News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox Stunt 35 Ceramic Liner  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Marvin Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Fox Stunt 35 Ceramic Liner
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
  A new addition to the venerable old Fox Stunt 35  stable of "after market" items by the Fox Mfg  Co is a Ceramic Piston/Liner assembly that also includes the rod wrist pin and Circlips  all preassembled.  I immediately purchased one and put it into an OLD (1952) sample engine.  I ran the engine with the steel/iron  stock setup on the test bench and with my prop/fuel setup it turned 9800 rpm.  I then swapped out the Piston/cylinder assembly and installed the new Ceramic assembly.  on the same engine setup and fuel/prop it then turned 10800 RPM.  both RPM checks were in the HARD Four cycle mode (stunt setting).  5% nitro and 29% castor oil.
  The engine restarted hot very well and had considerably less vibration than the Steel/iron setup.

Oil residue came out clear from the very first turn.
  Bigiron
  OH

I forgot---  On that engine, with the new ceramic setup, the ready to run (less prop) weight checked out at less than 5.7 ounces.

I am going to order some more--- suggested retail price--- $70.00  Part number  35052

marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: Fox Stunt 35 Ceramic Liner
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »
Marvin,
How did you break-in the new assembly?
Steve

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:29:43 AM »
  Steve, I am in the dark on the proper breakin procedure for these.  I put a 10 X 6 Master Airscrew cut down to an 8.5 X 6  and fuel was 5% nitro aith 28% oil of which 5% of it was Klotz.  Ran it rich  (very) for about one minute then leaned it out to a hard four cycle for five minutes and put it in a plane.

Marvin Denny
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »
Would the new lighter piston work O K with a Randy Smith crank? I know the high zoot crank is made to better balance the heavier iron piston.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Would the new lighter piston work O K with a Randy Smith crank? I know the high zoot crank is made to better balance the heavier iron piston.

HI Elwyn

The HZ crank works very well with either of the P|S. Even the new plasma ones. The FOX plasma piston is only 2 grams lighter than the iron one. For breakin, you can just run it in the fastest 4 stroke it will run in and beep in into a 2 cycle every 30 seconds or so for about 5 seconds. There is not a super hard pinch so the engine doesn't need anywhere close to the breaking of the iron piston one. Plus case piston and sleeve have about the same rate of expansion from heat so the new FOX 35 plasma is more stable after it is run a few times.

Regards
Randy

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
I just came back from  Camp Hummel where we installed the new P&L setup into a 50th anniv case. Using stuffer back plate- assembly went together easily w/o any interference due to slightly longer piston skirt length. Everything is buttoned up- looking forward to first fire- but that will have to wait till warmer temps-
Using hemi button head with ST style NV/Sray bar. Only remaining parts that are "original" is the case and crank. Next future upgrade will be Randy's crankshaft. Fuel will be Powermaster 10% with 29% castor and some of Randy's additive.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here