News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clown Race Rules for the 2008 Brodak have been posted....  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clown Race Rules for the 2008 Brodak have been posted....
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:18:09 AM »
....and it's a WHOLE NEW EVENT !!!! 
Did you have advance knowledge of this and lay in some LA 15's ?   If not, you're OUT !

Clown Racing was held at The Brodak in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007, with entry numbers of 9, 11, 9, and 14.  Not huge, but OK by racing standards, and a positive trend.  In June of 2007 there was talk of changing from "any side exhaust engine, .19 or less" to OS LA 15CL only.
At the time nobody was using the OS, so it meant that everybody would need to buy new engines to continue flying the event.   That was bad enough, but for $75 you could just buy one from Tower and get on with it.

Of course everybody knows that OS has discontinued the engine.  There has been some indication that the RC version might return in the future, but I'll believe that when and if I see it.  I had expected and hoped that the people who drempt up this change would realize that their "engine of choice" had ceased to exist.  Not a matter of making a "wrong decision", just a case of livinng in the real world as it has become.

Are the authors of this change on this forum?  How about the people who flew the event?

This is not a matter of threatening to quit if things don't go my way.  As it sits now, I couldn't get legal even if I was willing to cough up the $75.  I really don't want to try to compete in a racing event by buying up engines off eBay and hoping one will go.  I suspect that at some point downstream, the masters will see the error of their ways and rescind the change, thereby screwing those few who tried to get legal.

Another case of fixing an unbroken event.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:58:41 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Riegl

• Ensign
Re: Clown Race Rules for the 2008 Brodak have been posted....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:03 AM »
 8) Not to stir the pot  S?P but merely as a comment----when you are the biggest dog on the street, you call the shots. The 6 P's (Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents, Poor, Performance) or better than that is "Plan Ahead or for One". While I have never flown at Brodak and do not plan to it's there ball game and they can call it the way they want, they are the biggest dog on the street in c/l flying today. When I saw a Blue & Yellow Clown in the Carrier event, that settled it with me. This engine requirement is absolutely ridiculous, based upon the fact of the discontinuance of the OS.15LA, so just remove the OS requirement and open it to another available engine. This is the current paranoia to "level the playing field," no matter what. I can see banning certain .15 engines as they would overpower the rest of the field, but there is a good selection out there. We have some Clown racers that use the OS .18 car series engines that mop up the field running 170+ laps in 7' 30". That's overpowering but all within the current rules---after all it is racing.  D>K
FLY
C

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
Their event and their rules.   I do not see why the requiring an engine that is obsolete as far as some people think.  I see them all the time on the bay.  As the saying goes if you can't beat them, change the rules.  Big Goodyear(used to be Shoestring Racing) is one that comes to mind.  It required Fox Stunt 35 engines and a scale looking profile.  When flown three up it is a crowd pleaser.  Even better with four up.  So somebody comes up with Foxy Racing.  Slow rats with Fox Stunt 35 for power.  The few people don't want to take time to practice and learn how to start the engine and come up with another engine to fly the event.  I do have two of the Brodak planes that were in a way designed for Foxy racing.  They just don't look as good a well finished Shoestring or Buster or the other Goldberg kit.  I have not built for the Clown racing event yet as getting enough people to practice with is like the other racing events.  Even Mouse I is down to maybe 6 entries at a local contest.  What with the custom built reed valve engines.  What with the price of the Cox engines going thru the roof it is going to get worse.   Maybe I may make a proposal to go with the Brodak .049 with separate tank and specify only one prop for use.  I don't like the idea of shrinking venturis to slow an event as I have not seen the TQR's going much slower.  I would have specified a certain prop unmodified except for balancing.  Anyway back to the Redskin for B-Team Race,  may not be the fastest, but, it will be fun.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »
I searched The Bay and found ZERO LA 15's offered.   It's modern engine that wasn't on the market all that long.  This is not a Fox 35 or a G21 we're calling for here.

I heard the promoters talking about this at Carmichaels in June, well before the engine was discontinued.  It was a bad idea then, but now it's turned into a disaster.

Mr. Brodak deligates these events to people and clubs. He is not personally involved down to this level.  I do not intend to bother him with this business, but I hope the guys who "own" the event rethink their position vis-a-vis current reality.
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:55:42 AM »
I posted this in the "Open Forum" but thought it would be helpful here too.  The 15LA idea sounds like a good one to me.

For those interested.
From Tower Hobbies:
To get an LA15 then convert to CL retaining the Rear NVA
LXPUD9 OS LA15 $59.99
LXCW98 VENTURI 5.79
LSMU31 NOZZLE 5.79
-----
$71.57

Or if one wants the front NVA.
Engine, rear cover, and front needle valve.
LXPUD9 OS LA15 $59.99
LXCW98 VENTURI 5.79
LXCR47 Neeedle valve assy 11.49
LXCF83 Rear Cover 15FP/S 3.39
LXCM44 Gasket set 15 FP/S 2.79
-----
$77.66

Or if you get every thing to do either: $89.24

Tower is also currently offering free shipping on orders over $50.
code no. 595KZ.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bob Riegl

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
 S?P I guess that lets me out with a Novarossi Turbo---oh well----but that idea with the OS.15LA doesn't sound like a bad deal at all--- D>K
FLY
C

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here