News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple more Shoestring shots...  (Read 2968 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
A couple more Shoestring shots...
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:21:11 PM »
Nifty stuff...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: A couple more Shoestring shots...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »
Oh MAN! That is so ultimately cool!
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 08:46:55 AM »
I would probably get some Brodak "Rejuvenator" and spray it on the plane to return the elasticity to the silkspan.  I *think* I have the kit plans somewhere...........

Bill <>< 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
Bill,

I've wondered about the rejuvenator many times before. Does that stuff really work? What is it like and how do you use it?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
Bill,

I've wondered about the rejuvenator many times before. Does that stuff really work? What is it like and how do you use it?

Hi Wayne,

It has worked for me.  It is clear, and little thicker than stright thinner, and I spray it on.  I can't remember just what is in it, but Randolph's has been making it for a long time, IIRC.  Randolph's was making John's dope at first, I think he is buying the chamicals and making it himself, now.  ??? ???

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:57:28 AM »
Bill,
Please forgive me for the late response. I broke up a bad dogfight last night and broke a finger on my right hand in the process my typing skills have diminished to a single finger.
That definitely is a nice plane and with a little work it would make a superb B team racer. I would love to get a copy of the original plans for future use. As soon as I get the use of my right hand back I could transfer those plans to a CAD format for all to use.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »
If the CD plans come thru let me know as that is one of the prettiest pylon designs ever done.  Of course my favorite was the Swea Pea.  I loved the V tail.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 02:58:39 PM »
I have the Berkeley Swee Pea, Doc. It is a cool little model. I want to build it with a Torp 29R, thought it would be neat for a bit of nostalgia.
Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
Chris, are the plans full size with the parts?  I think it would be great for B-Team Race.  Being as it is a scale plane i don't beleive the engine has to be completely enclosed.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:34:39 AM »
That is true I think about the engine, but it must lay in the cheek cowls I think, a sidewinder. The plans are full size, I think. It has been two years since I have seen this stuff. I'll have a look.

Chris...

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
Doc,

" Being as it is a scale plane i don't beleive the engine has to be completely enclosed."

If you are building to the NCLRA rules the motor does have to be enclosed.  n1

http://www.nclra.org/Rules/B-TR/index.html

But do not let that stop you from building one.  #^

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
Looks like if I get a set of plans, the cheek cowl will have to be enlarged.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 12:25:51 PM »
John,
I think he means you can mount it in any configuration if the model is scale. Inverted or whatever.
Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
You know of course that if I built them they would be in B-Team Racing.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 01:10:26 AM »
I read this stuff too late at night, I guess.

If the scale model of a Shoestring, SweePea or Minnow must be modified to compete with total fantasy racers that would be a shame. But that is how I read it.

I guess that enlarging the cheek cowls to meet the requirement to get a model airplane engine's cylinder inside of it, and then matching that on the other side is the rule, John.
Too bad, but I guess it'd still look "way cool".

Chris...

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:42 AM »
Chris,
Go back and read the rules again and use your imagination, I just looked at the pictures again and surmised that the engine could be mounted inverted and be enclosed with little change to the outline of the fuselage. The fantasy racers you refer to were the brainchilds of the guys who started Team race to begin with. There is a lot of leeway in the rules, the purpose is to have planes that look like airplanes of that era and not the aerodynamic shapes used today in F2C.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 10:34:04 PM »
Could be Scott, but the engine in the model in this thread is a .19.  The increase in size of the cheeks wouldn't be too bad looking. But the mod to invert the engine would make for a full belly, I think.

I'm not so sure about the chicken or the egg statement you made, the Berkeley kits I have specifically state on the box that they are for Team Race and the Swee Pea is a 1948 kit. Maybe the scale and event specific racers were designed in parallel. Besides, I like a lot of the designs, one of my favorites is the Veco Redskin. The present day event is trying to make the models look like real airplanes and that is a worthwhile goal to be sure.

Chris...

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
>>Could be Scott, but the engine in the model in this thread is a .19.  The increase in size of >>the cheeks wouldn't be too bad looking. But the mod to invert the engine would make for >>a full belly, I think.

Right on, Chris. Most 'scale B Team Racers' (the ones running .29s, anyway) look like Scale race planes with the mumps. (The British Tempest is the only one with original chin lines that can hide an engine of that size, and not appear 'face-heavy'.)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
After rereading this post again, I think I would build it as close to scale as possible even if the engine was partially out in the open.  If I couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to race it, would still be fun to fly.  Need to get back on the Red Skin.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »
Dave Dawson entered a nearly scale "Pete" in B-Team Race at this year's Cabin Fever contest. Open cockpit, pilot with scarf, struts on the landing gear, scale exhaust stacks and all. It wasn't the fastest, but when I test flew it in the wind it didn't give any trouble, so we went ahead and entered. After the third entry withdrew for mechanical reasons midway thru the race, and the first plane finished his laps, the Pete rolled in for its last pitstop. Refueled, it blew up when the battery was applied, and then partially burned. A sad end for a scale racer...but in it's racing career it flew one race and achieved one second place finish. I've built less successful planes.

Flying scale racing planes just adds to the fun. Try it!

Dave "McSlow" Hull
Pilot, Double D Racing Team
So Cal Air Racers

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
What a story!
Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »
That is a great story.  Wouldn't it be great to get scale into racing.  Wichita's Shoestring racing was close and had strict rules.  Foxy racing makes me think of detuned slow rats.  I would go for a Shoestring or SweaPea for racing.  No fast fills or hot gloves.  Now is he going to refinish the plane?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here