News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Tender (Great for Field Boxes)  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Battery Tender (Great for Field Boxes)
« on: February 18, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
Saw this demo'd on the Speed Channel TV program a few months ago.  Sounds like it is perfect for automatically maintaining a 12v lead acid battery such as those we use in our field boxes.

They were designed to maintain a full charge on a battery for classic cars and motorcycles which often don't get regular use throughout the year.

Battery Tender Plus for automotive batteries - $59.95
Battery Tender Jr for motorcycle batteries - $39.95

Video of the Speed Channel review is here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1401521284382286480&q=%22Batterytender+on+Speed+TV%22+playable%3Atrue

Link to vendor site: http://batterytender.com/

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Re: Battery Tender (Great for Field Boxes)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:39:12 PM »
Decided to put my $$ where my mouth was and ordered the Battery Tender Plus (1.25A charging rate).  This retails for $59 but I found an online retailer selling brand new units through a well known auction house for $39.95 plus shipping.

At nearly 3 lbs, I was a little surprised by the heftyness of the unit but it is a sturdy powder coated aluminum chassis.  Physical size is 4.88 x 3.25 x 2.88" and comes with 2 quick disconnect leads.

Speaking about leads, the Battery Tender Plus (as well as the Jr model) has a "spark proof" feature where there is ZERO output current until the unit can detect a viable battery has been connected.  Try to touch the leads together with no load on the system and --- nothing!  One set of leads is the familiar spring clamp style and the other set is terminated with eyelets.  The eyelets are intended to be permanently attached to an installed battery as a pigtail setup.  Simply remove the dust cap from the quick disconnect fitting and attach the Battery Tender Plus.

I use a 12v 7.5Ah gell cell for my field box.  Keeping this optimumly charged at any given time is a challenge with standard or automatic trickle chargers.  These smaller lead acid, absorbed glass matt or gel batteries are easily damaged by overcharging.

The Battery Tender Plus utilizes a 4 stage microprocessor controlled charge cycle.

Stage 1 = Qualifying evaluation (insures safety by properly verifying battery status prior to charging).  Accidentally get the leads reversed?  No problem.  Remmember you need a properly connected battery hooked up before the output circuit is energized.

Stage 2 = Bulk charge where the BT+ raises the battery voltage to 14.4 Vdc.

Stage 3 = Absorbtion charge where the BT+ holds the voltage at 14.4 Vdc and forces current to fully charge the battery.  This could take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete.  There is a built in 72 hour timer which will protect a marginal battery from over charging.

Stage 4 - The unit switches to a float charge where it maintains a fully charged battery at 13.2 Vdc.  This is NOT a trickle charge where a constant current is put into the battery.

I took my gel cell which has been sitting unused for the past 3 months.  The Battery Tender Plus displayed a steady red LED meaning a battery was properly detected.  The green LED was flashing which meant the unit determined my gel cell still had 80% of its capacity and "could" be returned to service.  After 3 additional hours on the charger the green LED stopped flashing and showed a steady green.  This meant the battery had completed it's absorbtion charge and now was in it's float charge mode.  It can be left in this mode continuously but Deltran suggests regular inspection to guard against any malfunctions.

The unit has a 10 year warranty.

I've had to replace these motorcycle batteries every couple or three years becaus they are difficult to maintain during the long winter months of non-use (or heavy use during the flying season).  With the Battery Tender Plus, I simply plug it in and leave it until ready to fly.  Then I know it will be available to deliver peak performance.

Offline Kenneth Colbert

• So I'm UGLY get over it! I have lol...
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »
Hmmm bet if I order this my wife will kill me lol.
But it does look to be just what I need for my flight box. ;D
Kenneth Colbert

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
Hey Steve,
 THAT is a great idea! I sell these things at the dealership and didn't even think of using it for the flight box. I stock the Junior for $31.99 and can ship them to anyone interested for $6.00 ground in the U.S. :o
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:20:31 AM »
Have one left over from when I owned a Goldwing, have been using it on my flight box batteries for the last several years, am pretty sure the battery in my main flight box is over 5 years old and still works great thanks to the battery tender.. Great product..

I also have a Harbor Freight version I use on my tractor over the winter months.. Have used it to charge a flight box battery but not sure I would trust it as well as I do the Battery Tender..

Bought my BT when they first came out and were quite a bit higher than they are today, still a good investment. The Harbor Fright version is a whole lot less than even todays price on the BT but would still buy the BT if I could only buy one.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
I went the other route and got 10 C cell nicads.  About the same price.  Hold charge a loooong time and only need a quick overnighter(or a $5 trickle charger) to bring back up to full charge.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here