News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Lay OS Max 35-S  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Tom Lay OS Max 35-S
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
Some time back I bought a 35-S from Tom Lay but haven't been able to run it until recently. Finally got the right fuel though (GMA 10/29) and have been breaking it in as per instructions. Had a mis-step at first as it wouldn't run through a complete tank of fuel without loading up and quitting. However, I replaced the glow plug (OS Max A-3) with an RC long style plug and solved that problem. It runs smooth and starts with 1 flip, even for me.
I also want to mention that Tom is a really nice guy to talk to. Some of my friends weren't sure that running all castor fuel was necesary or even a good idea, so I called him to ask about it. After talking I have a much better understanding of why this style engine is much happier without any synthetic oil in the mix.
After I finish my bench runs, it's going to get some easy flights in a Primary Force, then go into a Coyote.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Tom Lay OS Max 35-S
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
Some time back I bought a 35-S from Tom Lay but haven't been able to run it until recently. Finally got the right fuel though (GMA 10/29) and have been breaking it in as per instructions. Had a mis-step at first as it wouldn't run through a complete tank of fuel without loading up and quitting. However, I replaced the glow plug (OS Max A-3) with an RC long style plug and solved that problem. It runs smooth and starts with 1 flip, even for me.
I also want to mention that Tom is a really nice guy to talk to. Some of my friends weren't sure that running all castor fuel was necesary or even a good idea, so I called him to ask about it. After talking I have a much better understanding of why this style engine is much happier without any synthetic oil in the mix.
After I finish my bench runs, it's going to get some easy flights in a Primary Force, then go into a Coyote.

cheers,
Ken

Hi Ken,

You'll love Tom Lay's work.  His engines seem to always start easy and provide plenty of grunt.  I have quite a few engines that I sent to Tom, and they have run flawlessly as long as I follow his directions for the engine.  y1

Those OS Max 35S's ruled stunt for a while.  #^

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here