News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:47:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ukey Build Part 3  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Tom Dugan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ukey Build Part 3
« on: June 03, 2006, 12:06:09 PM »
5.  To align the wings and fuselage the blocks the wings are cut from are used.   My wife was out of town so I decided to live dangerously and built the Ukey on the dining room table.  I even had my favorite cigar.  If she sees this I'm a dead man.

6.  The last picture is the engine and tank I will use.  I have to tell you that there isn't much room for a tank.  Im sure a notch could be cut out of the outboard wing for a larger tank.  Im using a Brodak BH-596 Standard vent tank which fits nicely.

The only part I changed on the kit was the belcrank.  I did this based on what Ive read in other posts.  Those posts suggested that the metal crank wore out quickly.  I had an extra one so I changed it.

The Ukey took no time at all to build and was very easy.  The wing appears to be cut well.  The covering and paint are also very good quality.  If it flys as well as Im told then it will be time and money well spent. 

The one fact that suprises me is that this plane is not really well known, or readily available.  I think the 40 or one of the variations could easily become a standard basic trainer.  Jim Pearson has a great plane in the Ukey.

All I have left to do is go fly.  I hoped to do it today but it's raining here in NC, so I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I hope this series of posts will be of help to others in the future.

Regards...Thomas
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 12:27:23 PM by TJDNC »

Offline brucefinley

• Lieutenant
Re: Ukey Build Part 3
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:57:18 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!  Very nice!

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 02:37:55 PM »
Thomas : Great job, and don't worry we won't tell your wife ,,honest we won't. y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 **) **) **) **) **) **) **) >:D >:D >:D >:D ;D ;D ;D f~ j1 j1 j1 j1 j1 j1 j1
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »
Thanks Lee...I knew I could count on you. y1

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:36:11 AM »
They DO fly well.

I'm pretty sure that on a good day, I could put up a 500 pt flight with one.

There are chronicles of Paul Walker picking one up at a contest out west and, without ever flying one, putting up an official 535 or something like that--amazing.

They aren't pretty but very functional.

Once you get comfortable with it, fiddle with a little ballast on the turbulent days, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Curt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:35:54 AM »
Thanks for the post and the pictures.  Makes me want to order one of them for the grandaughter to learn more on.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:18:46 AM »
Hi Thomas

Now, there are no excuses!  **)

We can burn some fuel.  y1

Bring it on!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
I have one each of the U-Key 15, 35 and 40 variants from the original JJ production efforts.

Please note the 15 is no longer offered but flies well on a FP 15 or Norvel BigMig 15 (they are interchangeable).

Shown here (L-R) are the 40, 35 and 15.  Span is about the same on each but each larger size has increased chord (lower aspect ratio).

We power the 15 with a Norvel BigMig 15, the 35 has a Fox 35 and the 40 uses an FP 25.

Airfoil is relatively thin so they do fly a bit fast but are very smooth and stable.  My son reports the U-Key 40 flies much like his Sig Primary Force ARF for about half the price.

If you can tolerate ugly, you'll get a lot of flying value from the U-Keys.  We still fly ours quite a bit.  Our 40 ship was accidentally built with some dihedral in it but still flies well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here