Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Rat Racing and Team Racing

B Team Racer

<< < (9/9)

Dave Hull:
Here's one of my "work in progress" B-TRs.  Haven't done anything to it lately, but having a little conversation going here might put some extra "round 'tuits" in play...?

This one started as a Dick Ealy Firecracker. It is a semi-scaler, with a plans date of 1951. I changed a few of the construction methods to things that have worked better for me. I believe I also shortened the fuselage a bit, but I'd have to go verify that. I was pleased with how it was turning out--that's not why the project fell to the wayside. It was just that I had too many other projects--not all modeling--that took priority. But, now may be the time to finish some of these up. Starting with the Veco job.

The picture might be a bit confusing the way the parts are laid out. The long block with internal pocketing is the removable top (even though positioned in the photo like it belongs on the bottom), and the stacked layers of balsa on the top in the picture are actually the bottom of the cowling, which will be permanently attached. I made the cowl out of stacked layers because that opened up a bunch of options in terms of cooling air passages and clearances. Much more like an F2C plane than a vintage B-TR. Since it hasn't flown yet, there is no proof yet on whether that is a good approach. But, it is easy to make very accurately and perhaps a plus if you have trouble getting your hands on a nice-sized block. For the dedicated whittlers out there, you probably will get more fun per dollar using the block....

The Divot

C.T. Schaefer:
This has been an active thread which makes me reiterate that there are always a few worthy .29's on ebay.  Right now there is a new Fox and a new Enya. Either one of these can power a fun and competitive TR.  The thought that people would have custom P/L sets made is a bit silly.  There just is no market to support such a course.  As I pointed out in a previous post,  the plane Al and I flew at the Nats  last year has had 4 different engines in it over it's 40 year+ lifespan.   TS
    PS   Dave, Cool looking plane!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version