News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2007 Beanfield Grand Prix, June 23, in a private venue somewhere near Dresden.  (Read 751 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thanks again to Brad LaPointe and Liz for inviting the modelers of the world to their beautiful two-circle sport complex.

LA 25 Sport Race was run Saturday afternoon between Speed Limit Combat and modeling's best barbeque.  The five races were all run very professionally and cleanly by Dave Lovgren (of F2d fame), who worked from the centre, in the style of Mack Henry.   The whole operation came off in about an hour of clock time. 

The use of a centre marshall in racing makes good sense.  Dave was in a good position to watch pilot conduct and make instant corrections before things got out of hand.  Very effective!

Current rules are what I call "BBSRLA", or Balsa Beavers (Fox) Sport Racers (converted to) LA 25.  2007 is a transition year, after which the old (more streamlined) 300 sqin racers are to be changed over to bigger Sport Plane designs (like the Brodak menu). 

70 Laps with One Pit Stop,
3 best single scores advance to the Finale

Steve Stefanovich, pilot-Peter Hansen, BBSRLA,  6;23 and 5:01
John Brzys, pilot - Ed Brzys, VIKO combat wing w/fuse 5:19, 5:19
Brad LaPoint, pilot Stu Henderson, Goldberg Buster, 4:26
Pat MacKenzie, AFR Streak, 5:07, 5;35
Wayne McDonald, Mongoose III (winner at Rouge May 19), no times, damaged in first heat.
Paul Smith, flown expertly by Ron Colombo, 4;23 BBFRLA, and 4;38 Brodak Lightning Streak.

I'm ready for the new rules. I tried both setups as a test.  For me, the change was 15-second hit.  Brad's time was the best under the (projected) 2008 rules.

Final - 140 Laps with Three Pit Stops

Smith/Colombo  8;57
Stefanovich/Hansen 9;54
LaPointe/Hendersen 10;05

With the airframe designs, engine, fuel, and props equalized, pilotage has become a major issue.   The "secret of my success" is Ron Colombo.  The way Ron nails the pit stops is good for 20-30 seconds per stop, compared to more conservative flyers.   

Note:
The first two pictures were taken at the field.  The last four are file photos of the equipment. 

Note 2: 
If you're coming from this planet, it's too late set a longest travel distance record.  New Zealanders have already been there twice.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here