News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ambird Sportsman  (Read 687 times)

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Ambird Sportsman
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
    I am going through some of my assortment of C/L things and I came across this kit.    It's an old Ambroid kit called the Ambird Sportsman.  The box indicates up to a .35 engine but I can't imagine a .35 in that little plane.  I just wondered if this was a team racer type model or just a neat looking little plane ???

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Ambird Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »
I remember that plane from ads of The Day.   Like many of Ambroid's kits, it was a reissue of an old Consolidated design from prehistoric times.

It must have been designed when engines were weak, because, as you suggest, a heathly 35 would make it pretty fast.  Today, an 09 to 15 would be more realistic.

Ambroid took over Consolidated and issued some new kits (like the Stuka and Scrapper), but also a lot of old Consolidated stuff in nice, new boxes with snappy art work.  Unfortuantely the Consolidated products consisted of low grade wood with terrible die cutting and designs that didn't fit into any event.  AHC typically discounted these kits to $1.95 and threw in some extras to try and move 'em.

Ambroid reboxed them with great new decals.  Maybe with today's materials, etc, modelers will be able to make some nice reproductions of these designs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:27:21 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here