear event (the Class II Scale Race event).  That if I could run an engine I already had, I'd race the event.  Fortunately the answer was always the same.  Go get a legal engine and quit asking us to change the event just for you.  When my son started flying models and got interested in racing he wanted to try the event.  A friend tossed us (literally) one of his old models and I finally purchased an appropriate engine.  It has been a ball for a number of years now.  It is great three up racing on 52 feet lines that most anyone that can handle a Class 1 Mouse in three up racing can handle this class of racing.  The difference being the races are longer and the models pull harder.  OK, the models are faster, but the longer lines (52 feet vice 42 feet) make up for some of the speed increase.  Guess what?  I was wrong.  I really didn't want them to change the rules.  I just thought I did.

The key to keeping an entry level event is to "just say no".  The event doesn't need higher performance or more modern equipment.  In many ways just saying "no" to the requested "improvement" is just like suggesting that it is time for someone to move up in the PAMPA classes.  That it is time to go play with the bigger kids and leave the entry level event to the entry level folks.

Don't get me wrong.  There are times when the rules need revision.  But more often than not the change that is needed is an increase in the restrictions to counter something not previously addressed.  Not a relaxation of the existing restrictions.  And what if someone's pet configuration is now no longer legal?  Well, if they can't enjoy the more restrictive event maybe it is time to move to one of the less restrictive event.  Unfortunately, in racing, folks seem to take the change personally and quit rather than to continue competing by either accepting the change or moving to one of the less restrictive events.

BTW, how are my son and I doing today?  We still race both Class 1 Mouse Race and Wichita Class II Scale Race.  We aren't always or even often the winners, but we have a lot of fun with it.  We also now race F2C Team Race.  So we are back at the entry level again.  Abet on a slightly different level of racing.

Dave

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
Hi Dave,

I agree with the "just say no" idea.  There just seems to be soo many events that have evolved into something that they were not originally meant to be by relaxing the rules.

I'm glad to hear that you and your son are still at it together!  It is wonderful to have something that you can share and ENJOY.  Best of luck to y'all in the F2C venture, from what the AMA was saying awhile back, we need added participation in the C/L (as well as several other areas) FAI events to keep sending a team to the WC's.

Thanks again!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »
I remember the origination of Class II Scale Race.  The Sky Devils of Kansas City Missouri were the originators.  I was a member of the club.  Bill Wright and Jim Dunkin had quite a bit of say in the rules also.  Jim even had a plain bearing diesel he was going to run with a 3/4 ounce tank against our plain bearing 15's with 1 ounce tank.  Shut offs were optional.  I somehow won the the first race flown at the Swope Park site which is no more.  Last Saturday Melvin was showing me his reworked Fox 15 that is flying circles around us.  But, our plane was slow enough that Aaron was not intimidated when I sent him out to take the handle from JJ.  Dave knows full well that JJ and I are not the fastest in any form of racing.  Lack of practice and good equipment.  Did also get JJ's AMA Goodyear up for a couple of tanks.  Melvin says we need to take another couple of seconds off of the 17 flat we were getting with 2 flip starts.  Now I need to find room for 6 each of Mouse Racers and Class II Good years.  Will be getting the youngsters on the big Goodyears soon.     Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 03:50:09 AM »
If I'm reading the Wichita class II Goodyear rules correctly, then any plain bearing .15 manufactured in quantities over 1000, and the Fox 15 BB are legal, is that right?

What are some of the engine brands currently being used?

I've been researching plain bearing 15's lately, and the Norvel Big Mig 15 looks like it might be a good choice if it qualifies.

Regards, Les

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 08:22:29 PM »
Hi les,

Um, would you believe Fox 15s?  Cheap, easy to get, and they run pretty well.  Use one of the APC 6.5 x X series props.  Up to about 5.5 pitch will work depending on the day.

AFAIK, the Big Mig 15 would be legal.  They are supposed to be real miserly on fuel and yet have some power.  The only thing you need to be sure you address is the anodized head and cylinder fins.  A standard clip from the center post of the plug to the case isn't going to conduct electricity.

Dave

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »
One thing you might consider for entry level events is to add more pit stops.  In CL racing learning to pit and fly is the big thing.  Fix the tank at something large, like a 2oz Sullivan clunk tank and require a pit every 15 laps or so, along with filling through a plain, 1/8 in. o.d. line on the tank.  Lots more chances for mistakes, lots more chances for the lead to change hands, lots less emphasis on having the highest performance motor.

And don't ban the pros from flying.  Just limit the trophies to one for team in the "pro" class.  Beginners need to fly against good flyers to get better.  And a couple good teams flying against 5-6 less experienced ones just might teach them how to fly and pit better.
phil Cartier

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »
Phil,

You have two very good suggestions.

I found out a long time ago that to get better you have to compete against those that are better at whatever you are doing.

Dave

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 09:40:18 AM »
I don't race much Dave, so one of  you real racers will have to make the rules proposals.  I got the ideas from when we started Foxberg years ago.

Evenly matched, slow planes, no "hot" setups.  Usually at least 3 up flying.  It was a lot of fun.  The fun goes away when one or two teams get a couple of really good engines and nobody else has a real chance unless they make a big mistake.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »
I agree in that is what keeps killing a sport racing event.  Of course I watched and witnessed Bill Bischoff disqualify himself in Foxy Racing at the NATS.  He had a Fox that was bought second hand and never looked at.  When tearing down the engine for inspection he noticed where someone had smoothed up the insides of the old Fox.  His statement was: "Lessoned learned".   But, it is a lot of fun when an old man like me can get in the circle with a plane that is probably doing all of 60+ with two other planes of the same speed.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »
The interesting thing about this whole racing discussion is...

None of this works at the Nationals!  Folks go to the Nationals for a lot of reasons, but learning to fly an event shouldn't be one of them.

So where would any of these suggestions work?  Right at our local flying sites.  And that doesn't require rules proposals to anyone but the local group.

The AMA is not responsible for the horsepower race or the trick equipment problems at the local level, we are.  We are the ones that can create an event with evenly matched equipment rules.  Then we have to enforce the rules AND give the CD the power to say "Excuse me, Mr Go Fast, that model is not within the intent of this event."  And the local group has to back the CD!

However, after saying all that, we also need to have events for the newly experienced folks to move up to.  Something that lets them experiment with their ideas.

One the things I love about stock Fox 35 racing is no one gets a really good engine.  The thing I hate about stock Fox 35 racing is I get to flog the blankity-blankity thing and there ain't no such thing as a good one.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
Hey Dave,  you sure didn't have much trouble with JJ's plane at the last Denver contest.  But it does take practice to learn your equipment no matter the event.  Also the newbies when they get proficient at the begginner events can think of moving up to the official AMA events.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »
Better look again.  I just did and it is now over $148.00 and going up.  DOC Holliday

Ended at $203.50!  OUCH! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »
Rereading all the posts on this thread, it just dawned on me what has happened.  When  I got started it was Rat Racing as the main racing event.  We were still trying to get a consistent 115+ out of our equipment.  But, it seemed everyone was about equal in air speed and it was the pits that usually decided who won.  Also there was almost a contest every weekend that had Rat Race.  We flew out of grass fields and the pilots learned to get the plane close to the pit man.  Every time I suggest running a monthly or bi-monthly racing event I almost get tarred and feathered.  This year may be different if I can work it out.  Later as I got to get some ZZZ's before crossing duty.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
Doc,

Unfortunately we can't stop technological progress.  Although I remember how great it was when I was racing FAI-TR 40+ years ago, I can't help but wish we had had the engines available then that we do now.   Although I'm not now able to particpate in F2C, nor want to, due to my age and slow relexes.  F2CN is still enjoyable, except for the stinky fuel, and it sure is easier on the pilot!

So I do that and Clown, SSR, and even BTR things.  I must brag that we Duly/Burke were the first to go 300 laps in Clown at the NATS and the first to do it with an over-the-counter F2D engine.  I also was one of those who planted the seed for the SSR class even though I thought we should have just allowed those engines in the FOX race.

I don't see anything wrong with the engine rules in Clown, but do feel that when someone really does it right with an F2C engine, it will be all over for everyone else.   It's taking a little longer than I thought last year, but I still think it will happen.  So what to do?   I think we should change the Clown rules to stop that.  But most want to wait till after it happens as no one seems to be willing to prevent it in the first place, cest l'guerre.   
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »
What would you change in Clown Racing?  I remember we campaigned for years to get Rat Race down to 21 size engines to no avail.  Even tried that with Slow Rat, same results.  Now we have Hamster Rat and still fewer Slow Rats.  I think the late Ken Smith had the right idea with B-Team Race in limiting the speed limit and the designs.  He was hoping to make it a spectator event when I talked to him, in that it would be slow enough we could have 3 or 4 planes up at a time.  I love racing and carrier, but, have run out of room and no one to practice with.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
The way to stop the F2C engines from becoming THE engine in Clown is to limit the event to non-integral fin engines.  Integral fin liners (the liner and the cooling fins are one piece) and integral fin blind bore engines (the liner, cooling fins, and head is machined as a single part) are a good deal of the technology jump from the older F2C engines.  Of course, ABC and AAC liners, good bearings, and affordable tight tolerance manufacturing processes help.

Doc, the problem with the .21s in Rat was they were almost as fast as the 40s.  For a fun event, the pilot is the primary limitation.  When it gets too much like work (the pull in slo rat) or the model is too fast for the once a month pilot, the pilots drop out.

It is the same problem faced by F2C today, there are way more mechanics than pilots.  And that was true when I first got interested in 1975.  There were 4 F2C mechanics (or mechanic wantabees) in Denver and and one F2C pilot back then.  Unfortunately the pilot and one of the mechanics moved to New Mexico about that time.  I didn't find a local pilot I could work with until my son decided he wanted to fly.  Maybe that statement should be I didn't find a pilot that could work with me until my son started flying.  Either way, I didn't get serious about the event until I had a pilot.

Like I said earlier in this thread, you have to make it work at the local level.  If that means additional controls or rules, then that is what it takes!

Dave

Offline Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »
what engine is the hot setup for clown racing?
As of yesterday, Vic Garner's latest engine is a "hot setup".  Also, it's on a good plane.  I don't have important details.  It's an engine that I've never seen on a racing circle, and it's not expensive.  Kind of supports the idea that there can be many hot setups in Clown.  That continues to be the special charm of this event. 
The downside is that the wide variations in airspeeds among the planes in a heat results in some very challenging piloting.  The upside is it's never dull, and there's always something for the engine tweakers to experiment with.
Cheers,
Randy

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 06:55:35 AM »
Randy,
OK, I'll bite which motor is it.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 07:59:24 AM »
The way to stop the F2C engines from becoming THE engine in Clown is to limit the event to non-integral fin engines.  Integral fin liners (the liner and the cooling fins are one piece) and integral fin blind bore engines (the liner, cooling fins, and head is machined as a single part) are a good deal of the technology jump from the older F2C engines.  Of course, ABC and AAC liners, good bearings, and affordable tight tolerance manufacturing processes help.

Doc, the problem with the .21s in Rat was they were almost as fast as the 40s.  For a fun event, the pilot is the primary limitation.  When it gets too much like work (the pull in slo rat) or the model is too fast for the once a month pilot, the pilots drop out.

It is the same problem faced by F2C today, there are way more mechanics than pilots.  And that was true when I first got interested in 1975.  There were 4 F2C mechanics (or mechanic wantabees) in Denver and and one F2C pilot back then.  Unfortunately the pilot and one of the mechanics moved to New Mexico about that time.  I didn't find a local pilot I could work with until my son decided he wanted to fly.  Maybe that statement should be I didn't find a pilot that could work with me until my son started flying.  Either way, I didn't get serious about the event until I had a pilot.

Like I said earlier in this thread, you have to make it work at the local level.  If that means additional controls or rules, then that is what it takes!

Dave

You are very lucky in that you and Charley work so well together.  JJ at this point in his life has a hard time finding time to practice.  Right now it seems I will have 3 or 4 youngsters for mouse racing in Topeka this year.  Now do you  think putting a speed limit on B-Team race would help?  I know in some parts of the country it has helped bring combat into being again.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »
Hi Doc,

I don't know why it worked out the way it did, but Charlie and I are very lucky that we can work together as a father and son team.  We can even share the same workshop.

Yes, practice time has become an issue.  Well, that and the weather.  Charlie had a couple folks leave his store so he is busier that a one-armed wallpaper hanger getting new folks hired and trained.  I've been on the road about 50% so far this year and it is going to increase.  If the timing works out, we may take a weekend and go to Tucson or LA (cheap airfares required) just to practice with our F2C models.

Great to hear the kids are having fun with the mouse racers.  Did you solve your speed button bellcrank for those models?  If not, I use 3-48 or 4-40 blind nuts with the tabs removed and the shank shortened.  If you would like I'll send you pictures of my solution.

I'm not sure the speed is the problem with the B-TRs.  In my case, it is the time to build and debug.  Of course, it might be that I think the model needs to be more complex than is required.  I have a copy of the plans for Don Burke's Nemisis.  It is a neat model and pretty in the air.  The Barton B model looks great too.  I've got a couple of good engines for the event, so that isn't the issue. 

I've helped several folks over the last couple of years with their B-TR models at the Nats.  Most of the models I've had in my hands seemed to require special knowledge on the part of the pitman to successfully pit the model. The shutoff and fill mechanisms seem to be the most prone to rather interesting implementations.  The other thing I've noticed is that the B-TR models seem to be very sensitive to the tank position.

Actually, everything I just said also applies to 15 Rat, including my own.

Most of this stuff would get worked out if we raced more often.  I have observed that there is a whole set of mistakes I never make during practice that crops up when I'm in the middle of a race.  Our trips to LA and racing with the folks at Whittier has helped us a bunch in finding those types of mistakes and getting rid of them.

So may be the real solution is more races, regardless of class or event.

later,

Dave

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Ended at $203.50!  OUCH! ;D

More than list price --- Henry should have sold on eBay.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »
I like Clown as it is. 

One good way to keep it "as is" to simply mandate 10/20/70 fuel, for all engines, effectively excluding Diesels.

Considering the F2d change that mandates mufflers and gives an advantage to very light engines, there is  a whole world of Nelson, Cox, Rossi, and SuperTigre F2d engines of pre-1990 vintae, looking for a home.

Paul Smith

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 03:29:16 PM »
Hi Scott

The engine Randy is talking about is an O.S. .18 car engine modified for Aero use. In my conversation with Vic, he claims 18.2/7 with 42 laps range.

Not too shabby!

Les

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »
Paul,

If you outlaw Diesel engines then the event isn't just "as it is".  You've changed it and likely ticked off those that like the diesels.

BTW, I don't have a diesel for Clown.

Dave

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 09:44:55 AM »
I thought that leveling the playing field with diesels could be done by reducing the tank size for diesel powered airplanes.  But again last year no one wanted to do that either.  And of course, that's a change.  And by the way, I don't believe in locking the barn AFTER the horse is stolen!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 01:21:58 PM »
Paul,

If you outlaw Diesel engines then the event isn't just "as it is".  You've changed it and likely ticked off those that like the diesels.

BTW, I don't have a diesel for Clown.

Dave

It's sort of a preemptive thing. 

There aren't many diesel  Clowns now, so if we disallow 'em before anybody invests, then nobody's out any time or money.   This thing is, F2c allowed either glow or diesel, and the diesels exterminated the glows, and only 4 or 5 teams fly the event.   So my opinion is, if you want diesel 15 racing, fly F2c and get on the team, and leave Clown as sport race event for glows.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
The last Nats I saw a F2C engine used on a Clown Racer was 2005.  My approach to managing the diesels (banniing integral fin liners) only affects one person that I know of AND I believe that individual has already switched to a F2D engine on his Clown Racer.

I don't know how many folks use a diesel on a Clown Racer, but I have seen several used over the last couple of years.  So banning all diesels will affect several more folks.

Actually, an unshrouded diesel probably isn't the issue everyone thinks it is because you can't control the heat very well.  However, there is a method of heat control that doesn't involve a shroud that the F2CN folks are playing with that will change that statement.

My approach is to apply the minimum change to address the issue.  Banning integral fin liner engines stops the current style of F2C engines being used.  It has the advantage over Don's idea of a smaller tank for diesels of being verifiable by inspection as opposed to being verified by measurement.

I think you are going to find that the .18 car enginies and the F2D engines with a different venturi are going to rise to the top of the heap faster than any of the diesel powered models.

Since the NCLRA controls the event at the national level, you need to make your change request to them.  Likely it is already too late for 2007, but you can always try.

Try http://www.nclra.org

I do wholeheartly agree with Don, closing the door after the horse is gone is a waste of time and will just cause hard feelings.  It is better to be proactive.

Oh, and I already race F2C.  I time and lap count for those that fly Clown Race.

Dave

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »
Dave,

I have run Nelson diesels in my Clown at various times.  Very promising results.  I do however don't like the stinky fuel and have lately stuck to glows.  "Said I didn't care for them, didn't say I didn't know how to use one!", Quigley Down Under.

And I time and lap count for those who fly F2C, more power to'em!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 04:50:18 PM »
Don,

I remember the line from the movie.  Nice quote.

BTW, those of us that are trying to fly F2C really appreciate the folks that come out and help!

later,

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here