News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Berkeley Quest cowling  (Read 881 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Berkeley Quest cowling
« on: July 18, 2023, 09:20:35 AM »
Has anyone pulled a mold off of the original Berkeley Quest metal cowling? I'd like to get a fiberglass copy. Alternately, if anyone could loan me an original cowl, I'd make the mold myself.

Bill Bischoff

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Berkeley Quest cowling
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 04:48:33 PM »
Bill,

I don't have a mold, but I have an unmolested kit cowling. It comes as a left and right half in plated steel. I could box it up and send it your direction if you can't find someone with a mold. The shape is pretty straightforward: flat sides (with louvers), full radius along the bottom, etc. It has a joggle along the seam so you can lap-solder it.

Or, if you are not in a hurry, I might be able to chop out a male mold using some basswood or the like. But you wouldn't have the opportunity to finesse the shape unless you wanted to fool with the mold some more.

Lemme know,

Dave

PS--Our "local" hobby shop has a few plaster molds for sale. One was for a full cowling. Not sure what it fit. The box (consignment?) had 6-8 different molds for cowls, canopies, ejector exhaust panels, etc. All "scaley looking" stuff

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Berkeley Quest cowling
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 10:22:51 AM »
Thanks Dave. I'm still in the exploratory stages. If I need to borrow your cowling, I can just get it from you at the Virgil Wilbur contest.

Bill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here