Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Rat Racing and Team Racing

B Team Racer

<< < (2/9) > >>

Paul Smith:
1964 was the last year that AMA carried the event.  So a true old time event would use those rules.

OK, so if everybody is using the Dayton rules, then the model is unusable and the issue is closed.

If "everybody" is using the Dayton rules, why have an obsolete set still in the NCLRA web site? 

Bob Heywood:
AMA Team Race was retired because Rat Race became very popular. It was a simple matter of people voting with their feet. Had we just started using those rules again we could have ended up with modern .29s going really fast. That was a non-starter.

Your model is not completely unusable if you care to fit a different engine. It looks like a nice plane so why not give it a try? Our aim is to have a racer that runs about 100 - 105 mph. We have no expectations that a whole bunch of people will try this so there should be plenty of decent engines to supply the field.

As far as having both sets of "Vintage" rules, I guess it just seemed to be an easier way to get to our goal.

C.T. Schaefer:
Paul,  My own experience with this has found that the Enya .29 can be a good starting point.  My efforts last year focused on the Fox .29 engines.  I  went to ebay and found a few to work with at reasonable prices. Not sure about Bob's goal of 100-105 but there is a good selection of 29 motors out there that will give good handling, good speed and good economy with some homework.  Plane looks good.   The plane I flew this year started life in 1980 with a  Mk lV Fox. Good combo. For the 2003 Nats it was refitted with a Nova Rossi .20. Good combo.  This years Nats she sported a 1958 Fox .29X. Good combo although the motor mounts are looking a bit swiss cheesy!  It is a real fun event. The planes look cool in the air!   Go for it.   TS

Paul Smith:
I was active when Rat replaced B Team Race.  There were two main reasons:

1. The AMA B Team Race rules were too complicated for people, even top experts, to comply with.
2. There was an abundance of 40's on the market, but few .29's.

The 29 shortage has only gotten worse.  With 36's in combat and 40's in rat and carrier, there was no incentive to build a racing 29. 

A team of the Top Gun winners from our area tried to make a B Team Racer and it failed.  Having seen the guys who dominated stunt & carrier fail, it turned everybody else to Rat.  We had 24 entries in the first Rat race and there were never two guys with working B Team Racers to put up a heat.

The current rules clearly favor the few people who have the technology (and the will) to make new parts for 1960 engines. 
A lot of guys could get into B TR with the abundance of new 25's if the actual pre-1964 rules were used.

Bottom line:  Thanks for the advice before I spent any more time on a losing battle.

bob whitney:
the original Rat rules had a 40 top limits but there was none on the market .35's were used for a couple of years before the first K&B,fox and S/T 40s came out .
  i had one of the first 40s when i put a green head 45 P/L on a green head 35 by boring out the case .it ran great until it blow the cylinder off on the 6th flight and i never found it and never followed up on it.
 there is a small group flying BTR at the moment (and i mean small), they have accepted the use of baffled 29's .by opening BTR back up to flat top 25's,28.s aor 29,s we will loose what we have now to gain one or 2 more entrys  ,i dont think it is worth it RAD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version