News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:32:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tower Hobbies Balsa  (Read 780 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Tower Hobbies Balsa
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »
Well, they (Tower Hobbies) finally broke down my resistance to mail-order balsa with a "$20 off a $50 order" offer--that's a 40% discount, for the math challenged--off prices that were already significantly lower than my LHS. I couldn't resist even though I like to hand-pick my wood.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I said.  Try it and see, I said.  How bad could it be?, I said. 

OK, got the wood.  Plywood looks good, 5 ply, standard aircraft grade, cheap, 40% off of cheap, I'm happy.  Balsa, basically looks good, pretty straight edges, clear grain. 1/16" sheet weighs 7.5#, pretty good.  1/8" sheet, 9#, that's OK, I can use that. 3/32" sheet, 9.3#, ditto. Various sticks, no problem, around 10#, OK for LEs, etc.  1/4" sheet, well, that varies from 12# to 16#, pretty dense I'm afraid. Not sure where I'll be able to use it.

But all in all, for the money, I'm not complaining.  Delivery was accomplished in a timely manner, about a week I think.  Packaged nicely, no damage (I wondered how that would go).  Would I recommend them? Well, not if you're looking for 4-6# wood, no.  Otherwise, sure, general quality is good.  I'm satisfied.

--Ray

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Tower Hobbies Balsa
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:43 PM »
I bought from them twice. Once many years ago I bought a bundle of 1/16"X3"X36" and a like bundle of the 3/23" thickness sheets, The wood was of good quality with no wormholes and was very straight. No warps! As cheap as it was I too was pretty dimayed with the rather high (in my opinion) density of the wood. I still have some of this wood!
The second time I decided to get some sticks and bought a bundle of 1/8" sq 36" length and a mixd bundle that had 1/2", 3/8" down to 3/32" sq. and both of these were very nice. Not as heavy as the first batch but within the 12#-16# range which is average and  normal. Very usable for most things anless you are really trying to trim things down.

I think the wood is OK an I will buy from them again but I prefer to get most of my wood from Lone Star Balsa.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tower Hobbies Balsa
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
just keep in mind that if the airframe weighs 25 oz. with 8 lb. wood, it's going to weigh 50 oz. with 16 lb. wood.  Decent weight stunters really can't use wood over 8 lb. except for very special parts or in very small quantities.  Even for sport flying it makes a huge difference.  An extra 5 or 6 ounces of wood can really kill the performance of something like a Ringmaster.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here