News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DAWN POWER DISOLVER  (Read 793 times)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
DAWN POWER DISOLVER
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
Well, I saw this written up in the Dec. MA so I thought I'd give it a try. I had a twenty year old FP .40 around that had been rebuilt a couple of times that was pretty kruddy. I don't clean a whole bunch of engines so I haven't been willing to invest in a crock pot set up.

First of all I had a hard time finding the DAWN POWER DISOLVER. It is supposed to be carried in the super markets with other DAWN products. Not in Publix, or Sweetbay (Florida) stores. Finally got some at Albertsons. About 3 dollars and change. Cheap, if it works!

Welllllll...Yes it did get most of the burned gunk off after an hour of squirting and soaking and scrubbing with a stiff tooth brush. It did need a second bath to get it all off. It didn't get the burned oil stains off that gather around the exhaust stack and the muffler. It also darkened the cleaner areas of the engine and left some black splotches behind.

If your need is to get caked gunk off your engines, this will work. But if you want to get your engines pretty again, I can't recommend POWER DISOLVER.

>:(
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: DAWN POWER DISOLVER
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »
Nothing beats a good bath in a crockpot filled with anti-freeze. 

1.   Fill crockpot with anti-freeze. (DO NOT EVER USE THIS CROCKPOT FOR COOKING FOOD)

2.  Turn crockport on high heat.

3.  Place engine in crockpot and cook for 12 - 24 hours.  Leave assembled or disassemble, your preference.

4.  Take out clean motor and drain out anti-freeze.  Lubricate the motor well with your choice of after-run oil.  Any light air tool oil is perfect.

5.  DO NOT USE THIS CROCKPOT EVER AGAIN FOR ANY TYPE OF COOKING.  DEATH MAY RESULT IF YOU DO.

The MA article also mentioned Demon Clean.  Demon Clean works well but also discolors the aluminum.  If you want a much cheaper substitute for Demon Clean, use paint stripper.  You know the old fashioned kind that comes in a metal one gallon can.  You can buy a whole gallon cheaper than a small can of Demon Clean.  If you get a chance, take a wiff of both.  Same smell, same stuff. 
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: DAWN POWER DISOLVER
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
In that same article in MA he says "That's because tap water is pH neutral, I think."

Tap water can range from 5pH-12pH.

When he talks about water it's best to turn the page.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here