News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:32:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Flite Streak Survey  (Read 6424 times)

Offline pat king

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
Baby Flite Streak Survey
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
I am looking into kitting the Baby Flite Streak. I am talking about a 21" wingspan, 99 square inch airplane for radial mount engines. The airplane would be for the Babe Bee, Golden Bee, Black Widow, or the Surestart engines. Brodak sells a Baby Flite Streak for beam mount engines, it is a 26 1/4" wingspan, 150 square inch airplane. That is an excellent choice of size for beam mount 1/2A engines if I do say so myself.  LL~
Let me know if you are interested in the 21" airplane.

Thanks,  Pat
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:04:08 PM by pat king »
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline John r Kamps

• New Pilot
Re: Baby Flite Streak Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
I vote yes.
Having both brodak and topflite baby flitestreak's(brodak's fly's great)
Having seen the quality of your kit's and the reasonable price you should sell some.
The topflite one's on ebay are a little high on price and if you wan't to actually fly it your's would be hard to beat.

John.

Offline jamtx

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
I would.
James Karnes
Abilene,TX.

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
I have added a picture of the plans.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
blank
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:25:46 AM by Air Master »

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
              Pat , I think it would be a great option to have the fuse made to accept beam mount engines. I know you stated that Brodak has made their version available for that purpose. Its just the Brodak wing is slightly more complicated than the version your presenting. The Brodak version has a semi complicated two part leading edge and quite a bit more ribs. This makes repairing bad. This would also give the builder/flyer the ability to install a tank that will give suitable air time. The Cox integral tank engines just don't cut it when it comes to suitable flights. In the event the builder decides to go with the Cox integral tank route than they have the ability to do so by cutting off the nose. The beam mounted engines just provide a more suitable run which are less finicky than the reed type engines. The biggest problems faced with early 1/2 A designs was the short nose that you just couldn't fit a tank on. This usually meant cutting out a rib and mounting within the wing which then usually makes for tank height and plumbing problems. Either way you decide to go, you have my vote as I think your offering a terrific service. Ken Cook

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
              Pat , I think it would be a great option to have the fuse made to accept beam mount engines. I know you stated that Brodak has made their version available for that purpose. Its just the Brodak wing is slightly more complicated than the version your presenting. The Brodak version has a semi complicated two part leading edge and quite a bit more ribs. This makes repairing bad. This would also give the builder/flyer the ability to install a tank that will give suitable air time. The Cox integral tank engines just don't cut it when it comes to suitable flights. In the event the builder decides to go with the Cox integral tank route than they have the ability to do so by cutting off the nose. The beam mounted engines just provide a more suitable run which are less finicky than the reed type engines. The biggest problems faced with early 1/2 A designs was the short nose that you just couldn't fit a tank on. This usually meant cutting out a rib and mounting within the wing which then usually makes for tank height and plumbing problems. Either way you decide to go, you have my vote as I think your offering a terrific service. Ken Cook
Ken,
The Brodak airplane is a larger airplane, it is designed for the modern 1/2A engines. I'll look into designing the airplane to have a kit available for building it for beam mount engines. The Surestart engines use a remote tank the same as the beam mount engines. The engine mounting plate has holes for the integral tank Cox engines and the surestart engines. Most of the 1/2A airplanes are not really stunt airplanes. They will do loops and wingovers, but are not really stunt airplanes, therefore most people do not concern themselves with trying to do the pattern with them.
Thanks for the input, it gives me more to think about. y1

Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »
I think you are planning on a model that is too small!  Smaller even than the 1/2A Snapper at 105 sq.in.  The Snapper flies just fine with an ancient Atwood Wasp (actually will do the full stunt pattern), and becomes a terror with the Shriek.  It flew well with a Cub.  In addition, I think with the Babe Bee, it is going to be horribly noseheavy!  At 99 sq.in. it is about the size of the old Lil Jumpin' Bean.

The Brodak Flite Streak is actually about the right size for twin-port reed engines at 150 sq.in.  It is too small for, say the AP Wasp by about 50 sq.in.!  Both the Baby Clown and Baby Flite Streak will do the complete pattern in reasonable fashion.  My Baby Clown had a PAW .035 on it and flew great!    I recall that Top Flite's Baby Flite Streak was 135 sq.in., as were the P-51 and the two others in that lineup.

One of our local modelers put an AP Wasp on a Baby Clown, and it simpley SCREAMS arount the circle.  And that with a 2" pitch prop, as I recall.

The RSM Sky Sport is 190sq.in., and about the minimumfor that class of engine (Tee Dee .049, Norvel Big Mig, AP Wasp).  That model flies just fine on a Medallion .049 or Brodak .049 Mk 1 and 38' lines.

The Baby Magician, Pinto and Hunter Stunters are about the right size for the .061s at 230 sq.in.

RSM's Miss Ashley is 120 sq.in. and designed for the Babe Bee.  It will loop very nicely, and if equipped with the stunt tank, will do 8's and inverted flight.

Minnesotamodeler's Lil Geo is 135 sq.in., and I expect it to fly well with a tame Fox .049 or Medallion .049.

Depending on who your audience is, I would go up to 110 sq.in. and design it around the "Ready to Fly" or "Product" or "Sure Start" engine and a separate tank.  Look into incorporating a tank compartment for a balloon tank, as they work extremely well, are very light weight, available and CHEAP.  (Do a search on them, they have been covered extensively in the 1/2 A section)

Good luck with your plans.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:36:23 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
Larry,
I appreciate your input. Brodak's airplane is a 26 1/4" 150 square inch airplane. My Ringmaster 150 is a 26 1/4" 150 square inch airplane. Both are designed for beam mount 1/2A engines. The original Top Flite airplane was 24 1/2" wingspan with a quoted 145 square inches. I will be producing this one at 24 1/2" wingspan which gives me 137 square inches. The engine mounting plate will have holes for the Babe Bee type engines and the Surestart engines. A Surestart engine with it's remote tank is a great choice for the kit I will produce. I am going for a nostalgia airplane, more of a sport airplane than a stunt airplane. I am mostly making kits of airplanes that we had when we were younger, most of those are not available, or too costly to build and fly. I want to let people return to their younger days. I totally agree that any modern .061 engine needs 200 square inches.
Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Bill Spencer

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:27:32 AM »
I like it! #^
I'll buy one! Great work Pat (again).
Bill Spencer
AMA185060

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
blank
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:32:36 AM by Air Master »

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »
Rusty,
Sorry about the check. I'll get it to the bank on Monday. I am working on the Baby Flite Streak. I did the airplane at 1/2 size of the Streak. I then found out that the Top Flite Baby FS is 24" span. I am re-designing the airplane to have a 24" wingspan and 137 square inches. It will be a week or more before I have the drawings done. I will be offering kits without going through the prototype process.

Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
blank
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:32:52 AM by Air Master »

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
I have finished the drawings for the 24" Baby Flite Streak. I should have kits and prices for them in three or four weeks.  #^ Here are what the plans look like.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here