News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone spoken to Dave Shrum?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Anyone spoken to Dave Shrum?
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
I have emailed Dave Shrum (Oregon) twice, but no reply. Misplaced his phone number. His wife Peggy has been ill, and I'm very concerned. Please respond, anyone? Thanks.
Mike

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Anyone spoken to Dave Shrum?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »
Hi
I've been in touch with Dave within last 10 days - we have exchanged emails - send me your contact info and I will fwd it to him.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Hi
I've been in touch with Dave within last 10 days - we have exchanged emails - send me your contact info and I will fwd it to him.
Lyle

Thank you, Lyle.
Mike

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:05:40 AM »
Willis,
         Thank you, the plane arrived yesterday. I think that we can make it into a kit that can be used as a "Goodyear", "Mouse I", "Mouse II" and "Proto". What do you think? Remember We are not making serious competition models, just fun planes.
Thanks
Larry  H^^

Willis Swindell

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Larry
Sounds like a lot of fun to me. looking forward to the finished product.
There is also a story to go along with the mailing of the plane.  I brought the plane in to our local packaging Co. to get it packaged  and mailed. The guy there said he use to fly control line when he was a kid walked into the back room and came out with a Brown Jr. 60. Small world.
Willis y1

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
 Hi, I had a very nice conversation with Dave this evening, what a neat guy. I ordered 2 kits, he has been building as long as I have. I built my first Ringmaster in 1952. I wish there were more of him out there.

Walter H^^
walter menges

Offline Dave Shrum

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:18:47 PM »
Dave Shrum here, MMM, found out I have been talked about on this site--Hello every one!!! OK, Mike L. did get hold me and yes my 1st wife of 46 years, Peggy, is doing very well after major brain tumor operation last June 12th.
Yes, Had a very nice conversation with Walter M. this evening about the B Team race kits I make up (limited production).  I have 2 kits of the Able Mable and 8 kits of the Veco "Redskin" (left)-Thanks to Mike L. for sending the patterns.  I am working on the "Scrambler" by Les McBrayer right now.  Will also have engines  in near future as soon as I get the venturies cut.  I build these kits as they would have been in that era.  I do not try to bring them into the 21st century racing.  I am promoting B  team racing as a "classic" event instead of a full blown, find the hottest engine race. Find a good engine, get out there in the circle and have FUN !!!!
Thanks, Dave Shrum
Dave Shrum

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
This is why I would like to see a speed limit.  Instead of venturis, control it with the prop.  Still rrequire 10% nitro fuel.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
To control it properly, you would have to do both.

Truthfully now, how many others would enter and fly the event if it was slower? It's easy enough to do if people are serious about it. Is anybody serious?

Les

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

Truthfully now, how many others would enter and fly the event if it was slower? It's easy enough to do if people are serious about it. Is anybody serious

I think there are more people than you think, that are serious about it, but there will always be  that one or two people that want to win at all costs. I'm perfectly happy flying at 85+mph, 3 up,relying
on hot starts, etc, having fun. I've won my share of trophy's, that's not really important now to a lot of people.

Walter H^^
walter menges

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Look at speed limit combat how it has made combat come alive.  Of course like anything it takes people to make it work.  How many would be interested in a dual meet.  One class in which planes would be limited on speed and then a class for the all out competitors?  A team can enter two airplanes, but, only in one event.  Seems most of the racers are in the California area now.  Only place I can think of doing it myself is in Wichita Kansas as right now the circle in Topeka is looking doubtful.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
Speed limited combat works because speed is only a part of the event.  While speed is only part of racing, the real path to hold the performance down to the levels being discussed is to drop the available power possible in the setup. 

First, go to a standard fuel. 

Second, limit the amount of fuel.

Third, limit the fuel delivery system.  No pressure fuel systems (crankcase, bladder, or pump).

Fourth, limit the engine.  My recommendation is drop the displacement to a .15 size engine.  Should be easy to try with an aluminum adapter plate that would allow someone to bolt in a .15 in place of the .29 engine.

Dave

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »
 Let's agree to not,I have some really excellant McCoy .29 sandcast RR, which I intend to put in the  2 team racers. These will fly at the 85+mph, and be a lot of fun, that's what I'm after.

Walter S?P
walter menges

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »
I'm not the best person to continue in this discussion.  My son and I fly mostly unlimited racing events.  F2C, Mouse 1, and Mouse 2.  That is fun for us.  And no, it isn't about winning.  Our record proves that.  It is about having fun and racing.  The only "limited" event we fly is Topeka/Wichita Class 2 Goodyear.  We are considering adding TQR this year.

If the goal is to race authentic, vintage B Team Racers, then a speed limit is likely the best approach.  Forget controlling props, venturis, and even fuel.  Have the CD catch one or more times during the race and DQ or add laps or add time for anyone going faster than the limit.  Other than the increased workload during the race for the CD, it makes it easy to comply with the limit.  It would also allow modern B Team Racers to run in your event.  Simply detune to the speed limit.

Dave

Offline Dave Shrum

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »
WOW, this is wonderful to see this "discussion" going on the the B team racing. As a kit producer and promoter this is good.  OK, this is "real life".  At our contest in 2007 (our 1st) for Team racing we had three entries--two FAST planes and mine in the 87 mph.  This was my very first time in B Team and I was very excited.  Granted I did not do that well, but I HAD FUN.  It was not that much of a problem for the other flyers to fly over me and continue racing.  The point I am getting at is IF entry is in the "nostalgia" class and the others in the unlimited class--that comes out 1st and 2nd in unlimited and 1st place in nostalgia.  I did not really care that much-- I was there to experience an event that I missed in the 50's !!!!!  Again, thank all of you for expressing your ideas in this matter, it is appreciated very much--keep it up !!!
Dave Shrum, Roseburg, Or. #^ #^
Dave Shrum

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
If you have enough entries, it is relatively simple to seed the models by speed.

Obviously if there are enough entries the contest runs 2 classes.

The problem is the situation where everything gets thrown in to the same races.  A vast difference is speed actually makes the slower pilot work much harder.  It slows down the fast model some, but the slow model's pilot generally finds himself getting pushed to the outside and running to try to stay in the center.  Believe it or not, the safest way to fly the slower model is to stand up straight and stay in the center with the faster pilots.  Don't try to stay out of their way.  Don't bend over trying to make it easier on the other pilots.  Otherwise you'll find yourself out in the boonies wondering where the center is.  Put your model about 6 feet off the ground and fly.  But stay in the center with the other pilots and stand tall.  They will be able to pass you without you doing anything to make it easier.  It will be easier on everyone (especially you) and you will enjoy the race more.

BTW, some pilots like to take a step back when they pass.  This moves the center of rotation back and to your left after they pass.  If you are flying with someone that uses that technique, simply move back and slightly left with them when they pass.  That way you don't end up out of position and running to try and get back where you should be with respect to the other pilots.

Enjoy!

Dave

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
Dave, you did just fine in your first "B" team race at last years Regionals. If I remember correctly, you had a bit of carnage, but hey, that's racing. It would have been nice to have all the airplanes around the same speed, but truthfully, I considered us lucky to actually have 3 entries get into the air.

"B" tr seems to be an all out affair right now, but there's no reason we couldn't knock the speed down to something more reasonable, so that it may attract more Regionals competitors in this event. Sort of a NWBTR event.

One thing I wouldn't do is advocate the use of only using engines from the past. While many were/are fine, they are just too difficult to get in many cases, and truthfully, todays CNC manufatured marvels are much better, and last longer. Probably cheaper too.

Having raced O.S. LA 25's in the SSR event, I know that with a stock venturi and front mounted needle valve that this engine would be a very good match for a slower B tr model. Airspeed would be right around 85mph, and they get good range.

If I don't have time to build a new model for the Regionals, then at least I'll drop in a motor more suitable to a freindlier pace.

Les

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »
Glad too that people are responding to this.  Planes that look like planes with pilots.  As Dave says the pilot needs to stay in the middle even if he is slower.  Got to meet Dankar and am anxious to get home and see the plane/engine I got off of him.  Me and my memory I have met him in the past and he is a great gentleman.  As far as pitting I think us older folk can pit, it's just we need some pilots.  Thought I had three new pilots after Denver one year.  Maybe yet when they get tired of sports.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
Now if the race is set at the time for 85 MPH , and say a minute for stops ,
The WINNER is the team CLOSEST to the 85 MPH average.rather than the
chap doing warp factor eight . (Captain ).                                                   ? ? ? ?  .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here