News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dharma silk and dye  (Read 872 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
dharma silk and dye
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:46:43 AM »
As suggested on this forum, I bought some and am giving it a try...

http://www.dharmatrading.com

There offer several weights, 5, 8, 11, and heavier.  I bought some 5 and 8 and also a small sample of 11.

The 5 is the only way to go for wing covering.  The 8 might do for front end or dihedral reinforcement.  You could use the 11 for a tent.  Somebody explained units of measure, but I forgot the story, just get #5.

I also bought a little jar of bright blue dye.

I cut off enough to cover a plane and proceeded to wash off the sizing.  In the absence of instructions, I put the silk in a pail of hot water over night, then rinsed it in the morning.

The dying was simple.  Step One is wait until the wife is safely out of the house.

Boil some water in a tea kettle.  Put the boiling water and a few ounces of vinager in the pail, then sprinkle in some dye crysals, and stir. 

Then put in the silk and stir some more.  I added more boiling water, then dumped out the dye water and rinsed with tap water several times.

I hung it out to dry on some chairs, and to my surprize, the dye was perfectly uniform, first time ever!!!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:05:28 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: dharma silk and dye
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
The next step was to try it on a model.  The subject is a 20-year old Toronto Fox racer that has been converted to LA 25 use.  It has always been a bit heavy, the result of an overzealous desire to tame the Fox vibration and finish races.  Although it never has accelerated all that well, it has out-lived faster planes.  Built like furniture, last like furniture,  (flys like furniture) as they say.

Originally, it was covered in some off-brand transparent blue plastic, which was about double the strenght and weight of Monokote.  Looked good, but I couldn't stand the weight.

The next phase was re-engining to the LA 25, shortening the fuse 2", and recovering with some lightweight silver film.  That got the weight "down" to 27 ounces.  One problem is the film getting soft and wimpy in the sun.

This won't do for the 1400 lap (100 mile) LA Race in Toronto this September.

The next post will show the final product and weight. This process, dying through reassembly will be complete within three days on groundbreaking.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:06:13 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »
Don't expect a beauty queen !!

It's been 100% humidity and drizzle throughout this process.  "Blushing", (humidity trapped in the dope) is the result. 

Randolph recommends "waiting until the humidity is under 50%" as a "cure".  I didn't have the time. The next race is Saturday.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:49:06 PM »
Paul;

Please forgive my ignorance here, but just which kind of their silk did you purchase, I don't know enough to just buy any. The 5.5 that you have seems to be what I need for my big "Ringmaster". I am running out of time to complete this and need to know. Thank-you.

"Billy G"   ???
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:54:56 PM »
All done !!!

Two and a half days from dying the silk to ready-to-fly. 
Five coats of Randolph CAB clear, 2 dope to 1 thinner, brushed on.  I could have done better if I let each coat dry for a day, but time flys and I want to fly, too.

Final weight is 26.6 ounces, a fractional savings for the previous off-brand plastic job.

The silk is of the 5.5 (lightest) weight.  I've seen the same product also listed simply as "5", same-same either way.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:07:21 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
Paul;

Which silk type did you buy, they list twelve varieties under silk fabric. Most can be ignored because of the weight, but there is more than one in 5.5mm? I will just call them tomorrow AM. Thanks.

"Billy G"  HB~>
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »
The first two on the menu,  5 mm "Silk Habotai" in either 36" or 45" width.

I went with 45" x 2 yards, as a test programe.

I bought 45" on the theory that a big piece of material might result in lower scrap losses.  However, the stuff come off a big roll, so you could buy 36" by a mile or 45" by a kilometer, whatever covers your plane.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
Paul;

Thank-you, I am building three large "Ringmasters" the smallest is 68" I need 12 yds. Eric wants $11.00/ yd. Thats a lot different than what you bought.  LOL

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
The dye ---
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:35:17 AM »
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1344-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

That link should get you to the right dye.  I bought #623 Brilliant Blue - that's MY color, you pick something else!

The silk ( HS536) costs only $2.05 per yard in a quantity over 11 yards, thus, your 12 yards will cost you only about $25 (the cost of a one-yard pack from traditional sources).   On the other hand, you could pop about $34 for 12 yards of the 45" wide stuff (HS545), and really be "covered".

The dye is about $4 for a 1/2-ounce jar of crystals, which should last a lifetime.  Buying crystals vs liquid solves a shipping concern.

------------break----break----new subject -----

The next cost hurdle on your big job is the dope & thinner,  Good Luck. 

I buy Randolph from airport supply shops.  If you do a search for "Randolph dope", you will get to their web site which will list about 20 dealers in the US of A, of which one is in Carmichaels, PA.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:30:26 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here